Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Round the World on a Panigale

I'm doing it. RTW on an 1199.

Start date target:5/1/14 Delayed to 6/20/14
Flying into: London (probably)
Duration:6 mos-2 years

Bike: 2012 Panigale S
Shipping carrier: undetermined (motorcycleexpress?)
GPS: Unlocked iPhone 4S
VOIP: Viber
Backpack: Osprey
Luggage: SW Motech 14-21 tank bag
Riding gear: REV'IT Stellar Jacket + GT-R Pants
Gloves: RS Taichi something or other. Look like Darth Vader gloves, but they have plastic sliders on the palms (helps prevent wrist snapage)
Boots: Sidi Gortex Armadas
Delorme: probably
Tent: Sprocket67
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering Summerlite
Health Insurance: unknown (ADAC?)
Extraction Insurance: unknown

Feel free to fill in the blanks and make recommendations. Keep in I do not have the luxury of space, nor do I really want that luxury. Everything has to fit into a tank bag and a backpack. A lot of items people deem necessities (like GPS) are impossibilities.

1) All gear needs to be all weather and it needs to be safe for track use.
2) I'm not taking anything that needs to be plugged into the bike (though I am considering hardwiring a radar detector that's hidden.
3) I'm not adding panniers for more space

What are the laws regarding knifes (folders) in Europe?
Do radar cameras just take pics of the front of the bike?
What countries are 'speed friendly' and which ones are not?

AntiHero screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 08:05 PM
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Radar detector can get you in trouble in some countries, including at the border (say, Finnish border guards are pretty experienced detecting these things in Russian cars, ripping them out and fining the guy). I'm not an expert on knife laws, but I know that, say, in UK you can't even legally carry a Leatherman. I'm sure people from different places will fill in the blanks. Consider investing into an offline navigator software for your iPhone, if only for the peace of mind (I have been pretty happy with Sygic, a Slovakian (I think) app which uses TomTom maps, which you can buy in bulk (as in say all Europe) at reasonable price which includes lifetime updates. That way, even if you find yourself out of 3g connectivity and paper maps, as long as you have some juice left in the phone and a view to the sky, you will get quality navigation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
For a tent, you might want to take a look at the Redverz Series II Expedition tent. It has some pace in case you are tent bound for a spell and packing is small: 9x21 inches. That's smaller than my Walmart two man, which was the smallest I could find at the time(and afford). :
http://shop.redverz.com/tents/the-se...on-tent-green/

I think fellow inmate Jeff Kurtz (KurtzinPA on ADV, I think) has one of these so you may want to check in with him.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,317
Here!

Tent suggestion:
From REI, it's a one piece backpacking tent weighing in at a scant 3.2 pounds ( including footprint under cover but not including blue tarp shown ). The model is Seedhouse. Very easy to set up, dry, tent and frame rolls up to football size, rugged, and very wind resistant.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 05:25 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #5
Scott916
n00b

Oddometer: 4
For the warmer locales and periods of the year, you might want to consider hammock camping instead of a tent. I have a setup from ENO that's less than 10L packed and only weighs a few pounds. My back loves it!

http://www.rei.com/product/830267/en...ystem#specsTab

Knives are a really dicey proposition in Ireland and the UK. I actually leave my EDC Benchmade Mini-Stryker in the states when I'm there for business or fun. I think once you're on the mainland it gets better, but it's probably a case where research is needed for every country. The only country I can give you a clear good to go on from experience is Poland. In questionable countries, I'd be tempted to drop it into the tool roll in the little space in the rear subframe.

Most of the countries I've been to are speed friendly except for the cameras. They really rely on the cams to enforce the speed limit. Some of them, like Poland have them marked well in advance so you really have to be daydreaming to get caught. Riding and driving all over Ireland, I have never seen the Garda running a speed trap, it's all cameras. I'm not sure if the cameras are front only, but I doubt it, since I know they get bikes with them.

I've found Sidi boots, both my old Vertigos that I crash tested last year, and the STs that replaced them are a good balance of protection and not being awful to walk in. They do tend to be a bit squeaky though.
Scott916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
mbravo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Here's a link to a HU thread which might help you in the search of extraction insurance - http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...ad.php?t=74893

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
mbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 868
It's going to be tough getting any lighter or smaller than this. It would probably be pretty tough to be comfortable in to though.

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Gogo+Elite
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
airhead_irl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott916 View Post
For the warmer locales and periods of the year, you might want to consider hammock camping instead of a tent. I have a setup from ENO that's less than 10L packed and only weighs a few pounds. My back loves it!

http://www.rei.com/product/830267/en...ystem#specsTab

Knives are a really dicey proposition in Ireland and the UK. I actually leave my EDC Benchmade Mini-Stryker in the states when I'm there for business or fun. I think once you're on the mainland it gets better, but it's probably a case where research is needed for every country. The only country I can give you a clear good to go on from experience is Poland. In questionable countries, I'd be tempted to drop it into the tool roll in the little space in the rear subframe.

Most of the countries I've been to are speed friendly except for the cameras. They really rely on the cams to enforce the speed limit. Some of them, like Poland have them marked well in advance so you really have to be daydreaming to get caught. Riding and driving all over Ireland, I have never seen the Garda running a speed trap, it's all cameras. I'm not sure if the cameras are front only, but I doubt it, since I know they get bikes with them.
The best way to carry a knife in Ireland or the UK would be to store it
either with your camping equipment or with your tools. A knife will only
really be a problem if you are carrying it off the bike. We regularly
carry Leathermans on local trips while on the bikes but I won't dare
carry anything like it while out socializing or in the pub etc.

Speed cameras are the majority these days here in Ireland. However,
the Gardai do set up speed traps from time to time. I wouldn't sweat it
though as being a foreigner they will not follow up on payment of the
fine as it is not an "on the spot" fine. My betting is that you would get
off with a "stern talking to" once they see the foreign licence plate !!
Speed detection in Ireland is rarely about safety - it's a racket to generate
revenue.
And you are quite correct - most of the other EU countries have their cameras
sign posted.

The UK will be pretty similar.
1980 Honda C90ZZ
airhead_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
mart΄n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Subscribed!

Be aware, that in some european contries you need to buy a "vignette"(permit) to use the roads. Some contries only require vignette, when using the interstate, while other countries require vignette no matter if you take the highway, backroad og interstate.
Once you know which countries you΄ll be driving through, post it here, and I΄ll let you know what vignette you need.

Regarding speeding, I would say you΄ll have to be careful in Scandinavia. Fines are high in Sweden and Denmark, while Norway is utterly insane!
Once you get to Germany, you΄ll be fully able to see what that italian beauty is capable of - autobahn

Regarding cameras, be aware, that France had new cameras installed last year, so that they are able to read the license plate both front and back.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
ijg5
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Dennis I am London based, so ping me if you need b&b for a few days. Also most of IOM boats book up well in advice from uk mainland or Ireland. Do a check for this year.

Most speed cameras take picture off rear of bike.. Good luck
ijg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
skip the radar detector, slow down, and enjoy the world as you ride through it, with money saved, have drinks with locals and learn about their little corner of the globe.
and hope your back and wrists are up to the task on that torture rack!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
pilot3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Subscribed!!!

Dennis,

You might want to look at these threads before committing to the SPOT. Lots of good information to help decide which will be best for you. One thing I like about the Delorme is it offers you two options, one unit that is standalone and the other can be linked to your iPhone so your normal phone is the communicator.

Regards
p3

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882404

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954189

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953638
pilot3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #13
AntiHero OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Jeez, you guys friggin rock. Such great info. Looks like it'll be just a Swiss army pocket knife for me. 4 years in jail for a locking folder in the UK seems a little excessive. Kind of scares me to think that people are so fucking batshit crazy in England that they can't be trusted with a pocket knife (which is about the best tool in the world if you only have one tool). Only time I ever pulled it in anger in the past 20 years was when charging a wild pig (it charged me first). Even when I've gotten into fights, my Strider stayed in my jeans.

Fritz: The Seedhouse looks killer. New news, though. Just picked up a tent sponsor--a motorcyclist and backpacker who hasn't been happy with anything companies are producing, so he decided to produce his own. Kickstarter Campaign starts next month. I should have a prototype to try and abuse by then. Should fold into a nerfball sized-shape.

Pilot: Yes! The Delorme seems a generation or two ahead of the Spot. Good stuff indeed.

ijg5: transport is looking grim for the TT. I plan on going a week before practice starts and will most likely staying a few days after, too. Will take you up on your offer in London, thank you very much in advance.

Mart'n: I plan on visiting every country in Europe.:) I'll plan on keeping it cool in Norway, Denmark and Sweden, though.

Bikerfish: I don't drive like an asshole or have plans on blasting through any countries with the intent on pegging the speedo (except on the Autobahn). But I definitely am more like Crito than Socrates. Obeying unjust laws (like doing 80 in a 60 on an open road in the middle of nowhere) only perpetuates injustice. A radar detector prevents me from being fined for disobeying what are occasionally 'incorrect' limits.
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #14
No_Good_ID
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
shipping

Motorcycle Express ships internationally and offers a discount to AMA members.
No_Good_ID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #15
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
I'll be transporting my bike to Europe and will be heading East.

Start date target:5/1/14
Flying into: London (probably)
Duration:6 mos-2 years

Europe is the easy bit.

But you΄ll want to do a RTW, and you΄ll be heading East - where?
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote