User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
t6pilot OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Honda silverwing

Have a deposit on a BMW scooter for the wife, who knows when they will be here, was at the Honda dealer today and saw a SILVERWING wife liked it
Any inmates out their have one, if so appreciate your thoughts
Getting kinda Leary with the BMW delays and first year issues their bikes have
Thanks
t6pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,937
I've had six. One of the best scooters made. Easy in the city and stable on the highway.

Mpg not as great as you might expect but still ok.

Been around 10 years so all the bugs are surely gone by now.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
windburn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
I own and ride a Silver Wing

I bought my 07 Silver Wing in 2008 I have ridden 33,000 miles with no problems. I expect this machine to out live me. I just installing my third set of tires. I'm on my second set of spark plugs and I only change them because it was schedule, they looked great. I'm on my second drive belt and the original lasted 24,000 without issue. I've changed oil often and I used Honda oil. Occasionally my wife rides to up, the Silver Wing handle very well. Here's a recent pic at 32,000 miles

windburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
Realbtl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I'm quite happy with my S Wing. got back yesterday from a 900 mile 3 day trip through Idaho. There is a ton of good info
at http://http://www.silverwing600.com/
Realbtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I've had an 03 since 2009 and put 18,000 miles on it. Mostly a very good machine that can be improved upon in a few areas for low cost. Try using some Dr Pulley sliders in the variator and possibly installing HyperPro springs in the fork legs. If you are over 5' 8" or so, you will want to do something about a better windshield. Additional legroom can be had for free by removing the butt stop, or converting it into a backrest for a few dollars. A J Costa variator is very nice, but wears out too quickly (and they are hard to find in the USA nowadays).

It rides nicely, handles decently (esp. with new fork springs), maintenance is easy to handle with decently long intervals between chores, gets decent MPG - you should be able to top 50 MPG without much trouble), has good storage and good weather protection. It had very few bugs in it when first developed, and fewer now. There have been very few parts changes through ten years of building it, so parts are easy to find. Used scoots are not real hard to find, and usually for less than $5,000 for one in great shape. If it has not been wrecked, it most likely runs and rides well - its hard to trash them even without regular maintenance. Like most things Honda, they are pretty durable and dependable.

If you value riding over wrenching, then a Silverwing is a good choice. I look around at "real" motorcycles at times, as well as other scooters but I don't find myself very interested in swapping out the 'wing.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The Yamaha Tmax is better than the Silver Wing due to the Tmax having bigger diameter tires and better balance with its low center of gravity in the center of the machine, the Tmax can make a beginner look good taking hairpin curves at 85 mph, I have already passed 1400cc crotch rockets on tight curves and nobody can catch me with the quick acceleration from a dead stop, yes, the Tmax can do wheelies! and the best part all the Burgman and Silver Wing riders you run into will be jealous of your Tmax.
You are a real piece of work. Why don't you fill in your profile so we know who you are? You sound like a teenager, if you are then I understand. You are all over the Battle Scooters section and I've read many of your posts and they all say the same thing. I want to give you some respect but you haven't said anything to deserve it.
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Oddometer: 148
I purchased a 2012 Silver Wing a couple of weeks ago. Traded in a 2009 KLR 650, and so far I am VERY happy. The KLR is a great bike but not for me. I found I drive more on the street than I expected and the 'wing is SO much more comfortable for this old f*rt! Quiet, smooth and handles well due to the low center of gravity! And I can flat-foot it whereas the KLR was a bit too high for me, and I am 6'0".

Here is a picture i took on a short ride yesterday! Good luck!
1974 CT90

Starbuck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
lastmanout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Bought a 2003 in 2009. So practical, so comfortable, so right for a 50 something old guy. Sold all my dual sports and Kawi Concours. This is all the bike I need ( but have 3 more scooters now). Great with two up. Interstate capable. Simple to maintain. Oh yeah, it is not a fast and sexy as the Yamaha Max, but fits me better, was thousands cheaper. Got great deal from a private owner.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
creighta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I wanted a motorcycle till I saw a swing trike at Honda homecoming in marysville, oh a few years ago. In 09 dad found one t Heritage Honda and had to have it. I have a Majety, but think the swing I a better bike. Only complaint is that the side stand is useless, and the bike is hard to get on he center stand sometimes due to the weight.
creighta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #10
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
I know the silverwing is a great scooter, but I'm assuming (hoping?) the BMW's will be the new gold standard. They've been selling silverwings for a while now, you could find yourself a decent used one and sell it when the BMW finally shows up, or even wait for the second model year.
elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:47 AM   #11
elamofo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by creighta View Post
Only complaint is that the side stand is useless, and the bike is hard to get on he center stand sometimes due to the weight.
Maybe she can help:

http://youtu.be/rQ2o3iv3ANE

elamofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
I've had my SWing for about a year and a half now, transitioning over from a Japanese cruiser. Mine is a 2002 and had about 21K on it when I bought it. It now has about 26K.

Slow speed maneuvering took a bit of time to get used to, but I do fine with it now...just a matter of light braking and a little throttle to keep the clutch engaged. Also, you need to learn to trust the tires...the wheels are smaller and the cornering sensation is a bit different from a motorcycle, but it just takes a bit of getting used to...and once you adjust, you find yourself hanging a knee out on occasion.

I think the SWing handles well and has good power. The factory service manual is very good and allows a mechanical nincompoop like me to do a lot of the basic maintenance myself...I use Rotella T6 on the oil changes and it seems to work quite well, and I've replaced the air filter and done other odds and ends...but I won't try the valve clearance checks, and it's about due for that...

I really like the storage on the machine...I also have a Givi box to add a bit more. The stock windshield sucks, so I replaced it with a Givi AirFlow, which is great...

Fuel mileage is about 45-50 mpg if I keep it at 65-70 mph...but goes down to 40-45 at 70+.

I would have no hesitation about hopping on the SWing and going just about anywhere. In fact, right now, I'm planning a summer tour to Oregon, Washington and Idaho and it's a tossup whether I'll take the SWing or my BMW R1100R. The SWing is more comfortable, IMHO...
gumshoe4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #13
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamofo View Post
I know the silverwing is a great scooter, but I'm assuming (hoping?) the BMW's will be the new gold standard. They've been selling silverwings for a while now, you could find yourself a decent used one and sell it when the BMW finally shows up, or even wait for the second model year.
So far BMW is having difficulties. At least with the new scoots. Still not available as far as I know. And personally I would hate to pay a BMW premium for a scooter with a Kymco engine...

Just my 2 cents.
1974 CT90

Old 06-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck21 View Post
personally I would hate to pay a BMW premium for a scooter with a Kymco engine...

Just my 2 cents.
I'd rather pay a premium for a BMW with a Kymco engine then for one with
an engine they made themselves.

That can only be a good thing.
The BMW guys at the Milan show where it was announced made it
clear that they wanted a good engine, so that's why they chose Kymco..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Starbuck21
Manly scooterist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
I'd rather pay a premium for a BMW with a Kymco engine then for one with
an engine they made themselves.

Seems like strange logic. Not wanting a BMW with a BMW motor? I always thought they made decent engines...? Been making them for years!

My main point was the price premium. Before paying a bunch for a Kymco powered BMW (I have no problems with Kymco) I would buy a big Kymco scooter, either a 500 or the new 700i or whatever and save nearly half of my dosh!!!
1974 CT90