Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #61
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Looks like the guys over at Cafehusky give their approval as all comments are good. I'd say a group buy is a go.

PineyMountainRacing said he would do the group buy...maybe.

I suggest all the group buyers throw in and buy PineyMountainRacing one for his efforts. Lets see 25 buyers, cost of one device about 120...thats 4.80 each. Make that 5 bucks tip for PineyMountainRacing efforts.

Hope to see other chime in and agree and get this buy going. I got 2 mefos ready to put on! Lets go Piney
KJ
I'm up for that. How many people are in now?
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #62
Anders288
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I'm interested in one if the price is good
Anders288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #63
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 1,908
a couple thoughts:

We will have to pay shipping from there to here, and then from me (or whoever) to each of you. It looks like the guys on CH ordered 34 plus a few adapters and I saw $300 mentioned for shipping. I don't know if this was all of the shipping or just the shipping to the states. I don't do this for a living but my neighbor has a UPS account which I might be able to use. Maybe someone could chime in on the actual dimensions of the unit, and I could get a better idea what it would cost to ship to each of you. I'd need boxes for each one, unless they come individually boxed. I'd be nervous about using USPS due to inaccuracies in tracking (no offense to anyone associated with the USPS). So maybe someone who is registered on CH could clarify what the shipping was to the US.

It looks like there were some guys on CH who lost out on the group buy, maybe post up over there and see if anyone would like to maybe hook up with us.

If I were to do this, it would take me a couple days to get them all shipped out. My day starts pretty early and I get home late, but I might be able to get my office staff to help out when things are slower. So it might be a week before they were all on their way to you FF's. I'm not trying to discourage anyone, but if you're like me you want things "yesterday" and you would need to be a tiny bit patient on this deal LOL.

I think with something like this, you have to realize that whoever does the group buy isn't responsible if you're not 110% satisfied with the product. I've seen the video that you have, and read the comments on CH. I have no intimate knowledge of this device. I have a regular tire machine but am looking for something like this for traveling. Obviously it's not something I will carry on the bike, so I plan to keep my irons / spoons. I'm gonna order one whether we do a group buy or not. But just remember you're buying a pig in a poke.

I think we need more than the 20-25 since some guys might bail after we firm up the costs. With the currency conversion, I may not know exactly what they cost until I (or whoever) get the VISA bill. I'm leaving Thursday on the bike for the mountains, but I'll be able to keep the list updated for the 2 weeks I'm gone.

PMR out...
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #64
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,385
PMR, just FYI. My unit came in the original packaging from the vendor, which is the box you see on the video of the tire mounting. So, I am going to make a guess that the CH group buy (of which I was a participant) received 34 boxes, each containing one tire tool. Kelly of Motosportz, who handled the CH group buy, put a shipping label on each box and sent them to us directly without needing to repackage. I hope this information proves useful.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #65
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
PMR, just FYI. My unit came in the original packaging from the vendor, which is the box you see on the video of the tire mounting. So, I am going to make a guess that the CH group buy (of which I was a participant) received 34 boxes, each containing one tire tool. Kelly of Motosportz, who handled the CH group buy, put a shipping label on each box and sent them to us directly without needing to repackage. I hope this information proves useful.
Excellent. Any chance you could give me the dimensions of the box and an approximate weight?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #66
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
I will just throw in my two bits here. I found this tool accidentally on Ebay back in July or August and thought it might be good to use with my Tubliss setup. I talked to Jeff over there, he concured, ordered one and then let me know that there was just one left (on Ebay). This kicked it off. I got my tool several months ago now and immediately changed four tires on my two trail bikes. No, it doesn't remove the tire and you have to use irons for that, but the tire has already been stretched a bit and comes off fairly easy. Putting new tires on is really easy, you only have to hold one side down in the rim. I just tie it off. The end of the curved arm just stretches the bead straight out and the bead tension pulls it down into the rim. Slick! No worry about pinching a tube, or destroying the Tubliss system. That's what I was looking for. It works just like on the video and I would be surprised if anyone spending the money for this item isn't satisfied, even though I know that you can't ever please everyone! This should come close.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 AM   #67
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Excellent. Any chance you could give me the dimensions of the box and an approximate weight?
Ah, no. I didn't keep the box. The tool went into my tool chest. I'd venture a guess that the total weight of the tool components is about 2 - 3 lb.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #68
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
I will just throw in my two bits here. I found this tool accidentally on Ebay back in July or August and thought it might be good to use with my Tubliss setup. I talked to Jeff over there, he concured, ordered one and then let me know that there was just one left (on Ebay). This kicked it off. I got my tool several months ago now and immediately changed four tires on my two trail bikes. No, it doesn't remove the tire and you have to use irons for that, but the tire has already been stretched a bit and comes off fairly easy. Putting new tires on is really easy, you only have to hold one side down in the rim. I just tie it off. The end of the curved arm just stretches the bead straight out and the bead tension pulls it down into the rim. Slick! No worry about pinching a tube, or destroying the Tubliss system. That's what I was looking for. It works just like on the video and I would be surprised if anyone spending the money for this item isn't satisfied, even though I know that you can't ever please everyone! This should come close.
Thanks...I've been waiting for one of the other guys making something similar to offer it on a larger scale as at least one person was selling it for about half of this vendor's asking. It's just not a $100 tool to *me*. At $50 or so I'd buy one to throw in the box.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #69
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,412
A question for those who have used the tool. What are it's smallest dimensions when it's broken down? Is this something you could carry on a your dual sport bike?
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Mapsource Tutorial | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Charter Member: T.O. Club | Voted - "Nicest Asshole you will ever meet" by my friends
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:49 AM   #70
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 157
Count me in. I missed out on the group buy on CafeHusky.

Jeff
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #71
knobbyjoe
knobbyjoe

Oddometer: 440
Will this tool break the bead on a KTM 990?
knobbyjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #72
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobbyjoe View Post
Will this tool break the bead on a KTM 990?
I believe it's strictly for mounting, you'd be stuck with whatever bead breaker technique you're using now.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #73
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
you can put me down for one as well, looks pretty slick

Dave
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #74
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
A question for those who have used the tool. What are it's smallest dimensions when it's broken down? Is this something you could carry on a your dual sport bike?
Here's a photo; you can draw your own conclusions.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #75
cobrags
Lost ADVR

Oddometer: 655
Put me down for 1 also.

Of all the roads you take, Make sure a few of them are dirt.
cobrags is offline   Reply With Quote