User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
That's an interesting question, Klav.

The answer is that I think the BV500 might have been a bit better on some of the bad road sections because its handling really is superior to the Silverwing IMO and is really more akin to a motorcycle. I think it also might have been a bit more comfortable.

Where it would not have done as well, I think, is on the Interstate and in making passes around semis...the power is significantly less than the SWing. It'll run at 75 indicated all day long, but it takes a while to get there...

Who knows? Maybe I'll give that a shot next...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
loved the report! awesome pics!

i used to tour on my burgman 650. now i have a majesty 400 and iv got it setup for touring. ill start this fall taking some multi day rides. ill report here.
Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #18
ceke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
nice report, looks like lots of riders sticking to the cooler coastline this summer. I will need to make it further north on my next ride up yonder.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
I don't quite understand why the title of this excellent thread is in inverted commas, ie: "scooter." Is there any doubt that the Silver Wing is in fact a scooter? Judging by the photography an entirely capable one too, if there were any doubt.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Most people think of scooters as 50cc bikes suitable for going grocery shopping and running along at no more than 35 mph. Not knocking those...different tools for different uses...but folks tend to lump the maxis like the Silverwing in with them...I can't tell you how many times during this trip I spoke with people, including folks on traditional motorcycles, who were very surprised to learn that the machine was carrying me on a multi-state tour and that it would go 100+ mph if needed. A lot of people were very surprised about the machine's capabilities.

That's why the word "scooter" is in quotations. Was not meant to denigrate anyone or anything, just an expression of how people underestimated what it was capable of...
Old 09-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
The number of folks who would say "you rode all the way from Texas on that" when I'm riding a 500cc Scarabeo or BV is impressive. Heck, I even had folks make similar comments when I was touring on a Burgman. It is fun to pass bigger and heavier motorcycles when I'm going 85-90. Most don't realize its a "scooter" until I'm even with them but at a gas station quite a few do. When they've waved "goodbye" or just rush off to get away from "a scooter" when you leave a stop at the same time they do then seem quite surprised that you stay with them until the next light or construction stop or whatever. Scooters are too associate with small displacement 50cc level scoots for many to realize just how capable they really can be.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,702
Great trip. I love the Silverwing. Hope to own one someday.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
sinned
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Nice RR
Luv'd the photos - very scenic.
Rode around NZ many times, but spent 3 months riding there in MArch-June one month was on a rented 250 Majesty which was great to ride off the pavement as it was light and very flick-able. The other two months I bought a Brugman Exec (650) which was excellent for the distances I was covering on a daily basis, but not so good on the off road sections due to its weight and wider diameter tyres. Still had a great time... touring on a scooter is lots of fun, and I like the ability that large scoots provide many amenities and offer plenty of protection from the elements. This means to me that even if the weather isn't ideal for riding, I'll usually still give it a shot, whereas if I was riding one of my other traditional motorcycles I'd likely give it a miss. The only wish I have is that someone comes out with a maxi scooter that offers everything found on the maxis' but has the ability to handle off pavement better...

I'm wondering if the NC700D integra might fit the bill, with better than average off pavement/off road manners for a maxi?
Kiwi ADVenturer inmate Dr, Paramedic, NP, (ex)firefighter exploring life via the ADVenturous 2 wheeled route. It's not the destination but the journey & choices made therein; that determines the measure of ones legacy. Don't sweat the small stuff, life happens while we're not looking. Hug those around you who have a place & meaning in your life, for it may not come again.
sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
oldbeatupguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
It was good talking with you in Shaniko! Perhaps we'll meet again.

Oldbeatupguy AKA Gorge Rider
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey there!! I remember you...you have the C109! That was a nice chat in a most improbable place...

Hope all is well. I made it back without any issues and had a good little run.

Hope to see you down the road.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 AM   #26
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

BTW, will you be going to Amerivespa next year since it's being held in San Diego? Our Sports City is already in California so I've made my reservations already. Just a question of whether my son (the reason the SC is in Californa) will be there or my husband (technically the SC is his) will be with me and what I'll be riding if one or both of them do come.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #27
Bama Gringo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Why in the hell more people arent touring by maxi scooter is beyond me! they are such great machines. I do more riding on my majesty 400 than on any motorcycle iv ever had. well, except for a vstrom i once had.

but seriously, a maxi scooter is ideal for a multi day ride. theres the comfort, storage, rain protection, ease of use, low weight distribution, etc.

im crazy about this majesty 400. it runs on the interstate just fine . i was concerned about that before i bought it. but with just me and my gear , its got good power. faster than most average cars for sure! top speed about 100mph. i wouldnt tour 2 up on it though.

for instance, this coming weekend, im packing a bag and heading to the mtns for 3 days. it will be about 400 miles per day avg.

iv had it since july and put 3000 miles on it already! heres some pics of it...

Bama Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #28
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Well...I just finished a mountaintop round-trip in Colorado, with my Burgman 650. Yup, it's comfortable...no monkey-arse and no numbness from vibration in the grips. But, but, BUT...

First, grip on the road isn't anything to write home about. I felt spookiness on some of the sweepers and hairpins...I was actually slower than a few cages. And with the Tupperware...I was afraid of dragging something; pulling off something big and spinning out. As you can imagine, traffic was pretty heavy on the Million Dollar Highway.

Second...seating position, while comfortable, doesn't give the command of the machine that straddling it does. It's like...the difference between sitting down alongside your dog, and straddling him between your legs as you try to "remonstrate" with him. The sitting position is comfortable. It's not one where I feel I'm dominating the machine through the maneuver.

That said...it was a good trip. Just not one where I really got to show off or get the adrenaline flowing....

(THAT was for walks around town at 10,000 feet. GASP! GASP!)
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
gumshoe4 OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice Majesty photos, cmn.

I have to agree with you, Casey...I had similar concerns regarding the SWing handling in several places along the way. My other scooter, the Piaggio BV500, handles better than the SWing and is very similar to a standard motorcycle in its handling characteristics.

That said, will likely return to a motorcycle for touring at some point, but meanwhile, the SWing and the BV both serve me well indeed.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
Well...I just finished a mountaintop round-trip in Colorado, with my Burgman 650. Yup, it's comfortable...no monkey-arse and no numbness from vibration in the grips. But, but, BUT...

First, grip on the road isn't anything to write home about. I felt spookiness on some of the sweepers and hairpins...I was actually slower than a few cages. And with the Tupperware...I was afraid of dragging something; pulling off something big and spinning out. As you can imagine, traffic was pretty heavy on the Million Dollar Highway.

Second...seating position, while comfortable, doesn't give the command of the machine that straddling it does. It's like...the difference between sitting down alongside your dog, and straddling him between your legs as you try to "remonstrate" with him. The sitting position is comfortable. It's not one where I feel I'm dominating the machine through the maneuver.

(THAT was for walks around town at 10,000 feet. GASP! GASP!)
Change your tires, I rode our Burgman 400 all over the Rockies without any grip issues except when crossing over Boreas Pass but that is a gravel road that well, turned out needed grading and the Burgman isn't a gravel road sort of bike. Personally, I prefered the BV 500 on the Million Dollar Highway and found the biggest impedement to be the large groups of Harley tourists - international riders on rented Harleys not always familiar with such heavy bikes. I do know what you mean about grip with the knees sometimes feeling more secure and a tunnel bag can give you some of that feeling back if you want though it will go away if you ride the twisties enough on a scooter.

Our place in Colorado is at 10,800 feet so the first few days each time we go up is spent with that Grasp! Grasp! especially bringing in things to the house up 3 flights of stairs.