ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
KYwoodsrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Recommended side trips from the BRP

Last fall I rode the entire BRP. Mid Sept I would like to ride the NC sections between Waynesville and Boone.
Any recommendations on side trips, or roads that are adjacent to the BRP? Primarily looking for small country roads, FS roads or gravel sections. I will be riding a DR650 with dual sport tires.
Thanks for any suggesstions
KYwoodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYwoodsrider View Post
Last fall I rode the entire BRP. Mid Sept I would like to ride the NC sections between Waynesville and Boone.
Any recommendations on side trips, or roads that are adjacent to the BRP? Primarily looking for small country roads, FS roads or gravel sections. I will be riding a DR650 with dual sport tires.
Thanks for any suggesstions
Right off of the BRP:

276 between Waynesville and Brevard. Passes Looking Glass Falls S of BRP. Was there approx. 2 weeks ago. Fresh tar and lots of marbley gravel on the surface, but not a gravel road per se. May be more compressed by now.

NC 80 (aka Devils Whip), S of BRP, not far from Mt. Mitchell.

NC 226A (aka Diamondback) + 226 to make a loop starting/ending in Little Switzerland.

Closer to Boone, found some nice gravel and twisties en route to Hebron Rock Colony (boulders and swimming holes). Getting there involved Shulls Mill Rd and Old Turnpike Rd. After checking out the water, rather than ride out the way we came in, we kept going to see where the gravel would take us. Was a good choice.

Happy riding!

We're not heroic like the great travelers but all the same we amateurs are a pretty tough breed. No matter how horrendous the last journey we never give up hope for the next one, God knows why. - Martha Gellhorn
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
There is a lot of great dual sport riding in the other direction, between Waynesville and GSMNP: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=630570

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
KYwoodsrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Laura0107
Retrophilic Rambler

Oddometer: 1,140
Here's a fun little hop on FS roads from where the BRP crosses US276 South of Waynesville over to Asheville. Reverse the direction if needed, of course:
Just south of the BRP/US276 intersection head east on Yellow Gap Rd, left on Wash Creek Rd which heads north and crosses under the BRP and becomes Bent Creek Gap Rd & then Wesley Branch Rd. It comes out on NC 191 very close to where the BRP intersects it. You can easily pick this route out on Google Maps.
My husband and I rode the Linville Gorge area recently and I can highly recommend that area, which is also close to the BRP. Hike to the various overlooks of Linville Falls if you have time, and the short hop down Old NC 105 to Wiseman's View is well worth it. It is gravel and will probably be a bit rutted from heavy traffic, but here's the reward:

Other great gravel roads in the Linville Gorge area are Maple Sally (aka Maple Grove Church Rd, very fun!), NC90, Pineola (haul-ass fun!), and Brown Mountain Beach Rd along Wilson Creek. I can recommend a stop at the Wilson Creek Visitor's Center, very interesting stuff in there:

It is easy to spend a whole day or more in this area.

East of the Wilson Creek area, a gravel road on my bucket list is Globe Road (it's eastern terminus is in Blowing Rock). If you like ascents, take that one towards Blowing Rock; descents, start in Blowing Rock.

Hope this helps a bit. Wishing you an awesome adventure!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
KYwoodsrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info
I was planning to camp at least 1 night a Blue Ridge MC Campground. I belive it is right on 276. I was also thinking about camping my last night at Linville Falls then heading back to KY thru Boone and Damascus Va.
This is starting to work out really nice.