User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
"Liquid" container bag storage bag

After receiving my "Liquid" container bag from Scribe ( http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1039083 ) I decided to make a red bag for it.

It's made from real Cordura fabric with heavy duty webbing straps for tie-down loops and handles.

The Deluxe model as shown, $45 shipped in the US (does not include the fuel storage bag, this is just a fabric cover)

The Basic model, without handles or loops, $30 shipped in the US (does not include the fuel storage bag, this is just a fabric cover)

Paypal preferred, please PM to order.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:17 AM   #2
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

If for some crazy reason someone spilled gasoline on a water/ATF/oil storage bag?

I did a highly sophisticated test of materials to determine the effects...I basically cut some pieces and soaked them in gas. I have the thread, hook and loop, webbing, and 1680 Cordura fabric.

This is a pic after 15 minutes of being soaked in gas. No apparent damage to any of the pieces I'm using.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 04-27-2015, 07:05 PM   #3
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Did you mention in the other thread that you can make this bag in Black?
Old 04-28-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I have material to make them in all black as well. Fabric, handles, loops, and velcro would all be black.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

black and red available

now has 6 tie-down loops, 3 on each side.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #6
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Bag on my bike (picture heavy)

I purchased one of Phreakingeek's cordura bags a few weeks ago and I can testify to it's heavy-duty construction and materials. I promise you, it's as tough and durable as the fuel container it holds! You will not be disappointed in this bag. Before I purchased it I showed my wife (a handy seamstress in her own right) the pictures of the bag and explained the materials used. I asked her if she could make something like it and she asked how much Phreakingeek was asking for his. When I told her it was $45 shipped, she said, "Buy it! I can't buy materials to make just one at that price." Who am I to argue? (Personally, I don't think she wanted to mess it. Hmm, I might be on to a strategy here to get new moto gear...)

I ordered the bag in black because, well, I like black. I requested he add an additional tie-down loop to the handle side of the bag (resulting in a total of 6 loops, 3 per side), which Phreakingeek added at no extra charge. After I received the bag, I promised I'd post a review with pictures but I've been too busy to do it until this weekend.

I put the empty fuel container inside the bag, then filled the container with water from the garden hose. I didn't measure the amount of water, I just filled the thing up. I then attempted to tie the bag onto the back go my bike using heavy-cord boot laces from my Army boots. These laces are super strong - I've used them many times over the years as tie down cords. They secured the bag well enough but once tied off with a square knot or a couple of hatch-hitches, it was a pain to get the knots un-tied and the bag off the the bike.

So, I reached into my box of spare tie-down straps and pulled out a couple of nylon webbing straps with heavy duty plastic clip-type buckles. These proved to be much better in that they made it easy to take on and off the bike and will not end up sawing through the tie-down loops, like I was afraid the cord might do. I don't have a set of Rock straps but I bet they might be even better.

But it's not often that I'm going to need that much extra fuel when I'm not also carrying my tail bag full of tools, spare tubes, co2 kit, spare gloves, etc. I carry all that stuff in a Wolfman medium rollie bag.

So the next step was to mount the fuel bag over the rollie bag. As you can see, it straps over the top well and is super-secure when the straps are cinched down tight.

Lastly, I wanted to see just how much water I managed to pour into the fuel container. Here's the result, with some spillage on the ground: 2 full gallons!

My bike only has a 2.4 gal tank, so this fuel container, combined with the 1 liter bottle I always carry in the tool tube, effectively doubles the range of my bike. And it's a lot cheaper and easier than trying to custom fit some random, larger aftermarket tank to my bike (no one makes a larger tank specifically for the Sherpa).

At $45, this was a heck of a deal. I don't know Phreakingeek other than taking a chance on his product. I'm glad I did.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

Dave, thanks for the excellent write-up!

With your testing in mind, I'm going to try out a couple more attachment ideas...you might have to trade your's in for a newer model once we're done.

I'll be updating this thread as the bags evolve, course, always open to ideas, so if you have any that would make this thing better, post them up. If it's really radical and kick-ass, I'll make you one for free.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
phreakingeek OP
Studly Adventurer

Took mine on a ride yesterday, 170 miles of rocky/muddy/gravel roads (100 miles with the bag empty, 75 full of fuel.)

I used a pair of Rok straps to attach it to the rear rack on my DR650. Absolutely no issues with the bouncing around the rough rocks
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #9
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
Took mine on a ride yesterday, 170 miles of rocky/muddy/gravel roads (100 miles with the bag empty, 75 full of fuel.)

I used a pair of Rok straps to attach it to the rear rack on my DR650. Absolutely no issues with the bouncing around the rough rocks
+1 on the Rok Straps. That what I use to attach my "non-bagged" bag to the bike. Works great.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote