Sell It 18 47.37%
Kill it with Fire 15 39.47%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Should I keep it, or sell it

Just got this piece of work at a swap meet for 100 bucks and thought that I had to have it. I went through all of the mental justification for buying this piece. Despite the problems with it, I threw the money down.

Caught on fire, needs a top end rebuild
Needs carb work including new float valves, needles, jets, etc as a lot of pieces are missing
No fairings
Electrical guts hanging out like a Samurai who killed himself in the name of honor
Gas tank rusted, dented, and then rusted again.

I don't have the money to make this a beautiful restore that it deserves to be, and I would really like a track bike, but upon talking to other inmates it appears that this bike is somewhat rare and desirable. I can say that it will easily take over 1500 bucks to repair it and that's about 1400 more than I would wanna spend. I'm in between selling it and getting another more feasible project, or making a track bike out of it and crashing it. Though I can do the same thing with a bike that I could fix up cheaper and more easily,

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)

jsalman93 screwed with this post 09-03-2012 at 02:59 PM Reason: bad link to picture
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Well if you don't want to spend the money to restore it, sell it, by modern standards it's closer to tourer in terms of handling than any sportbike on the market so I'd not track it.

Of course you could do all of the other guys a favor by selling them your parts that are not absolutely needed to run and take the rest plus the cash from the oem parts and build a sweet fighter out of it, lots of the older bikes do actually make good fighters when you bolt up modern suspension on them, the lower end power of the older machines makes wheelies super fun, and the lack of crap to break on a fighter kind of encourages them lol.
RedRaptor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #3
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaptor22 View Post
Well if you don't want to spend the money to restore it, sell it, by modern standards it's closer to tourer in terms of handling than any sportbike on the market so I'd not track it.

Of course you could do all of the other guys a favor by selling them your parts that are not absolutely needed to run and take the rest plus the cash from the oem parts and build a sweet fighter out of it, lots of the older bikes do actually make good fighters when you bolt up modern suspension on them, the lower end power of the older machines makes wheelies super fun, and the lack of crap to break on a fighter kind of encourages them lol.
Yeah, plus I really think that the bike would be pretty nice if it was given the proper work that it deserves.

A fighter does sound pretty cool, anyone have any good examples of fighters so I can get some inspiration. How would I sell the parts. I think I might just do that, I'll start stripping it down tomorrow. Need to order some new carb parts and get it running first.

PS: The bike only has 20k miles, haven't taken apart the engine yet though so I don't know what condition it is though.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Ok, exactly what is it - a Honda CBR?

My brother-in-law has an older CBR 600 that needs some work. Just sitting under a tarp. Ran when he put it away, but carbs are gunked now. I told him to sell it as is - he'll never get around to cleaning them.

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,385
Sell it for $200, and keep looking for a runner.

Maybe the next one, you buy for $200 and sell for $400. Before you know it, you're there...

My uncle was famous (infamous?) for doing this, and went from a lawn mower to a running car in less than a year. No money out of pocket.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Sell it for $200, and keep looking for a runner.

Maybe the next one, you buy for $200 and sell for $400. Before you know it, you're there...

My uncle was famous (infamous?) for doing this, and went from a lawn mower to a running car in less than a year. No money out of pocket.
Reminds me of this story I heard of a few years ago
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2171378#.UEZU1NCXTtQ

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Yeah, plus I really think that the bike would be pretty nice if it was given the proper work that it deserves.

A fighter does sound pretty cool, anyone have any good examples of fighters so I can get some inspiration. How would I sell the parts. I think I might just do that, I'll start stripping it down tomorrow. Need to order some new carb parts and get it running first.

PS: The bike only has 20k miles, haven't taken apart the engine yet though so I don't know what condition it is though.
I have a couple before and afters to give you an idea of what sort of fighter you can build on the relatively cheap, remember as with anything else the more you do and learn to do on your own the cheaper it is, for instance the first example was built by Knifemaker over on Svrider.com and customfighters.com, it's a 93 cbr600 pos that has a metric crap ton of carbon fibre and custom machine work all done by himself, believe his build came in around what your looking to pay to fix that thing up to original.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Then there was eisenfaust from Svrider.com that built a pretty evil looking bobber out of the biggest peice of burnt salt rusted crap Sv you've ever seen for all in all I think $800 not including the bike he already owned and rescued from his parents burnt down house on the ocean.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then there are just tons and tons of awesome builds on customfighers.com, the best part of the fighter theme is that you strip everything you can off of them, and upgrade what you can with stock parts of other bikes that will bolt on, usually those better parts come off dime a dozen sportbikes totalled out by complete squids when they are near new and are usually cheaper than what you can sell yours for to someone looking to restore or keep stock.

For instance I bought my 07 SV650 in 07 for $5600 otd, not bad for a naked Sv, only they did'nt tell me it was a sport with all the plastics, rode it for a month then found a guy on Svrider.com who crashed his and needed new parts, took off all the plastics/guages/headlights/forks and front wheel and sold it to him for a whopping $800, but thats still cheap compared to most, turned around and bought an 06 gsxr front end for $300, buell headlights and fairing for $85 "new from dealer", slip-on exhaust for $120, then a zx14 rear shock for $75 and had nearly enough left for a set of really good tires.

Basically got rid of all the crap I did'nt need, upgraded everything that was worth doing, and still had some cash left over.

Of course your experience will vary depending on the amount of stock parts you will be able to sell on ebay or a web forum, the supply vs demand for them, the cost of the parts you are looking to upgrade them with, and of course how much fitting and wrenching you can do yourself.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Really great examples of some great fighters. After checking those out, I am really inspired to doing a fighter, I'll start stripping stuff off tomorrow and post pictures sometime this week

There isn't really much that I can take off and sell online or through craigslist to other people, but I definitely think I can come up on some more modern parts from some newer crashed cbrs (they're a dime a dozen over here as every squid with a license gets one, that or a ninja 636).

Thanks for the sites too, I'll check them out and try to learn some good tips on making a fighter. I have already been looking up good restoration tips so I won't screw too much up. Now all I need is some matte black rattlecan paint

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Now all I need is some matte black rattlecan paint

Or learn to lay carbon fibre lol.

There was a really good write up on the $50 roll on paint job that looks almost professional if you take your time, rustoleum is magical stuff, but be careful what you use on the tank, it can stain and or come right off with gas, two part epoxy paint is good stuff too.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
RedRaptor22
Gnarly Adventurer

These may not be budget fighters per say but they are some that landed on my other favorite site for all things motorcycle/mechanical and just plain inspiring thekneeslider.com

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...h2-750-custom/

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...is-not-enough/
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Haha I don't think I could afford carbon fibre. I've heard some great reviews over Rustoleum, but it's all about prep work. I have no experience painting and my welding skills are equivalent to those of a guy with Parkinsons having a stroke at the same time, but I'm willing to try whatever.

I think I might go for a proper matte gray paint job, paint (or not) the frame, rebuild engine, carbs, new brake set up, customize seat, strip off fairings, change headlight to something roung (I really like those KG offroad lights, maybe get two of those), new tires, and then just basic stuff that I can throw more money at.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
jsalman93 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

btw that gixxer 1400 looks like a beast

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 09-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #14
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
nothing desireable about that heap. id be glad to get my hundred back.