User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
afmeyer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Tiger 800XC Tire Repair on the Trail

I'm trying to avoid installing a center stand on the 800XC and want to know what alternatives are possible. I'm trying to avoid the extra weight and expense of the center stand. I had one on my Vstrom and almost never used it.
I can use a chock for the front wheel and a paddock stand for the rear wheel. I also have a light weight scissor jack to lift either the front or rear end of the bike but what is the best lifting point. I don't want to damage anything.
What do riders out on the road or trail do to get the wheel off the ground to fix a flat?

afmeyer screwed with this post 09-01-2012 at 05:36 PM Reason: added
afmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,534
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538235
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
afmeyer OP
Adventurer

It looks like just what I need. What is the actual technique for putting the bike on your stand?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,924
Man up and do it this way.

It only took 3 sticks.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
It looks like just what I need. What is the actual technique for putting the bike on your stand?
I was just sharing the info. All you do is push the bike onto the sidestand enough to raise the tire off the ground, then put the jack under the side your pushing from. Does that make sense?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
afmeyer OP
Adventurer

yes. sticks may work in TN but I think you'd have a problem in NM. Most of my bikes have had tubeless tires which are much easier to repair on the fly. I have a Bonneville but never had a flat on the road.
Do most people patch the tube or carry spare tubes. Are there any particular tire irons, tubes or patch kits that people consider superior?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #7
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
Definately do it a few times at home & see what you need & how it's done.

I carry a foot pump, spoons, a 17mm allen, 21" tube, & a patch kit.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by afmeyer View Post
Do most people patch the tube or carry spare tubes. Are there any particular tire irons, tubes or patch kits that people consider superior?
I take tubes with me and a patch kit. You never know how large the puncture will be or if the tube gets shredded. Use normal tubes (as opposed to heavy duty tubes) as spares since they pack smaller. They are not as thick. You can actually get a 21" normal tubes from Harley Davidson dealerships. A lot of their bikes have spokes because it looks cool or something....
I just have a Slim patch kit.

These are good because they have a large grip. I use them in my garage:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...Grip-Tire-Iron

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Tire-Iron.aspx

I take these with me on trips because they pack small:

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/pr...segment=badger

You will need 3.
You might also want to pack a fish hook and fishing wire to sew up the sidewall and prevent the tube from sticking out. Kinda like this:
http://www.jonfund.com/technical/sidewall.shtml

You can use a trail stand to get one wheel in the air. I think there's someone in Vendors.

I hope this helps. Practice in your garage. After a while you'll get good. IMHO, it's better to learn how to do it the cheap, simple way and try to avoid the gimmicky tire change tools out there.

thorinoakenshield screwed with this post 09-02-2012 at 07:30 AM
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Push bike over to left on side stand, high enough to get tire off ground - have appropriate size rock or chunk of wood to slide under engine or skid plate. (if using rock & NO skid plate - recommend some soft 'buffer' between engine & rock - dont want to mar up underside of case) Its the Uly methood - where no centerstand is possible. Otherwise, centerstand, (for all its downsides) is still invaluable for maint & repairs.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
afmeyer OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all of this very good advice. I've been riding for years but almost exclusively on the road with a center stand and tubeless tires and a repair kit. Riding the Great Divide Trail is on my bucket list for next summer and I want to get prepared.
Another item I'm looking for are those plastic tubes you attach to the frame to carry tools. I know you can use PVC pipe and big hose clamps but I've seen purpose made tubes which may look better if not too expensive; probably a fool's dream. Please let me know of a supplier if you know of one.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Man up and do it this way.

It only took 3 sticks.
Man up, eh? Looks more like a couple'a schoolgirls and a KLR.