Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #286
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,041
Anybody used this tool to install a Heidenau K60 in size 150/70-17 yet? My spokes still have blood on them from the last time I changed it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #287
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Anybody used this tool to install a Heidenau K60 in size 150/70-17 yet? My spokes still have blood on them from the last time I changed it.
Would be nice if someone could post pics or a vid of changing one of these with their new tool.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 PM   #288
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Would be nice if someone could post pics or a vid of changing one of these with their new tool.
Here you go.

http://kauritmoto.com/
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #289
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Yes I have seen that before, hence my interest. Just wondering if it would look near as easy if he was using a 150/70/17 that was mentioned in my quote.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #290
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,123
I'm building a new wheel for my XR-R and was planning to do a vid of mounting the tire. But they sent me the wrong spokes so I'm w a i t I n g as usual. Hopefully be able to slap it together this weekend and my tyre tool will lose it's virginity.
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #291
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,543
So, this tool will work for street and offroad tires? My bikes take 180/55 and 120/55 tires so I'm curious if it would work for them.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #292
nuke24
Cougar Bait

Oddometer: 11
Has this thread fallen through the cracks?

As no one has posted in a while I was wondering if there is still an interest in the tool from people who have not posted in the thread, I am still interested in getting one and am just waiting on enough people to order one. Maybe a few people, of the 28,000 views, will take an interest in the tool now that the holidays are over and normal life is now resuming.

Also maybe someone who has the tool could answer the above question for the next possible buyer.

Thanks,
Nic
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #293
Bonerov
Damned dirty ape

Oddometer: 401
I'm on the current order list, waiting for enough other people to sign up.
Bonerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #294
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Yeah, I haven't abandoned the idea of a second group buy. I'm subscribed, I just think with the holidays everybody who might be interested is in a holding pattern. And I know Are is coming to the US in January but I don't know for how long. IIRC we need 20 to get the biggest cost break.

I honestly haven't used mine yet. I'm trying to build a 19" front for my XR but they keep sending me the wrong spokes. I've got the tire sitting there ready to go, just don't have a wheel to put it on. As to whether the tool will work with tubeless street tires / rims, I don't see why not. But everyone I know who has used it has done a tube type off road spoked rim so I don't want to suggest that I do know for sure.

It's a busy time of year, I think after everybody catches up and settles into the groove, there may be more interest. I don't have a dog in the race, but you guys on the waiting list feel free to bump it from time to time and see if any others want to join in.

PMR
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #295
MtnRider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I am still on for one at least plus adapters.
MtnRider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #296
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

I've been waiting to hear from some of the guys on how the tool works on the big adv style bikes....also is the tool is suitable for carrying on the bike to fix flats or do you really need to have the tire on a stand etc for it to be effective.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #297
gspdbill
noobie allover again

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
I've been waiting to hear from some of the guys on how the tool works on the big adv style bikes....also is the tool is suitable for carrying on the bike to fix flats or do you really need to have the tire on a stand etc for it to be effective.
I thought this thing was it's own stand?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #298
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
I thought this thing was it's own stand?
The stand is a separate purchase..... as far as I know.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #299
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
The stand is a separate purchase..... as far as I know.
The tool itself is just for mounting tires. The stand on Are's website is pretty cool, but its separate from the tool. A couple guys on the current list are interested in the stand as well, but I haven't even inquired about the price yet. I suspect the stand would require a bigger shipping box - the beauty of just doing the tools is that you can fit quite a few in 1 box and everybody splits the shipping. The International shipping can be the deal breaker in the whole enchilada.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #300
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
The tool gets its leverage from the rod that slips in thru the hub, and although it would be nice to have it firmly attached to a stand, I do most of my dirt bike tires off the tailgate of the truck, or sitting on the ground if I'm out in the woods. At home i just use the old (or new) tire to set it on. If you're just patching a tube, then you would need to work off of some surface. The tool could easily be carried on the bike while traveling, but you will still need a way to break the bead (kickstand or bead breaker) as well as irons or something to get the tire off the rim. This tool is for mounting the tire only, I'll probably just carry my irons when I travel. But the tool is a lot easier on the rim than irons for the mounting part at least.