ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,488
Ride,store,fly..repeat

This idea seems to have been around a while, and gaining in popularity. I have found several RR's detailing individuals trips and some random threads with bits of info but no dedicated threads.

The basic concept, ride your own bike on an open ended road trip around...well the world if you wanted to.

Head out from your home with lets say 10 days to ride, at the end of that time you pull in to a storage facility, moth ball your bike and catch a plane ride home. The next time you have a little vacation fly back to your bike and continue on your adventure.

Sounds fun and seem's simple but we all know there is lots more to it.

I currently have a 2009 v-stom 1000 which I now own outright My wife and I are working on a plan to start traveling like this in the summer of 2014. Why then? Because I have to be ready to buy a new bike to replace my V once it goes into RSFR (ride store fly repeat) mode.

Between now and then I am hoping to gain information from people who are out there doing this already. Tips, advice, suggestions. I am quite certain that the logistics are similar weather you are looking to road travel or dirt travel, camp or hotel, big bike or little bike.

Some of the discussions I was hoping to get going are; prepping your bike to start this, maintaining your bike along the way, storing your bike between rides. Gear, do you duplicate all of it or fly some back and forth. Logistics of getting the bike to storage and then getting to your plane. (my wife and I figure that since there will be two of us on one bike we can rent a car for a day at each end to do the running around.)

I am sure there are lots of other things I am not even thinking of yet, but that is why I am starting this thread..
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer
 
BigEasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: South of Indy in the hills
Oddometer: 1,673
Timely post. I started thinking about this last month while riding around Colorado.

One of my thoughts re servicing the bike has gone round and round with dropping the bike at a dealer to store it. There are HD dealers around me that offer a storage program that includes a winterization service and then store the bike until spring. I'm thinking you might be able to negotiate something like that with a dealer local to where you end a trip?

My thought about logistics of gear would be a hybrid of leaving some and hauling some back and forth. I'm thinking I'd leave some stuff in a storaage unit run to Wally world and grab some cheap sealable storage boxes and package what is going to stay to keep the mice out of the stuff. The other thought I've had would be a ship and hold option. Find someone close to where the bike is stored and UPS/FedEx a box of crap ahead of time then at the end of the trip ship it home.
__________________
All who wander are not lost

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,812
Can be done, surely. But will require some dedication, as it won´t be very easy (or cheap), especially if you really plan to go RTW that way. Of course the longer the ´leg´, that you´re able to do each time you set off, the better. Doing it in very short bits might easily become mighty expensive.

The rules of leaving the bike stored to return at a later date will vary a lot from country to country, and also the type of import permit you´ve got, so that is something to get familiar with. The net is your friend on this.

Shipping the bike overseas is another area, where knowing how the business works will really help. Especially if you will not personally be there at both ends of the shipping route. But maybe you can ride a fair bit first, before you really need to start thinking about shipping.
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,488
My thoughts are more for leisurely touring the US for a while, Canada and Alaska would be on the list but many years out. South of the border..who knows.

My comments regarding RTW travel were meant to say that the concept would work but the logistics of storing and shipping would change. It would still be easier to leave a bike on the other side of the big pond in storage and fly back and forth for your adventures..

I am thinking of 1500 mile legs so servicing the bike would be an oil change each trip and dealing with a battery.

Since we live in Maine it is hard for my wife and I to rationalize riding big mile days it would take to get to the southern part of the US and then having to turn around and do it again to get home. 300 mile days is about her limit. and we really will be doing this in 7-10 day blocks.

BigEasy...drop shipping is a great idea.
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
B.C.Biker
mighty fine
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: southern interior B.C.
Oddometer: 619
After breakfast I'm doing just this. Finally! I'm in southern British Columbia. Winter and my winter job will start all to soon. I've picked up a dedicated bike for this. A Yamaha FJ 1100. Cheap, reliable and fast. I'm not going on an expedition . Like you will be doing short bursts. Really want to ride the deep south and eastern states. This way the wife and I can go when we both have time to go at a relaxed pace and get to "know" an area if it interests us and not have to go and get to destination and be home at a certain time.
Was going to rip down to Texas and store but plans changed a bit and now it will most likely be Vegas. Due to wife schedule after Christmas ect. Guess that is the beauty of this kinda travel. Will store at a friends house there.
I think a bike shop would be best the rest of the time and a storage unit second choice. Time will tell!
Using my old camping gear (great excuse to buy new stuff) and leaving on the bike. If something happens to it , no big deal. Same with helmets. Wearing the rest of my gear on the plane home. Just a tank bag for carry on.
Have book marked this thread and will be learning as we go!
__________________
worship no one.
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,488
Excellent and good luck

I am hoping this thread will turn into a wealth of ideas and knowledge the logistics end of storing a bike a plain trip away...where ever that may be.
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Okie near Muskogee
Oddometer: 3,720
I've been doing this since 2010 on an extended Latin America trip and I know for a fact long term storage in Colombia and Ecuador is quite possible. Venezuela is also possible with a little planning and paperwork.
Farther South in Uruguay you can leave your bike for up to one year on legal papers.

Just travel around in country until you find a new friend with some space to store your bike, I've met numerous people on line and just riding around traveling who have offered or have stored my bike for me while I return home to gather up more money.

IMO it is the best way to go if you don't have monthly income while traveling. Just save back up and go again.

John in Oklahoma and my travel bike in Venezuela
__________________
www.throttlemeister.net
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler
 
lhendrik's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York and Floridoodie
Oddometer: 2,293
I'm doing this now with my 09 R1200GSA. Last March I shipped the bike from US to Germany. It is currently at Stefan Knopf's facility in Heidelberg Germany. This past May-June I rode it around Western Europe for 30 days, then returned to Germany and stored it. Next week, I return to Germany and ride the bike to Eastern Europe. I am planning to ride to Tbilisi, Georgia over a month or so, and leave it there in a friends parking space until next Spring, when I will go get it and ride into Russia, Baltics, Scandinavia and UK.

The bike is stored for $30 per month at Knop'fs. He can arrange service (tune ups, tires, battery,etc) for me if needed with only a small service charge, but also has a place for me to do my own work ( a fully equipped shop).

I plan to leave the bike in Europe/Asia for the foreseeable future, as I have another bike to use here in the US.

So far I am loving the experience and new adventures, and recommend this to anyone that can swing it. I'm sure there are lots of places to park and store and bike around the world, including right here in the US - go for it.
__________________
Normal is just a setting on the dryer.
2009 R1200GS A, 2008 K1200GT
lhendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #9
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
I'm doing this now with my 09 R1200GSA. Last March I shipped the bike from US to Germany. It is currently at Stefan Knopf's facility in Heidelberg Germany. This past May-June I rode it around Western Europe for 30 days, then returned to Germany and stored it. Next week, I return to Germany and ride the bike to Eastern Europe. I am planning to ride to Tbilisi, Georgia over a month or so, and leave it there in a friends parking space until next Spring, when I will go get it and ride into Russia, Baltics, Scandinavia and UK.

The bike is stored for $30 per month at Knop'fs. He can arrange service (tune ups, tires, battery,etc) for me if needed with only a small service charge, but also has a place for me to do my own work ( a fully equipped shop).

I plan to leave the bike in Europe/Asia for the foreseeable future, as I have another bike to use here in the US.

So far I am loving the experience and new adventures, and recommend this to anyone that can swing it. I'm sure there are lots of places to park and store and bike around the world, including right here in the US - go for it.
Excellent feed back from both of you, glad to see there are guys out there doing it on a global scale..

Would purchasing a bike in Europe to leave there as a dedicated bike be easier and less expensive than shipping?

Beings I am just a "small scale faker" (it's an inside regional joke ) I plan on starting with the US. I imagine it will take my wife and I many years to see the parts of our country we want to see.

Excellent intel on south of the border Throttlemeister. The first thing my mind always goes to is safety.
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #10
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,522
This is a concept I've been pondering for a number of years - prolly started about the time it took 4 days just to get to Colorado where the 'good riding' began.

Dr. Rock started a thread on the topic with some great info. This, of course, evolved into the Mobius Trip. I may never catch up on that read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Can be done, surely. But will require some dedication, as it won´t be very easy (or cheap), especially if you really plan to go RTW that way. Of course the longer the ´leg´, that you´re able to do each time you set off, the better. Doing it in very short bits might easily become mighty expensive.

The rules of leaving the bike stored to return at a later date will vary a lot from country to country, and also the type of import permit you´ve got, so that is something to get familiar with. The net is your friend on this.

Shipping the bike overseas is another area, where knowing how the business works will really help. Especially if you will not personally be there at both ends of the shipping route. But maybe you can ride a fair bit first, before you really need to start thinking about shipping.
As for cost, Dr. Rock made some comparisons to other 'leisure activities'. Think they were vs. owning a camp/cabin/cottage along with some other popular options here in the US. The 'ride, store, repeat' (RSR) option was fairly economical by comparison.

My own perception is that compared to the cost of other 'travel vacations' - cruises, fly and rent, ship and fly, car road trips, RVs, etc. the RSR option is a fairly reasonable way to do it. Not to mention your options are wide open - limited only by your imagination.

Having said that, cost is not really a huge driving factor in my mind. Not because I'm independently wealthy, as I'm not, but because it is really a matter of priorities. If motorcycle travel is what you want to do then that's where you spend your money. I always say, if you want to save money, go to work.

A bigger factor for myself is the time. At this stage in my life, time and the segment of time available at any given point is the biggest factor. I think that is prolly the case for many that may be exploring this option. If I could take months at a time I would.

As for the need to think about shipping, if yer hell bent on traveling to foreign lands (from the US) then that's going to become an issue sooner rather than later if our continent is off 'the list'. If that isn't your prioirity, in the US we're fortunate to have many - perhaps an inexhaustable supply of places to ride and explore without shipping ever entering the equation.

For example, from the northeast there's a ton of Canada that can be easily reached and explored - Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador, Quebec, Ontario. Combined with the US northeast that could keep you busy for quite some time. Keep in mind I'm not a fan of the interstates so given the time I like to stick to the back roads a bit more.

Obviously, if you move your bike further west it opens up more options. (Afterall, that's the whole point.) If the central, southern and western US don't do it for you then south of the border is opened up. I imagine crossing over into Mexico and returning is a fairly common thing. Not to mention finding a place for your bike down there and returning to it to ride farther south as Throttlemeister speaks of. I can see this happening at some point in time.

Regardless, great thread idea, David. I'll be following along to see what ideas come up. With any luck I'll be able to add some real life experience to it at some point. So far they've all been 'out and back' rides which isn't all that bad either.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC


The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB


The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #11
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post
As for cost, Dr. Rock made some comparisons to other 'leisure activities'. Think they were vs. owning a camp/cabin/cottage along with some other popular options here in the US. The 'ride, store, repeat' (RSR) option was fairly economical by comparison.

My own perception is that compared to the cost of other 'travel vacations' - cruises, fly and rent, ship and fly, car road trips, RVs, etc. the RSR option is a fairly reasonable way to do it. Not to mention your options are wide open - limited only by your imagination.
Well, I meant the costs, if you´d do the trip on one go, vs. you do several cycles of storing the bike, flying home & flying back to continue. Naturally the latter will be more expensive (and not to even mention, if you´d have the bike somewhere overseas, and flew back and forth, then it could really cost you serious money – some people even do that, though!)... But doing this inside the US, or in US/Canada might already be more feasible.

 
And surely the whole thing is not so simple in the end. If this way you are able to keep your well-paid job back home, and/or you´re gonna regularly fly somewhere for a vacation anyway, then it might be a very good option. Not everyone can just ´sell everything and go´!
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #12
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Well, I meant the costs, if you´d do the trip on one go, vs. you do several cycles of storing the bike, flying home & flying back to continue. Naturally the latter will be more expensive (and not to even mention, if you´d have the bike somewhere overseas, and flew back and forth, then it could really cost you serious money – some people even do that, though!)... But doing this inside the US, or in US/Canada might already be more feasible.


 
And surely the whole thing is not so simple in the end. If this way you are able to keep your well-paid job back home, and/or you´re gonna regularly fly somewhere for a vacation anyway, then it might be a very good option. Not everyone can just ´sell everything and go´!
No worries. Not meant to be an arguement. Just a discussion.

You do bring up another point in terms of costs. "Not everyone can just ´sell everything and go´!" The 'sell everything and go' plan does have its own cost assuming one day you come back (or end up elsewhere) and settle in somewhere. 10 cents on the dollar at best leaving and replacement cost when you return to set up a household. Or storage costs if you keep it all. Then theres 'opportunity costs'. What would you make if you stayed home and worked...? Certainly could be a fairly complicated formula.

Again, if one dwells only on costs it may never make sense to travel for the joy of travel itself.

And no. It's not simple. It'll be an excercise in logistics for sure. Even with your gear sorted in terms of what goes back and forth and what is duplicated there is the whole begin/end point and bike storage/maintenance to work out each trip.

This is a bigger concern for myself as I like the idea of drifting along and seeing what there is to see sometimes. With a planned destination it does put a certain amount of pressure on to be at 'Point B' by a certain date/time. May just be something that has to be accepted if this travel option is chosen. A compromise - which I guess the whole idea is a compromise to the 'ditch it all and travel' concept.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC


The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB


The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
B.C.Biker
mighty fine
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: southern interior B.C.
Oddometer: 619
Made it back from the first leg of my "RSFR". Bike is tucked away for a few months at a friends Vegas garage. So far I'm luv'n it. Rode from B.C. into Washington then Idaho, Utah and Nevada. Going one way allowed me way more time to check out some out of the way roads and ride the really good ones twice.
Had the time to spend the night camped at a hot springs. All thanks to flying back. As far as costs we are all going to be different there. It cost about $225 to fly to Vancouver. Cheapest flight to Canada and about $ 80 for a hotel room. The wife came down and met me when I landed and we spent the night for a mini vacation in the big city. Then a four hour drive home through beautiful B.C. Me thinks the cost of that in real life was only marginaly more compared to the fuel,motels and wear and tear of riding home. Don't think it's entirely fair to bring $ into the equation unless it's really outrageous. Anyone that thinks riding motorcycles is a rational decision is fooling himself.
Bought a helmet special for this trip and left it with the bike but wore the rest on the plane. Airport guys didn't even notice, cab driver asked what kind of work I was dressed for. Think I'll do it that way again.
Might invest in an AGM battery for it's holding power while sitting. Time will tell.
__________________
worship no one.
B.C.Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double
 
EvilClown's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: In the shadow of the Uncanoonucs...
Oddometer: 16,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Made it back from the first leg of my "RSFR". Bike is tucked away for a few months at a friends Vegas garage. So far I'm luv'n it. Rode from B.C. into Washington then Idaho, Utah and Nevada. Going one way allowed me way more time to check out some out of the way roads and ride the really good ones twice.
Had the time to spend the night camped at a hot springs. All thanks to flying back. As far as costs we are all going to be different there. It cost about $225 to fly to Vancouver. Cheapest flight to Canada and about $ 80 for a hotel room. The wife came down and met me when I landed and we spent the night for a mini vacation in the big city. Then a four hour drive home through beautiful B.C. Me thinks the cost of that in real life was only marginaly more compared to the fuel,motels and wear and tear of riding home. Don't think it's entirely fair to bring $ into the equation unless it's really outrageous. Anyone that thinks riding motorcycles is a rational decision is fooling himself.
Bought a helmet special for this trip and left it with the bike but wore the rest on the plane. Airport guys didn't even notice, cab driver asked what kind of work I was dressed for. Think I'll do it that way again.
Might invest in an AGM battery for it's holding power while sitting. Time will tell.


Curious - and I was going to throw this out as a genneral question to anyone who'll answer, too - what did you do to store your bike fuel-wise? The new gasoline is wreaking havoc if it isn't burned right away.

"Anyone that thinks riding motorcycles is a rational decision is fooling himself."

That's sig line material right there, Mister.
__________________
These are our Golden Years. ~ EC


The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB


The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

~Augustine of Hippo
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
PWRCRZR OP
Grumpy Old Bastard
 
PWRCRZR's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Mid-Coast Maine
Oddometer: 7,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.Biker View Post
Made it back from the first leg of my "RSFR". Bike is tucked away for a few months at a friends Vegas garage. So far I'm luv'n it. Rode from B.C. into Washington then Idaho, Utah and Nevada. Going one way allowed me way more time to check out some out of the way roads and ride the really good ones twice.
Great to here it is working out so far

Battery storage is something I have been mulling over as well. Aren't those gell batteries supposed to last a long time?

Gasoline wise my thought is Startron fuel stabilizer...seems to work here for winter storage.

In my mind the $ end of it is simply looking for ways to travel around and get the best bang for my buck while doing so. The less $ I spend each trip means I have more money to do more trips. Plus it is easier to rationalize a form of vacation or travel if it is within my budget.

But motorcycling is a luxury hobby and I do not do it to save money..
__________________
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014