Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
wheelnut46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Question GPSmap 60CSX battery vibration

I remember reading somewhere (here) that folks were having problems with battery vibration wearing the contacts or shutting off the unit or something when mounted to the bike.
Curious - is this a concern if the bike is being used on road or only off road?
Does a thin foam shim help to keep the batteries snug and in place? Anyone use dialectric grease on the battery connections inside the unit?
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
Why don't you just hardwire to the bike? Fixes the problem of the 60 shutting off and if you need to use it off the bike just carry a set of batteries.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelnut46
Anyone use dialectric grease on the battery connections inside the unit?
How would that help? I've heard this suggested before and it doesn't makes sense. According to Webster, dielectric - a nonconductor of direct electric current. I would think you'd want something that would maintain continuity, not prevent it. Not trying to be too critical here, just trying to understand what would work.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,280
I tried mine on my xrl last year with just batteries on a ram mount. It worked ok for the first twenty miles, then just kept shutting itself off. I was just running gravel roads.
I got my hardwire kit and ram mount from cycoactive.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #5
flnthlsbkr
n00b

Oddometer: 5
gps battery vibration

I read somewhere that constant vibration will cause the battery contacts to arc and make for poor connections. I wrap my batteries with a little black electric tape and use dielectric grease on the contacts. after one year I have had no problems with unit shutting down.
I am also hard wiring the unit to the bike this weekend to eleminate the need to keep extra batteries on board.
FYI
Mike
flnthlsbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #6
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by flnthlsbkr
I read somewhere that constant vibration will cause the battery contacts to arc and make for poor connections. I wrap my batteries with a little black electric tape and use dielectric grease on the contacts. after one year I have had no problems with unit shutting down.
I am also hard wiring the unit to the bike this weekend to eleminate the need to keep extra batteries on board.
FYI
Mike
Put the tape over and under the batteries on the case. Only have to do once
not on each battery.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I have my uint hardwired and I put a foam ear plug on top of the batteries (actually lay it down between them) and put the cover on. The newer models have a large foam square under each electrical contact to keep it from greaking.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #8
Doug Just Doug
Silly Party Candidate

Oddometer: 530
I don't ride off-road, but years ago with my first GPS I discovered that sticking one or two foam earplugs inside the battery case before closing it prevents vibe-induced shutdown 100% (in my case). BTW, I currently use that technique on my 60csx.

My stupid little website:Tilted Horizons
Doug Just Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:23 AM   #9
ISDTBower
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
My 76cx has a very tight battery box. I used the suggestion to put an earplug between the batteries. Thanks.

But: I have had no problems in the past...several thousand miles offroad.
ISDTBower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
roc104
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
I have a 60csx and it worked the first few hours on my LC4, then it would die every few minutes on / off road. I tried putting earplugs, tape and anything else i could find behind the batteries with no luck. Hardwired it and now no problems.
roc104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
There are a couple solutions:

1. Lithium cells. The Energizer Lithium AA cells are very light and vibrate far less than NiMH and Alkaline cells. They also last much longer and work better in cold conditions.

2. Shim the connection tabs inside the battery compartment. A small bit of cardboard behind the battery tab works as a shim to hold the cell tighter than it would otherwise be retained.

3. Shim the cells with a foam earplug or similar. Same idea as #2 - you're looking to tighten the fit of the cells in the case.

4. Install a small capacitor on the PCB. For advanced users only, as it requires dissasembly and soldering to the printed circuit board inside the case. The capacitor acts as a backup battery, providing power for the moments its needed when the cell connection is broken by vibration.

5. Hardwire the GPS to the bike. Duh.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 296
A little dielectric greese on the contacts took care of the battery/shut off issue on mine. they sell little packs of the greese for $0.99 at most auto parts stores.

Bryce
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
wheelnut46 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Is there an advantage to hardwiring the GPS to the bike as opposed to installing a marine grade cigarette lighter receptacle. I assume when you say "hardwire" you mean to add a permanent wire to the battery that plugs into the back of the GPS using the standard 4 prong plug right?
Sorry for the Noobish questions.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Quote:
Is there an advantage to hardwiring the GPS to the bike as opposed to installing a marine grade cigarette lighter receptacle. I assume when you say "hardwire" you mean to add a permanent wire to the battery that plugs into the back of the GPS using the standard 4 prong plug right?
No, people say Hard Wire (external battery, can move unit) as opposed to Hand Held (internal battery). It is just the source of power not how.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #15
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Quote:
The term is used somewhat loosely. Hardwire can mean anything from splicing the Garmin power connector into the bike's electrical system to installing a weathertight power outlet and running from that.

Because I use my 76CS for several applications, I'm installing a weathertight "Universal" plug in my power cable. I'll add a mate to that plug in my bike and truck's wire harness. I'll also put one on my NiteRider NiMH battery (I use that for LD trips in the canoe and kayak).