User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #1
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Travel Insurance?

I did a search and didn't come up with much so I apologize if this topic has been posted many times. I haven't seemed to master the art of the search function on this site.

Is it common to get travel insurance to cover unforeseen mishaps along the way?
I'm not talking about AAA/roadside assistance. I mean extra medical coverage when traveling abroad, emergency services coverage etc...
My parents even get expense reimbursement if they get sick and can't go on the trip....to cover lost airfare fees, deposits etc....

I'm interested in more for peace of mind for my wife than myself.

Any recommendations or insurance companies??
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
I haven't seemed to master the art of the search function on this site.
Here's how to do it on ADV:

LINK

Just employ the "site:advrider.com" protocol in a Google search box, followed by what topic you're interested in, per the example at the link
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
Offcamber OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Here's how to do it on ADV:

LINK

Just employ the "site:advrider.com" protocol in a Google search box, followed by what topic you're interested in, per the example at the link

Thanks, that works...
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 629
It is a good thing to have, I'm not sure what the options are for US citizens but something that includes emergency repatriation would be best. Check with any policy that it covers your for travelling on a large motorcycle and remember you must have a full motorcycle licence for it to be valid, if you need to claim the company will possibly ask to see it. Also check what regions it covers and if there are any exclusions, most policies we get in the UK don't cover you if you are in an area the UK government advises against travelling to.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 277
My wife and I actually discussed this the other day. She is a travel agent and sells trip insurance. Most of the time it is for large vacation packages, but she also has a plan available to her that would cover me on a moto trip. It is offered through Travelgaurd and should be available from your local Licensed Travel Agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #6
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,603
Any medical emergency abroad could become VERY costly without insurance. In practice, unless you are an oil sheikh, you probably won't get an ambulance flight without it, even if your condition would require this.

edit. Surprisingly many seem to travel without it...that's their choice, works well if you do not get in a situation where you need it.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Yojimbo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Medivac- "Remains repatriation"

Go to "Travelsafe" insurance. There are multuple options for coverage. What interests me are medical evacuation ($100,000) and "remains repatriation". The cost of the insurance is based on the price of the trip, so I enter $100, and get the coverage for around $35 (they don't seem to care or notice how low the price is). Keep in mind that the likelyhood of needing medivac is extremely low, and most places (in Europe at least), you'll get excellent care locally, but this is cheap peace of mind
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,302
I haven't needed the service yet, but have been a member for several years. BMWMOA members get a discount and you can just get con-us or other plans. Gets your body to the morgue or hospital and your bike to your house or nearest dealer depending on which plan you buy.
http://medjetassist.com/
05-GS- Rock Red 91k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #9
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by * SHAG * View Post
I haven't needed the service yet, but have been a member for several years. BMWMOA members get a discount and you can just get con-us or other plans. Gets your body to the morgue or hospital and your bike to your house or nearest dealer depending on which plan you buy.
http://medjetassist.com/
If my body goes to the morgue, I don't really care where the bike goes.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #10
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
I buy travel insurance every time we leave the States even though our insurance covers us anywhere.

The outfit I use is: https://www.medexassist.com/Default....frrhfgodz7uavq

I buy the bundle. Add the hazard cover. Highest limits. Basically they get to try to recover from your own insurance (if you have any) but so what.

Anyway I found these folks when searching years ago, Stanford and other universities I discovered uses them for traveling persons. It's reasonable and as you investigate fine print you may notice that more than a few on-line sellers are actually selling you the same policy for many times the price.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote