Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #31
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
I went from a BMW 2000 R1100R to an 08 Heritage Softail. You can't compare one against the other as they are both totally different animals. As an all around bike ( I live in a high wind area ) the Heritage suits me and the type of riding I now do and it is just fun to ride. You never doubt that you are on a motorcycle when you are riding the HD.

I still like BMW bikes and currently am restoring a R75/6. So I guess you can say I'm in a time warp with air cooled motorcycles.

As somebody else has said, buy what puts a smile on your face and what fits your needs and don't worry about what others think. If you did you wouldn't be riding a motorcycle.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
CdnGS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I owned a '06 R1200GS and was ready to pull the trigger on a Electra Glide Ultra after a number of test rides. Went back to BMW to test ride an RT, 1600GT and a GSA to confirm that I was making the right choice. Instead I ending up signing the papers on a new triple black GSA. Got the full 3 piece luggage system with it.

There was no comparison with the HD as far as flexibility and fun factor. I'm real glad I took my time, did a bunch of test rides on different bikes and ended up making the right choice (for me). I still like the sound and look of the FLH but they are apples to oranges. The GS line is truly a do it all bike.

Good luck with your decision.
CdnGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #33
Tiago
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Well, I rode a 1200cc Sportster (XL1200N) for 2 and half years. Loved the bike's looks, and despite being a hefty pig by pretty much any standard, a friend of mine who races his motorcycle was always amazed that despite moving like a slug compared to his bike, the tires would be worn pretty much everywhere. I rocked that boat anchor!

Still, I had to modify it rather extensively until the point where it became a good bike. Suspension and brakes were dreadful. The gearbox was still more effective than the brakes at stopping it, but handling improved dramatically with the suspension mods. Ultimately, it was a fun, if impratical bike, and due to several factors I got rid of it.

4 months later, got a great deal on a new G650GS. Love it to death. Handles great, brakes great, does everything, no immediate and urgent need for suspension tweaking (as in it's not dangerous to ride it stock), and is a much nicer, more polished motorcycle experience.

The only things I miss from the Sportster are the rumble (not the exhaust, but the feeling from that motor) and the minimalistic 'if it breaks I can fix it' nature of it. I guess I may buy another one someday, but will have to be carb-based, pre-2004. I don't much care about the rest of HD's lineup.
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #34
ASQTec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I couldn't handle the conversion. I have one of each.

2006 H-D FLHPI
2003 BMW R1150RT-P
ASQTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #35
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,342
I've one GS and a number of Harleys. I personally prefer the Harleys. For ADV bikes, I also preferred the Buell Ulysses over the BMW. I have no real complaints with the BMW other than the horrible seat and excessive buffeting (both fixable), I just enjoy the Harleys more.
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Smopho
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I went from a KLR650 to a Wide Glide to a Road Glide and now a Tiger 800XC, which is as close to a Beemer GS800 as you can get. I still have the Road Glide though and don't plan on ever getting rid of it as long as I can still ride. On the interstate you can't beat the Glide for big mile days. For back roads it's Tiger all the way. I think I've got a balance here that satisfies both sides of my brain.
Smopho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 981
Went from a 2010 FLHTK to a 2011 R12RT, to a 2012 GS/A. Loved the Harley, was indifferent about the RT, love the Adventure. Still have a 2005 Night Train. Love to hit the lottery and get a Road Glide.

'05Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #38
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Have gone both ways, owning more HDs than BMWs. Currently have a K1200R, however, which I consider to be a perfect bike, for me at any rate. To go to an HD now it would have to be a Sportster for clunking around town or some version of a V-Rod. The big twin HD is boring.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #39
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASQTec View Post
I couldn't handle the conversion. I have one of each.
+1

It's easy to underestimate one's capacity to enjoy both bikes.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:15 AM   #40
vaexplorer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I ride a 99 Road King. My favorite bike I don't own is an R1200RT. BMW is definitely lighter, to say the least, and has more comforts (heated grips, heated seat, electric windscreen, better wind protection).

Earlier in the thread one of the posters was talking about riding his Harley down a road at what he thought was a good pace and getting passed by some BMWs like he was standing still. Made me chuckle at myself, because when folks come up behind me on the Harley, I normally just move over. I ride the Harley to look around. If I had to eat miles or get somewhere in a timely fashion, I might favor the BMW. The BMW seems like a great tool with a lot of thought behind it to accomplish the mission, the Harley feels like a time machine.
vaexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #41
eliotsajerkface
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
I traded my GS for a 48 and couldn't be happier. The GS was a huge pig, couldn't lane split very comfortably, a pain in the ass to park in tight spaces, and not practical for a less than 100 mile trip.
In Northern California, the sportster is treating me very well.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #42
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I'm on the fence with this very issue right now. I just took a deposit from a guy buying my RT because I just couldn't get comfortable on it. I liked the easy maintenance and performance, but comfort has been an issue. I don't have a lot of time for trips, so when I do go, I like to get some big mile days in. That's why the comfort thing is big for me. Even on a local day ride, 300 miles is normal. On a trip, 500 works for for me in a day.

I like the Harley's for a number of reasons, some of which parallel the BMW boxer such as easy maintenance and re sale value. What I've been looking at is the touring line. Test ridden the Kings and the Glides. All new frame models. I really enjoyed them. The King looks fantastic but the comfort and storage on on the eglide was great. I don't mind the weight. I'm a small guy, but I didn't think it was bad.

What has me on the fence is the performance I'm worried I'll miss, the potential for engine heat, and having never owned an HD I just don't know what to expect as far as reliability. At least on the BMW I know my fuel strip will go out, my fuel pump will quit, and my final drive will self destruct at some point.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdriver View Post
I'm on the fence with this very issue right now. I just took a deposit from a guy buying my RT because I just couldn't get comfortable on it. I liked the easy maintenance and performance, but comfort has been an issue. I don't have a lot of time for trips, so when I do go, I like to get some big mile days in. That's why the comfort thing is big for me. Even on a local day ride, 300 miles is normal. On a trip, 500 works for for me in a day.

I like the Harley's for a number of reasons, some of which parallel the BMW boxer such as easy maintenance and re sale value. What I've been looking at is the touring line. Test ridden the Kings and the Glides. All new frame models. I really enjoyed them. The King looks fantastic but the comfort and storage on on the eglide was great. I don't mind the weight. I'm a small guy, but I didn't think it was bad.

What has me on the fence is the performance I'm worried I'll miss, the potential for engine heat, and having never owned an HD I just don't know what to expect as far as reliability. At least on the BMW I know my fuel strip will go out, my fuel pump will quit, and my final drive will self destruct at some point.
There are few bikes that can match a Touring Harley for eating miles. While I miss the comfort and stability of my FLHTK for all-day highway riding, and I really miss the tire life, when I get to my destination, the GS/A is far more entertaining to ride.

I never really had a problem with heat, but there's no doubt that the Adventure transmits less of it to my passenger and I.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #44
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
The GSA is actually a consideration because of all the "knowns", lack of plastic and big tank, but for a couple years, I've been on the balls of my feet(without issue so far), and the idea of flat footing a bike is pretty appealing as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #45
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdriver View Post
The GSA is actually a consideration because of all the "knowns", lack of plastic and big tank, but for a couple years, I've been on the balls of my feet(without issue so far), and the idea of flat footing a bike is pretty appealing as well.
Yeah, that is a nice thing, especially with the wife on the back and loaded with 2 weeks of stuff.

FWIW, I didn't care for the RT much. I was happier the day I traded it in (at a loss) on the GS/A than I was the day I got it.