Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Perkio OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Best Motorcycle Campsite Items, Goodies and Ideas?

So, I'm buying gear for my first motorcycle trip (to the DVNR).

I was looking for a "best" thread for camping supplies and ideas and didn't really find one dedicated to just goodies.
There were several about camping that included campers/trucks/trailers and a few for help a new guy get outfitted, but nothing that I found that could run on for a while and showcase new ideas and products.

Tents and other big items have been discussed at length, but there are other thing that you're using when camping.

So I'd like to see your ideas, purchases and links to neat things that make camping better, more fun, easier, you get the idea.

Perk
Perkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #2
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,663
Jet Boil.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 489
A flashlight. And the whiskey!!
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Most of my gear does double duty for light weight backpacking and moto trips.

Tarptent. packs down to 14" by 4". Works great for backpacking and solo trips. Make sure you seam seal it.
http://www.tarptent.com/contrail.html

alcohol stoves - just cooler than other stoves
Minibulldesigns - get the Bios#5

Fixed blade knife - something for utility that you won't mind beating up.
Mora Knife - bomb-proof and cost effective. No need for a hatchet if you have a decent mid-size knife.

Leatherman Juice - multitool

headlamp - much more useful than regular flashlight

Snow Peak cook set - very compact for 1 person. you can fit your stove, utensil, fuel, lighter etc. inside when packed.

Platypus hydration bag - water storage

Monarch backpacking chair - great for spots with limited natural "seats"

Neo-Air Sleeping pad - air, foam etc. personal preference.

First aid kit
hank of paracord - used for clothesline and repairs
duct tape

That's pretty much my whole kit.

Extra goodies that come along/stay home depending on what i'm doing:
guitar
portable speakers for tunes
fire starters - fire piston, flint/steel for tinkering around
sharpening stone
Sven Saw - If making fires is very likely/needed.
Hammock instead of tent if camping in wooded areas.
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
StrokedNBored
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasho View Post
A flashlight. And the whiskey!!
+1 on the whiskey... almost forgot.
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
rockitman4x4
ol retread

Oddometer: 60
2+ on whiskey for evenings. Then you need coffee for mornings. All the rest is just fluff.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
rockitman4x4
ol retread

Oddometer: 60
Oh yeah I use the MSR stove to make coffee, then I have extra fuel for the bike and no cans for the land fill. We all need to think green these days.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 467
+3 on whiskey! and a good cigar (to keep the bugs away)!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 PM   #9
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
My Rig...........

Here it is packed up:

Here it is exploded:

the red dry bag has proven to be awesome. it holds my rei half dome tent, the big agnes pad, my 20 deg sleeping bag, aand a fleece blanket. I am pretty sure my stuff will be dry no matter what. I have stress tested it pretty well too.

The d-b is secured with two compression straps. over it I place a "spider web" bungee that holds down my 6'x8' tarp, and the collapsable cooler. I also put damp things under the web to dry them out...

In one pannier i bring the camping stuff. jetboil, fuel, collapsing led "lantern", my mess kit of nesting plastic bowl and plate, stout lockblade knife, small plastic cutting surface, small folding water vessel, seasoning, misc cheap plastic utensils, and old kitchen towell or two, some spare ziplocks and plastic bags. I also carry nylon oparachute cord and little plastic loop-thingies that quickly makee the nylon cord into whatever you might need it for (see tarp). I think i have other misc crap i cant think of right now. Small stuff..dont forget an insulated all purpose beer-mug / coffee cup!

My tank bag (expandable type magnetic) has various shit in it, like bottle opener / corkscrew, reading glasses, small knife, zipties, pens, notepad, camera, waterproof matches, lighter, fastfood joint napkins and paper towels in a ziplock, dry gloves, baseball cap, cheap ass led light thing that goes onto brim of said cap ( best thing ever at night, or to see into a fuse box). Multi tool thing, bandaids, tampons, toothbrush, plus maps, ultra light wind jacket, snacks, keg of beer, yada yada yada. Maybe rain gear. If i am nervous about being in a sketchy place it easily goes with me off the bike.

Other pannier has running shoes and clothes, whatever......the weather usually dictates the list there......the locking hard bags are awesome and waterproof.

I find that i can usually find a small (or not so small) market or grocery place along the way when i am starting to think about hunkering down. I buy ice and beer and what ever i am going to cook up for supper and stuff it in the little cooler and under the spider man bungee thing. Mornings are oatmeal and coffee, maybe an apple, maybe a cigar.

I prefer forest service type campgrounds, and almost always pay the fee. Sometimes i have mailed it in. I like to have a picnic table, potable water, and a shitter not too far away. If i am on the road for several days or more, i have found State Parks facilities are awesome mid day break spots...fix lunch and take a shower for a cheap day use fee, maybe go swimming.

I have never had a problem getting a fire going when i want one. It is easy to scrounge up what is needed, at least around here. I have even had a neighbor give me a wad of newspaper soaked in diesel on a crappy day!

It seems pretty compact and efficient and works for me, my trips range from 3 days to 2 weeks. I tend to camp most nites. Cant wait to hit the road!

I ride a Honda so i dont need many tools!

This work for me!
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Camping isn't about stuff. It's about doing without stuff. All you really need is a way to sleep comfortably and a pot to boil some water. Keep your cooking simple, one pot soup or pasta meals or even backpacking food. If you eat in town before you go find a place to camp, or grab some take-out, you don't even need to cook, just make coffee and oatmeal in the morning. Fruit and granola bars for breakfast doesn't require cooking. You can cook meat and veggies in foil right on a fire, the hobo dinner. I like the homemade alky stoves because they are tiny and they work. It fits in my coffee cup. But I just build a fire when I can.

Two luxuries I like depending on the trip are a tarp and a chair. I have a 5x8 siltarp that packs up the size of a coffee mug and weighs 8oz. It comes in handy if it rains, and can be used instead of a tent. And the monarch chair is nice sometimes.

Think like a backpacker. Things like axes, saws, lanterns, shovels, are unnecessary. Knife, lighter, headlamp, buttwipe are things you have with you anyway.

Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 AM   #11
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
^True enough for just a couple of days, but for day after day month after month life on the road certain comforts are kinda nice.

My #1 must have item for the long haul is the Kermit chair. The first thing unpacked and the last item packed up. I've spent many a comfortable evening passed out in my Kermit chair.

Down near Torres del Paine.

This was the view from the chair

Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #12
EvilGilligan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
don't forget a chair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Id-Jim View Post
Here it is packed up:

Here it is exploded:

the red dry bag has proven to be awesome. it holds my rei half dome tent, the big agnes pad, my 20 deg sleeping bag, aand a fleece blanket. I am pretty sure my stuff will be dry no matter what. I have stress tested it pretty well too.

The d-b is secured with two compression straps. over it I place a "spider web" bungee that holds down my 6'x8' tarp, and the collapsable cooler. I also put damp things under the web to dry them out...

In one pannier i bring the camping stuff. jetboil, fuel, collapsing led "lantern", my mess kit of nesting plastic bowl and plate, stout lockblade knife, small plastic cutting surface, small folding water vessel, seasoning, misc cheap plastic utensils, and old kitchen towell or two, some spare ziplocks and plastic bags. I also carry nylon oparachute cord and little plastic loop-thingies that quickly makee the nylon cord into whatever you might need it for (see tarp). I think i have other misc crap i cant think of right now. Small stuff..dont forget an insulated all purpose beer-mug / coffee cup!

My tank bag (expandable type magnetic) has various shit in it, like bottle opener / corkscrew, reading glasses, small knife, zipties, pens, notepad, camera, waterproof matches, lighter, fastfood joint napkins and paper towels in a ziplock, dry gloves, baseball cap, cheap ass led light thing that goes onto brim of said cap ( best thing ever at night, or to see into a fuse box). Multi tool thing, bandaids, tampons, toothbrush, plus maps, ultra light wind jacket, snacks, keg of beer, yada yada yada. Maybe rain gear. If i am nervous about being in a sketchy place it easily goes with me off the bike.

Other pannier has running shoes and clothes, whatever......the weather usually dictates the list there......the locking hard bags are awesome and waterproof.

I find that i can usually find a small (or not so small) market or grocery place along the way when i am starting to think about hunkering down. I buy ice and beer and what ever i am going to cook up for supper and stuff it in the little cooler and under the spider man bungee thing. Mornings are oatmeal and coffee, maybe an apple, maybe a cigar.

I prefer forest service type campgrounds, and almost always pay the fee. Sometimes i have mailed it in. I like to have a picnic table, potable water, and a shitter not too far away. If i am on the road for several days or more, i have found State Parks facilities are awesome mid day break spots...fix lunch and take a shower for a cheap day use fee, maybe go swimming.

I have never had a problem getting a fire going when i want one. It is easy to scrounge up what is needed, at least around here. I have even had a neighbor give me a wad of newspaper soaked in diesel on a crappy day!

It seems pretty compact and efficient and works for me, my trips range from 3 days to 2 weeks. I tend to camp most nites. Cant wait to hit the road!

I ride a Honda so i dont need many tools!

This work for me!
My rig / gear set up is very similar, and you've reminded me of two things i wish I would have had my last trip:
1. a camp chair - there are many foldable / ultralight ones out there, pick one that you can carry and fits yer butt. Especially camping in the pacific nw, there is rarely a dry spot to sit.
2. tarp / fly over cooking area (like the green one in your pic) - again, during rainy camping a little bit of dry that isn't your tent is a good thing, particularly for your riding gear.
EvilGilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #13
Perkio OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I see some good ideas including the headlight, light tarp and camp chair.
I'm not camping as light as a backpacker, so a few extras are doable in my kit.

My main thought was what extras are out there that someone may want, and what options are there for either reasonable price or cool & compact.

BTW, I hate the COLD!

Perk
Perkio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #14
atarijedi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I have a Katadyn water filter, uses silver impregnated ceramics, I almost never use it, but I carry it with me whenever I go out into the woods, as a just in case, also have the Katadyn Carbon Cartridge (refillable), which handles some VOCs and mostly makes the water taste better.

Expensive piece of kit, but it gives me piece of mind, will last a long time too. 50,000L (13,000gal) for the water filter, and 200L (50gal) for the carbon cartridge, you can makeshift your own refills for the carbon cartridge, any activated carbon granules will work.

Makes some damn fine water, and I don't have to worry about Montezuma's revenge, regardless of where I am!

Can't think of anything else that wasn't already mentioned. Maybe a ferro rod, as a backup fire starter, incase matches get soaked, or lighter doesn't work. Remember to use the backside of the knife!

Also, I say do take a shovel, a small one, so when you shit in the woods like the bears, it isn't sitting there attracting bears!
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Creekgeek
Chief Fry Chef Mgr

Oddometer: 500
still have a compass on my list. extra zip lock freezer bags keep things dry.
Creekgeek is offline   Reply With Quote