Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The Hammer was just slightly worse than the Judge in the cornering department but it was marginable. I really like the looks of the Hammer S and the other riders said I looked good on it. That aside, I am now more focused on the Triumph Thunderbird Storm but you have me curious about the Rocket Roadster. All the write ups I've read were positive and if I were to purchase one, many of it's chrome pieces will find their way to the powder coater, especially the radiator shroud and the air box. I will have to add my artistic touch in the form of a custom 3 into 1 stainless header which I will fab myself to give it that true hot rod look.
Again, the Victory was and still is a sentmental favorite but I do like a bit more handling.
Quedok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,301
I bought 2010 Thunderbird SE. I know it's not a Storm, but it is a similar model. I like it. How's that for a ringing endorsement? Seriously, though, it's a great bike and I think Triumph did a lpt of things well. The horrible fuel economy was what nudged the Rocket out for me (although shaft drive was attractive). Also the Thunderbird was considered one of the best handling cruisers at the time (I don't know if that's changed). I get around 42 MPG no matter how I ride and generally the bike is a good commuter that handles reasonably well given what it is. I still haven't done any longer distance rides on it. Honestly though, if the Guzzi california had a more powerful charging system, I would have bought one of them instead. Also, consider buying used. They go pretty cheap.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #18
vicster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Rocket's horrible fuel mileage?? It's because you can't leave the throttle alone on the damn things! Or at least I can't. Srewin' around, I get around 34 or 35. Ridden like a cruiser or a tourer I get 40 to 42. Won't match the TBird, but that's kind of an apples and oranges thing.

Victory does have an optional longer shock for their tube frame bikes, as does Penske, etc. but they oughtta have at least one stock model with more clearance. Ironic that their baggers have more cornering clearance.
vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #19
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is true the Victory baggers have greater ground clearance than their cruisers. I have a BMW with bags which I use for that purpose and that's why I want a cruiser, no frills just a comfortable ride with some style and attitude thrown in just because.
I'm sure the Rocket can manage mid 40 mpg numbers if you can resist having some extra fun. I just want to see one up close but it seems like the show rooms are empty of them right now.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #20
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I've ridden both the Rocket Roadster and the Storm and I love them both. With all the incentives right now, and the slit preference I have, I'd go with a Storm for sure. If you are buying used though there some great deals on rockets out there.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The problem I have is trying to find a dealer with a Rocket Roadster I can ride. It seems like they get very few because they sell very few. I love the way the Storm rides and handles for such a heavy bike. Acceleration is good as well. I still want to ride a Rocket just because.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedok View Post
The problem I have is trying to find a dealer with a Rocket Roadster I can ride. It seems like they get very few because they sell very few. I love the way the Storm rides and handles for such a heavy bike. Acceleration is good as well. I still want to ride a Rocket just because.
Resale will be far easier on a storm or tbird than a rocket as well.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #23
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I finally got to ride a Rocket Roadster

Today I went out to Simi Valley Cycles to get a side by side comparison with the Triumph Thunderbird and the Rocket Roadster III. It just so happens they were next to each other in the show room so I proceded to sit on one, then the other and back again. I was almost convinced that the Thunderbird Storm was a shoe in as my next bike but I needed to check out this big black beast of a bike.
All the dealers in my part of the county had none. So across the Ventura County line I went to finally see one up close. I asked if they had a demo I cound ride but no dice. As I asked more and more about the bike like how it sounds, Ric the salesman grabbed the keys and started it for me right in the show room! Stock this has a very sweet exhaust note but menacing at the same time. Then out of the blue, Kevin the head hancho said he would let me ride it.......Awsome!!!!!
They let me take it for a 10 mile ride and boy was I impressed. For an 800lb bike this thing feel lighter that it is. Torque is flat out amazing, more like a muscle car than a motorcycle. Riding position was very neutral. Seat felt comfortable and the bars were just right for me. At 6'6 the bike and I looked normal, to anyone else it's a monster.
Now comes the hard part, or easy part depending how I look at it, making the decision. I may not sleep tonight.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #24
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
If I were you I would be waiting to see what the spec's are on the new moto guzzi 1400 California when they are released next month. My guess is it will have superior handling and braking to the storm
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #25
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Moto Guzzi

I just got a glimps of the new Guzzi and it looks great. I am curious as to the torque output. My choices for a cruiser have narrowed in tha past month or so and I may have to give the Guzzi a look, but it will take a very special bike to be more comfortable to me that the Triumph......so far.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #26
ddddd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quedok View Post
I just got a glimps of the new Guzzi and it looks great. I am curious as to the torque output. My choices for a cruiser have narrowed in tha past month or so and I may have to give the Guzzi a look, but it will take a very special bike to be more comfortable to me that the Triumph......so far.
It will not have the torque output of the storm its a totally different type of engine, the storm being a large 1700 twin (with 2 balance shafts) and has a huge stroke. The Guzzi has a larger bore than stroke and a 90deg V twin (therefore no balance shaft) makes it a much freer higher revving happier engine, think of it as more of a sports cruiser compared to the tradition long stroke smaller bore large capacity engines
Personally when ride bikes with the big long stroke twin cylinder engines they aways feel so slow in engine response, I get the feeling they must have flywheels off tractors on them.
ddddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
KingOfFleece
SplitWeight(tm)

Oddometer: 746
Our dealer has both Triumph and Victory. I have ridden every single one of them many times as I lead demo rides for him. I also do extended demo tours with buyers from time to time. Vics are fine machines but in no way are any of their motors "fun" like the Triumph motors. Horses for courses, of course, and what makes a great bagger motor is not what makes a great cruiser motor. Yes, I know it's a general statement.

The Triumph "fun" factor on the 1700 and R3 is simply great and no Vic motor has nearly the same feeling. Better? For who? As for the R3, well, as the saying goes 'too much is just enough." You'll find Rocket riders don't give a hoot or holler about fuel, size. looks, or anything else. There is nothing like 140 pounds-feet of twisting torque. Nothing.

Get ANY of 'em and you'll be fine. One more thing: 1700's and R3's never get traded in. On the other hand quite a few harleys get traded for Vics.
KingOfFleece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #28
Quedok OP
Gnarly Adventurer

You have a very valid point. The big Triumphs seem to have the market cornered in the fun department. There is nothing like massive amounts of torque to amplify that fun. The Thunderbird Storm looks great and the Rocket III has looks that takes some getting used to but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Size does matter!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #29
MikeJansen
Lost

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
Ah, thanks for this! I thought the lighter flywheels just made it too responsive at low rev's. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to just lower the compression?
Lowering the compression would have cost HP and torque. It would have also decreased efficiency. The engine geometry was kinda set up to be more 'revy' than a traditional big cube v-twin but after some more market research in *how* many big cube riders used the rpm range it was felt that smoothness at low rpm was paramount. Most riders on this side of the pond would not think about shifting from first to second at 1700 rpm but in the US it was discovered that this is exactly the behavior that is expected.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #30
Fun Lovin' Criminal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Great bikes - I changed from an 1150GS to a Storm earlier this year - no regrets at all - best bike I've had.
Addictive torque, surprisingly good handling, great road presence. Only problem is getting away from people who want to ask questions about it.

A couple of things to be aware of:
1) Vibration - some do it, some don't. I get vibes through the left bar at 70 mph. Solution - go faster.
2) Various noises including rattles, squeaks, chirps (really). Again, some do it, some don't. Solution - ignore it or wear ear plugs.

Do it - you'll never look back
Fun Lovin' Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote