Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
samueleuk OP
Sam

Oddometer: 70
How to assess your fitness before the trip

Hi guys

on my blog on the scientific aspects of adventure motorcycling, I posted a description of a simple test that you can do if you want to assess your aerobic fitness before the trip: the Rockport Walking Test

I have also calculated the minimum level of aerobic fitness for adventure motorcycling:

The Science of Adventure Motorcycling: Minimum level of aerobic fitness for adventure motorcycling

These calculations assume that you trip will include some off-road riding. If you are going to ride only on the road, you dont need to get particularly fit.

Having said that, even a moderate level of fitness reduces risk of many diseases (e.g. heart attack) and prolong life. So it is a good idea to be fit anyway.

As posted previously, if your trip includes riding at high altitude, you need to take into account the negative effect of hypoxia on aerobic fitness, and increase your target. More information here:

The Science of Adventure Motorcycling: Are you fit for riding at high altitude?

In future posts on my blog and here, I will provide guidelines on how to develop aerobic fitness. Also, I will provide guidelines on how to test and develop muscular fitness, a very important fitness component for adventure bike riders.

Drive safe and healthy

Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #2
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
The picture of the scientifically enhanced runner is smokin!

Bravo
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
The picture of the scientifically enhanced runner is smokin!

Bravo
She is fit indeed. I guess it could be used as a motivational tool. I would jog every day if she was running around here
Old 09-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
2handedSpey
bunned

Oddometer: 237
I gotta be honest, i read the article but did pay more attention to her bewbies!

Btw, I really like your articles/ blog. Thank you!

2handedSpey screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:56 PM
2handedSpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Is this the 'new modern' assessment to be used by 'modern' people for said task/adventure?

Is realitly a factor these days, or not?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2handedSpey View Post
I gotta be honest, i read the article but did pay more attention to her bewbies and peePee patch!

Btw, I really like your articles/ blog. Thank you!
you are welcome. thanks for the positive feedback on my blog (and my choice of illustrations)
Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #7
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Nice blog, important subject. I look forward to the excercises one can carry out, because it's important.

A question on fatigue though: you wrote that the demands of driving a car is less than a mc, so the fatigue from understimulation is less of a factor. However, c an this not be offset by the fatigue from the same factors, e.g. wind noise and "wrestling"? I notice in myself after a long day on the autobahns of Europe that noise in particular is an underestimated source of fatigue. Is this something you've seen in your research?

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
samueleuk OP
Sam

Noise and Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
Nice blog, important subject. I look forward to the excercises one can carry out, because it's important.

A question on fatigue though: you wrote that the demands of driving a car is less than a mc, so the fatigue from understimulation is less of a factor. However, c an this not be offset by the fatigue from the same factors, e.g. wind noise and "wrestling"? I notice in myself after a long day on the autobahns of Europe that noise in particular is an underestimated source of fatigue. Is this something you've seen in your research?
Thanks for your positive feedback, and for the very relevant question. I have already replied to you on my blog, but I will copy it here as it may be of interest to other readers.

You are right. Rider fatigue is very complex, and something that may reduce understimulation (e.g., noise) may actually increase the demands of riding a bike and cause fatigue anyway.

I am not aware of any study on the effects of noise during motorbike riding on fatigue. However, there is plenty of evidence that noise significantly increases fatigue in people involved in other tasks.

You may want to read this article on this subject: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12689367

It would be nice to do an experimental study on the effects of helmets with different level of noise insulation on rider fatigue. We should contact AGV or any other helmet manufacturer, they may be interested in such research
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Is this the 'new modern' assessment to be used by 'modern' people for said task/adventure?

Is realitly a factor these days, or not?
Reality check.

Am I fit enough to do this?

1. Did I wake up alive?
Yes, go to step 2.
No, go back to sleep.

2. Pack your shit and git.

Self imposed professionals have to create new professions to be able to call themselves professionals.

C'mon now, it's not like some fat dude who smokes has ever been able to ride a motorcycle across country before, that's all just mythology.

I'll be glad when these skinny jeaned hypsters move on to the next fad.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyprimate View Post
Reality check.

Am I fit enough to do this?

1. Did I wake up alive?
Yes, go to step 2.
No, go back to sleep.

2. Pack your shit and git.

Self imposed professionals have to create new professions to be able to call themselves professionals.

C'mon now, it's not like some fat dude who smokes has ever been able to ride a motorcycle across country before, that's all just mythology.

I'll be glad when these skinny jeaned hypsters move on to the next fad.
Wish I was skinny jeaned

By the way, the aerobic fitness level I calculated (which is not very high anyway) is for riding a motorbike off-road without becoming excessively fatigued. If you ride a motorbike on the road only (or if you dont mind getting fatigued off road), aerobic fitness is not important.

Personally, when I ride off-road I dont like getting excessively fatigued as I stop enjoying myself. This is why I do aerobic training.

Muscular fitness and its training is even more important off road, so I will post several articles about it in the future.

samueleuk screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 12:34 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Can you still get your leg ,over the bike?
GOOD TO GO. :)
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
I don't quite understand this. I think when it comes to riding bikes, especially off-road technique and skill can make up for a lack of fitness. I can't think of a time that I've ever been on a trip that my physical fitness was an issue, and at 5' 7" 215lbs I'm probably not the most athletic person. I think a lot of it depends on how hard you push yourself and whether or not you know your physical limits. Even if you're a marathon runner you can over do it. Knowing when to stop or when to take a break is as important if not more than your fitness level I think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm in shape to race at baja or anything. However I have no problems pushing myself for 5-7 days of camping and riding on extremely technical off-road trails. Being fit is good, but knowing your limits is just as-if not more important.
DRZ400SM with SM/DS wheelsets Sold
2002 Honda VFR Interceptor Went Kablooey!
Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,944
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=826358
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
samueleuk OP
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm in shape to race at baja or anything. However I have no problems pushing myself for 5-7 days of camping and riding on extremely technical off-road trails. Being fit is good, but knowing your limits is just as-if not more important.
I totally agree. Knowing your limits is important, and you can certainly undertake adventure motorcycling without being particularly fit.

However, it is pretty clear that, by improving your fitness, you can delay fatigue whilst riding off road.

Personally, I prefer riding rather than stopping frequently and limit my mileage because I am tired. So I am going to do quite a lot of physical training in preparation for my trip next year which will also include some high altitude.

There is also some evidence that physical training improves cognitive performance (e.g. reaction time) and this can only be a good thing when we ride a motorbike. I will review this scientific research in future posts in my blog.

In the end, doing some physical training is a personal choice. I just provide scientific evidence that being fit can help adventure bike riders, and give some advice for people like me who want to be fit for their trip.

Cheers

Sam

samueleuk screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 02:24 AM
Old 09-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Are no-brainers no longer recognized these days?

Is confirmation from other people and other sources now needed for personal validation and security?

Do you want an app for your telephone?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote