Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #121
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
The Adventure has an internal diode - I have replaced them. I am surprised the AT doesn't- are you sure? If not what does it use to supress the inductive "kick"? I sold some of my kits for ATs if no diode it would blow my circuit for sure.
Of course I don't know whether all (years) of AT pumps are the same, but the AT pump I have here for test, has no diode for sure! There really is nothing demping the coil.... coil output goes up to 120 - 150V when switching it of.

A Fet can absorb this energy (as avalange enegry), but it is not adviced and if it is to much it will kill the fet, not immediately but after X times... depending on the amount of energy.
This parameter is very different for teh various fets... so some of them will be able to handle it, others not.

I added a extra diode on my kit for AT. in the beginning with just LC8 I did not have that diode. now it is on every kit, so I don't have to make 2 versions.. AND because I have seen some very early LC8 2003 models with a pump without diode (or maybe broken...)
Dr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #122
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
I'm shocked -pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Bean View Post
Of course I don't know whether all (years) of AT pumps are the same, but the AT pump I have here for test, has no diode for sure! There really is nothing demping the coil.... coil output goes up to 120 - 150V when switching it of.

A Fet can absorb this energy (as avalange enegry), but it is not adviced and if it is to much it will kill the fet, not immediately but after X times... depending on the amount of energy.
This parameter is very different for teh various fets... so some of them will be able to handle it, others not.

I added a extra diode on my kit for AT. in the beginning with just LC8 I did not have that diode. now it is on every kit, so I don't have to make 2 versions.. AND because I have seen some very early LC8 2003 models with a pump without diode (or maybe broken...)
I considered putting a diode on my board and figured why when there's one in it. Oh well.
The pumps that I fixed with blown diodes resulting from X wiring have all shorted (closed). So the fix is cut with a die grinder a little slot at the diode and pick it out. Then I put a new diode on the outside. I have also cut a pump open and that ruins the magnetic path and the pump no longer works well. I use that one on the bench for tests. I also tried rewinding the coil - and of course that was a mistake, but I didn't do the math first.
I wonder if the video of spark suppression with a diode was a pump without a diode?
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #123
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridewestKTM View Post
I wonder if the video of spark suppression with a diode was a pump without a diode?
Possibly, however: With or Without the diode the original contact breaker will fail at around 50k km. Also simple math can tell you this.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #124
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Got a question for you guys.

I have a 34K mile SE with the original pump. I will be in Morocco in a couple of days and didn't get the kit shipped to me in time, so I've had to get a pump fedexed to me from Austria to the tune of 250 Euros.
Now, should I put the new pump on now and take the old as a spare, or keep riding the old one until it fails?

Cheers.

D
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:41 AM   #125
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

I have a 34K mile SE with the original pump. I will be in Morocco in a couple of days and didn't get the kit shipped to me in time, so I've had to get a pump fedexed to me from Austria to the tune of 250 Euros.
Now, should I put the new pump on now and take the old as a spare, or keep riding the old one until it fails?

Cheers.

D
Change it now.
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #126
ridewestKTM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

Cheers.

D
I'd put a FET on the new pump, install and never think about it again. I'wouldn't even carry a spare.
But perhaps that doesn't answer your question. SEs are harder to change out IMO so change now.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #127
Jdeks
Departed

Oddometer: 942
Another interested customer.

Hello from Australia.

Dr Bean, if you happen across this forum, I'm interested in buying two of your kits for my 03 950 Adv. After 52 000km my stock unit has failed (your predicitions on this seem very accurate.

I've sent a PM, but figured I'd post in case you come across here first. Thanks !
Jdeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:05 AM   #128
braaap!
waiting for the big one

Oddometer: 2,326
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeks View Post
Hello from Australia.

Dr Bean, if you happen across this forum, I'm interested in buying two of your kits for my 03 950 Adv. After 52 000km my stock unit has failed (your predicitions on this seem very accurate.

I've sent a PM, but figured I'd post in case you come across here first. Thanks !

Dr Bean supplied me one :)
Fitted it today, my points contacts where very pitted and looked really shit but hadn't caused me grief yet, thankfully (at 40,000km).
The changeover is very straight forward if you can drive a soldering iron. Took about 1/2hr inc' pulling the pump out. Did the electrical trial test as per the instructions... But pump no worky, ummm, WTF!
Oh! Bloody kill switch was off! Works beautifully now...

Thanks Dr Bean, love your work!
braaap! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #129
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Good to hear you got it working.

grts
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaap! View Post
Dr Bean supplied me one :)
Fitted it today, my points contacts where very pitted and looked really shit but hadn't caused me grief yet, thankfully (at 40,000km).
The changeover is very straight forward if you can drive a soldering iron. Took about 1/2hr inc' pulling the pump out. Did the electrical trial test as per the instructions... But pump no worky, ummm, WTF!
Oh! Bloody kill switch was off! Works beautifully now...

Thanks Dr Bean, love your work!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #130
Terlingua
Terlingua

Oddometer: 245
Thanks

Well Dr,Bean it looks like you cured another one.

Thanks again. Bruce
09 KTM 450 XC W-plated
Terlingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #131
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,323
Late to the party

Also sent a pm, would like to get on the list for one.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #132
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 554
I mp Dr bean today to buy one for my buddy.....SE 950

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #133
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

To make my life easy: Please send me a PM, (not a 'mail').

Currently out of stock... I expect to have new ones ready after 11-dec-11.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #134
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,759
Just counting...

Dr_Bean, how many do you think you have made up to now?
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #135
Dr_Bean OP
Dr_Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
Dr_Bean, how many do you think you have made up to now?
Enough to know that they are quite reliable, moreover because they run in hot, cold, humid and dry countries.

But not enough to have them made in a big series and lower the cost. Still making them by hand myself, a few every time. Also made improvements over time: Now running version 3. Improvements made on making them easier to install, more fool prove etc. Versions-1 still running fine.

And actually I like it that way. Ones these things become commercial the fun is gone, the quality has to go down etc. I am happy with the fact that I can help people all over the world with a more reliable pump. The pump is not used any more in any new bikes (all injection etc..)