Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 07:54 AM   #1
50short OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
WR250R as a do everything / ADV touring bike?

I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but I'm too lazy to do a search for it.

I'm looking for a new bike to replace my TW200.

About me:
I'm 6'6" tall and 260lbs...I know, I know, a monkey fuckin a football onthe TW but I've ridden it a shitload further than most "adventure riders" that use bigger bikes.

I don't need to go fast (obviously) but I do need to be able to ride 70mph for hours on end whilst carrying camping gear.

I like reliability and fuel economy

I don't like maintenance as I prefer to spend my time riding.

My questions for you all...
Could this be my answer for a do-all, minimalist motorcycle? Can I ride this on loooong tours like the TAT? Can I get 50k miles out of the engine without breaking the bank? Will I be constantly called a cheapskate like when I rode KLRs?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #2
Mudaura
wymyb....

Oddometer: 22
Check out the link... www.bigdogadventures.com he's a member here as well as dingweed I believe.
Those two have rode their wr250s all over hells half acre.
Mudaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #3
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,728
WR250R would work if you want small displacement. With your size and loaded up, it may not hold actual 70 MPH (speedo indicated 70, yes) in the West with mountains and high elevation. Personally, with DOT off-road oriented tires, I don't like riding mine that fast anyway.

DR650 also comes to mind.

It seems you have KLR experience, so won't suggest that.

jon_l screwed with this post Today at 12:24 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #4
Mads
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Im 61 and i used to own a Honda AX-1 250 dual sport. Its older, heavier and probably slower than the WR250, but it was more than enough for touring. Only gripe was its low seatheight, which could leave my back hurting as my spine swayed alot while in the riding position.

Id have no qualms touring on a 250.
Mads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #5
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50short View Post

About me:
I'm 6'6" tall and 260lbs...I know, I know, a monkey fuckin a football onthe TW but I've ridden it a shitload further than most "adventure riders" that use bigger bikes.
You are a perfect candidate, both in size and attitude.

Quote:
I don't need to go fast (obviously) but I do need to be able to ride 70mph for hours on end whilst carrying camping gear.
No problem. The engine is revving high at those speeds, but it's built to take it, and it's very smooth and relaxed. Not DR650 relaxed, but just as smooth.

Quote:
Check and check.

Quote:
Perfect. Change the oil a couple times a year, and lube the chain. That's it.

Quote:
Could this be my answer for a do-all, minimalist motorcycle? Can I ride this on loooong tours like the TAT? Can I get 50k miles out of the engine without breaking the bank? Will I be constantly called a cheapskate like when I rode KLRs?
Yes. Yes. Possibly, but who cares?

In a few more words: The WR250R is not perfect. It's not THAT much cheaper than a KTM 350/500, and isn't nearly as good in gnarly stuff. It's more expensive than a DR650, and not as good of a pack mule. There are a couple issues - the fuel pump is the only one worth mentioning. If buying a used bike (2008-9, especially), see if it's been replaced. Consider carrying a spare on the TAT. That's literally the only issue, and I believe it's fully resolved on newer bikes.

But, it's quite reliable. It's got solid EFI that doesn't need care or jetting for altitude. The wide-range 6-speed is perfect. It's got enough power to do 85mph+ for most riders... maybe only 75+ for a dude your size with bags, but it'll hold 70mph up and down hills. You might need to drop into 5th to keep it cranking, but it'll do it. I'm not sure what kind of fuel economy you'll get loaded, but 65-70 is normal for commuting duty.

Off-road, it's pretty awesome. It's much nicer than a DR650, or even a KTM 690 in the tight stuff. The aftermarket is pretty large. Big tanks, suspension, bags - it's all there.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:51 AM   #6
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Will it do it? Yeah. Maybe. Probably. With 13/47 gearing, I find 60-65 all day a little more realistic than 70+, but that's just me.

It's an impressive machine, but I'm considering a move to a 690, and the only reason is better cruising power. I recently did 1900 miles, 90% off road, fully loaded with camping gear, over 7 days, and I'm not sure there is a better bike. With one exception; I slabbed it for the first 120 miles, and the last 200 miles. I wanted more power, but the bike did it fine. The biggest issue with the lack of power at cruising speeds is passing and getting out of someones way. Passing cars takes some serious forethought, and, well, if a big ass truck is coming your way, you won't be getting out. The bike just won't move you away from danger that fast.

Long story short, I'm not sure there's a more reliable, bulletproof machine in this category. I'd change the oil and jump on mine tomorrow for a long trip without a second thought. A bigger motor with the same weight, would be an unbeatable RTW ADV bike, imho. As always, YMMV.

1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:57 AM   #7
crunchiespg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Right now mine is my do everything bike.
I'll be doing a 5000km trip next month.

i also ordered some shinko 705 tyres, ill throw them on before my trip. Along with the wolfman racks and panniers I have arriving in a few weeks.

I use it to commute, with the big tank it'll go at least 450km without hitting reserve.. It'll cruise at 110kmh all day long. Even at my 1400m elevation and fully loaded with me (95kg) plus gear.

crunchiespg screwed with this post Today at 10:02 AM
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:48 PM   #8
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,440
Apparently they can do it... I sold a WR250R cam chain tensioner to an Italian rider touring the world - sent it to him in Chile! So I think he's making the rounds without much issue other than that.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17 PM   #9
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Great light weight adventure bike ! A few things you'll want to consider

Skid plate. Be advised that unless you line it w rubber (or bed liner spray) it will reflect an alarming amount of noise you never hear without it. But, ya gotta have it.

Gas tank. If you're doing anything off-road away from civilization, a larger one is necessary. Safari and IMS come to mind.

Seat. Simply sucks. Replace. Many like Seat Concepts. I went with Rick Mayers (look him up in AdvRdr for reviews) If I had it to do again I might try Sweet Cheeks.

Fuel pump. Mine's a 2008; so I replaced before it set me afoot. I kept the original as a spare. See BigDog's blog; I think he's replaced one or two.

Luggage: Wolfman or the equivalent. I guess the W'man racks are getting pretty scarce these days.

So here is MY WR250Adv, incorporating the above mods.

Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:35 PM   #10
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,423
Quote:

About me:

Thanks in advance for any input!
Unless you want to ride 2up, or you pack really heavy, you should be fine. You will want to get appropriate springs and suspension valving for the weight to get the best out of the suspension. Power mods are available if you want more go.

Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote