Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
I may have bought a DRZ and regretted it.

I bought a brand new DRZ in September, after riding my VFR the whole summer and realizing I'm just too tall for it. I've been riding dirt for all my life, and have had some seriously fast machines, though hadn't owned one for two years prior to inheriting my VFR in fall of 2012. I wanted to buy new, and wanted something completely street legal but light enough for fast dirt roads and trails. I was between a 500exc, a 690 and a DRZ. I had a suspicion the DRZ would get boring, but I wanted to go new and, while I could afford it at the time, the price tag of the 690 and 500exc were almost double the DRZ and although I knew there was a vast difference in performance between them, the price tag and job uncertainty led me to purchase the DRZ. I should add that my dream bike has been the 690 since they came out. Should also add I'll be riding two up with my girlfriend this summer, and the drz is too small for that.

So here I am, 750 miles in on my new DRZ and I can't help but occasionally think I made the wrong choice. Dual sporting is the most fun I've had on two wheels... More fun than I ever would have thought, and while the DRZ is a blast, I find myself already looking at big bore kits, exhausts, the FCR carb, heavier suspension... And that's not to mention the $500 or so worth of upgrades I've already made.

I'll digress add that this is my first year living in Northern Vermont, and I have cabin fever, as it has been a winter of rain, incredibly low temperatures and little snow, with thoughts and recollections of the amazing riding terrain we have around here! Read: no snowboarding, no snowmobiling and certainly no motorcycling. Lots of time to think and obsess. I've also been drinking coffee for 8 hours.

So, anyways, I have a few choices. (VFR will be sold in spring)

1. Keep the DRZ and perform another $500-$1,000 making it my own, leaving well enough alone. Sell VFR and buy cheap vstrom 1,000 for two up.

2. Sell/trade in the DRZ for a new 690 and make a ridiculously poor financial decision but become spiritual with my motorcycle choice once more.

3. Sell/trade in DRZ for a 990 and make an even worse financial decision but make the girlfriend happier at the expense of some dirt-ability.

Let me also add, I'm 6'8", 280 lbs, and ride 50%street and 50%dirt, which is mostly maintained gravel roads and double track.

Any advice?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 980
whatever you do, lose the DRZ.... it ain't enough bike fer' yer' big azz....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,996
The advice you will get on ADV will only cost you money,having said that,off the DRZ and get the 690. I once spent way too much trying to "fix" a DRZ and it couldnt be done,especially for a tall person,they dont fit tall people.
And they are heavy odd handling things at the best of times.

Its only money,maybe a cherry slightly used 690 could be found?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Yeah man. I think having written this post to begin with shows that I just need to get my dream bike. Only money, right? I might delete this anyways, these threads are lame.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,385
I raced the DRZ400y in MX and scrambles. It had soft but effective smooth power compared to the YZF426 that I just didn't like. The power difference between mine and yours is a base gasket, the FCR and a full T4 exhaust. (I added the full exhaust, the other bits were as delivered.

Mine had full Race Tech suspension too. It was as good as anything else then IMO. Not a brute, but easy to ride at WFO.

I'd get the carb, JD jet kit and a slip on like the FMF Q4. Then gear it as you need, and don't be afraid to really experiment with sprockets.

The bike itself is not bad once you get past what the EPA did to it. Carb, exhaust, gearing for sound testing.

Edit, I'm 6-01, the ergos were goofy for sure. I did a bar adapter and high tapers. Better, not great.
I have a EXC530 now, tall seat, bars raised over a GPR damper. EXC is the ultimate answer IMO. 530 or 500.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #6
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
You said girlfriend, not wife. That means go for what you want. If it was the wife, your ass better get the 990 and live with it!
Lose the DRZ. It's not the right bike for you now or in the future. Why not let the girlfriend ride the DRZ and you get the 690?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Adanac rider
The Great Gazoo

Oddometer: 59
The 690 is to small for 2-up, We are not big and it was too cramped.Sell drz and vfr, get a Husky 610-630 and an older gs-1100-1200.
Adanac rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Navin
Unwounding

I missed the 2 up part. In that case, run to get a Husky 650 before they are all gone forever. It won't be much of a dirt bike, but it looks like the best single cylinder 2 up bike ever built.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Tallbastid OP
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by burmbuster View Post
Lose the DRZ. It's not the right bike for you now or in the future. Why not let the girlfriend ride the DRZ and you get the 690?
Can't believe I'm getting so much feedback! You guys must have cabin fever too. I'd love to do this, but it would be too much $$ tied up in bikes and she doesn't want to ride her own bike anymore. Some dickhead tailgated her last summer and spooked her. Also have to say my gf was pushing for me to get the 690. I had to be all responsible and shit and now it's gonna end up costing more.

Navin: thanks for the advice, but it's not lost on me that you now have a KTM.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
ALWAYS get the dream bike if possible

as for this cabin fever you speak of..GO RIDE...rain BAH who cares ride anyway..cold..bundle up..but for the love of the bike GO RIDE!

you have earned an "i told you so" from her....
83 xl600r(plated), 86 xr250r, 84 xr250(plated), 86 kdx200, 03 zr7s(ninja'd), 76 mr175(moms old bike and my second bike in 83?), 79 xl125s(parts bike), 200sx fourtrax, 03 interceptor(forsale come spring), 80 xl500s(forsale come spring)
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
Navin
Unwounding

Yep, and with unlimited $ I'd tell you go buy one too! If you are going to get killed on the DRZ, it could be worse to be honest. I raced my DRZ for 2-3 years and then it retired to DS riding and is still owned by a friend of the family. The engine has never come apart except valve checks.

If I had to own one today, I'd survive. I doubt my lap times on the track would change at all with the "Y" model prepped right.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 143
I was in almost the same spot as you last year. I rode my DRZ all over, but I eventually wanted more. After adding up all of the mods I wanted to do I soon realized I should start with a better platform.
That being said, I loved the DRZ. It was extremely reliable, easy to work on, parts were cheap and it took a lot of abuse. The only reason I don't still own it is purely financial.
But somebody of your size is going to have to do work to almost anything to get it to work well for you.......and DRZ parts are WAY cheaper than 690 parts!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #13
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,222
Let me just say I feel your pain Two bikes or one to rule them all?

A DRZ and a Vstrom...yikes man have you no self respect

You could go down the 690 road but you'd need to spend some cash making it comfy for 2 up riding, but it aint a 2up bike really.

The 990 for my money is the only bike on your list which will tick all your boxes (cept for the financial one) if you want one bike. There are good 2nd hand options around if you look for them which would keep the costs down.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #14
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
Yeah man. I think having written this post to begin with shows that I just need to get my dream bike. Only money, right? I might delete this anyways, these threads are lame.
The regrets threads are lame indeed,they attract a lot of traffic though.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #15
Navin
Unwounding

Regerts, I've had a few...