Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #1501
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
You still have dirty hands according to the legal system. This means you lose...

Federal law and EPA made it illegal to remove or tamper with any part of the emission system. Most states have laws making it illegal also.

This you would be still guilty of, leaving you with dirty hands.

Just because you conform to one law means nothing.

So yes Honda can void your warranty for doing either modification because they are illegal. On top of that the dealer, the technician and the end user are in violation of state and federal law and can face large fines and imprisonment.

That is, only if they get caught...

Ohhh yess I agree 100% but its like the other guy said...in the begging stages of a claim its all up to the dealer.. Thats the main ticket. If you dealer wants to do it, most likely its gonna get done.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #1502
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
Ohhh yess I agree 100% but its like the other guy said...in the begging stages of a claim its all up to the dealer.. Thats the main ticket. If you dealer wants to do it, most likely its gonna get done.

I agree completely a good dealer will cover a customers problems without worrying about the modifications. If they don't do that would cause customer relation issues so they just let Honda cover the repair. It could cost them a customer if they push the issue with you, so they take care of the customer with that grey area and hope they don't get caught with dirty hands.

Just remember to give a tip to the technician since he will most likely get paid at the lower warranty pay rate. Dounts and other treats will help keep everyone else on your side.

When you break down away from home things might get interesting. Remember that dounts and tips work very well. They can make a huge difference.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #1503
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Quote:
I agree completely a good dealer will cover a customers problems without worrying about the modifications. If they don't do that would cause customer relation issues so they just let Honda cover the repair. It could cost them a customer if they push the issue with you, so they take care of the customer with that grey area and hope they don't get caught with dirty hands.

Just remember to give a tip to the technician since he will most likely get paid at the lower warranty pay rate. Dounts and other treats will help keep everyone else on your side.

When you break down away from home things might get interesting. Remember that dounts and tips work very well. They can make a huge difference.

But once again we both ride red.....so no need for warrantys.......probly wake up in the morning and my baby won't crank haha
Old 12-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #1504
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
But once again we both ride red.....so no need for warrantys.......probly wake up in the morning and my baby won't crank haha

It's still smart to bring them dounts or a treat when you stop in some time. You know just in case...

Trust me on this. I have been a master tech, a service writer, a parts guy, and a parts manager. Dounts, cookies and such definately work...

The tech is the guy who gets screwed on warranty work, treat him well.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #1505
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Yes they can void your because you replaced your muffler or reprogramed the ECU.

No dealer can void your entire warranty because of a modification, only the parts that could be effected by your modification.

In other words if you change you muffler or gearing lets say, but then have an electrical issue they still have to cover the electrical issue as prescribed by the warranty. If you have a FI module and blow up your motor then they might not cover it, but unrelated parts would still be required to be covered, unless they can prove that you mods caused the problem.
There's no such thing as voiding an entire warranty, but for the most part we shouldn't have to worry about warranty too much with the LRP's.

I agree though, having a good relationship with your dealer is the most important thing when dealing with warranty or issues, in the end it's up to the service department to go to bat for you with the manufacturer to get something in the grey area covered. I have been not so lucky to go round and round on this topic many times with various dealers.
Even though I do my own maintenance I always buy the supplies at the dealer and not try and save a few bucks online, it goes a long way to know all the folks at the shop by their names and visa-versa. Plus they then have a record of the service being done and you should also keep the receipts and keep records of your own. I buy half our tires at the dealer vs. online for the same reason.
Donuts, or pizzas are good too.

NOW, onto the evolution of the LRP into a better trail bike.

We changed the oil and did all of the 600 mile service except the valve inspection( which I will be doing when it stops raining), finding the oil looking OK and no metal flakes on the filter. It's very easy to do, and for those wanting to save some real cash I'd say do the oil change yourself, and let the dealer do the valves if you don't want to get into your motor.

My dealer wanted $400 for the complete 600 mile service, but said they would do the valves only for $200. The rest of this service is just checking/adjusting things you should do yourself anyways IMO, makes for much better trouble shooting skills if you break down on the trail and have better knowledge of your bike too. You can buy most everything you'll need, including a torque wrench and service manual with the money you'll pay to have a dealer do it with just the first service. Don't be afraid to ask here about DIY service, just remember folks have different takes on how to do things and it's mostly best to follow the service manual.

I will post up a DIY for the valves if anyone is interested, according to the service manual it looks pretty straightforward.

After that we did would anyone who's gearing their bikes more for trail riding and not commuting should do - new tires with rim locks, balanced, and a 13T sprocket.

I went with my personal favorite all around DOT knobby the D606 on the rear and a new to me tire we're trying out on the front, the Pirelli XCMH.

These tires did raise the bike about an inch, Nancy can still touch the ground with her toes though. She should be standing up anyways and not putting her feet down.
It couldn't have come at a better time to have proper knobbies on, we went out and hit a trail on a 1 night camping trip and since it's been raining a lot here things were a little muddy.... no problem getting enough traction to climb up muddy hills, I'm not sure how the OEM tires would have done. The ruts did give her a little trouble though.
We carried a gallon of extra fuel in an MSR Dromedary bag so we didn't have to worry about range for this trip.

Go LRP!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #1506
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Yes they can void your because you replaced your muffler or reprogramed the ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
No dealer can void your entire warranty because of a modification, only the parts that could be effected by your modification.

In other words if you change you muffler or gearing lets say, but then have an electrical issue they still have to cover the electrical issue as prescribed by the warranty. If you have a FI module and blow up your motor then they might not cover it, but unrelated parts would still be required to be covered, unless they can prove that you mods caused the problem.
There's no such thing as voiding an entire warranty, but for the most part we shouldn't have to worry about warranty too much with the LRP's.

I agree though, having a good relationship with your dealer is the most important thing when dealing with warranty or issues, in the end it's up to the service department to go to bat for you with the manufacturer to get something in the grey area covered. I have been not so lucky to go round and round on this topic many times with various dealers.
Even though I do my own maintenance I always buy the supplies at the dealer and not try and save a few bucks online, it goes a long way to know all the folks at the shop by their names and visa-versa. Plus they then have a record of the service being done and you should also keep the receipts and keep records of your own. I buy half our tires at the dealer vs. online for the same reason.
Donuts, or pizzas are good too.

Nice job on the quote...

Pick out part of it and make it mean something different..... Nice....

Try reading further...

Quote:
Yes they can void your because you replaced your muffler or reprogramed the ECU. The muffler has a small catalytic converter in it which is illegal to remove or modify. Both modifications involve illegal tampering with the emission system. This will legally void the engine portion of your warranty.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #1507
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
You still have dirty hands according to the legal system. This means you lose...

Federal law and EPA made it illegal to remove or tamper with any part of the emission system. Most states have laws making it illegal also.

This you would be still guilty of, leaving you with dirty hands.

Just because you conform to one law means nothing.

So yes Honda can void your warranty for doing either modification because they are illegal. On top of that the dealer, the technician and the end user are in violation of state and federal law and can face large fines and imprisonment.

That is, only if they get caught...

I can use smileys too, you said it twice and you are wrong in both your statements in saying Honda can void your [entire] warranty for one modification.
It is only illegal to remove the emissions stuff if you are riding on the streets, but for trails no emission stuff needed.

Taken from the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, and from my own experience.

"The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance."

LostRider.com
Old 12-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #1508
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:

That sure looks like fun. Without the new tires not so much....

Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1509
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Quote:

Well I just toke my evap of. Gonna go to work tmr and see if the machine.can notice
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1510
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
LOST RIDER: That is some snotty sticky crap you're riding in.Nancy should be complemented in handling it well!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #1511
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
That sure looks like fun. Without the new tires not so much....

Thanks!

While if we lived in a place where 90% of the time there's no mud I'd choose different tires probably, but actually these hard terrain tires did OK.

LostRider.com
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1512
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
LOST RIDER: That is some snotty sticky crap you're riding in.Nancy should be complemented in handling it well!

You know, it was Nancy's first time in mud on a little bike, last time we rode in mud was in Wyoming on the CDR and she was on her heavy GS with 80/20 DS tires... Much different this time, especially with meaty tires.
It was great to watch her climb up things in the snot, when she conquered that hill she was all smiles - I did it I did it I did it!!

That's what it's all about for me, empowering her to overcome challenges with the right tools.

LostRider.com
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #1513
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
I can use smileys too, you said it twice and you are wrong in both your statements
You just want to pick a fight tonight huh....

Haven't you washed your pantys out yet....

Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #1514
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
You know, it was Nancy's first time in mud on a little bike, last time we rode in mud was in Wyoming on the CDR and she was on her heavy GS with 80/20 DS tires... Much different this time, especially with meaty tires.
It was great to watch her climb up things in the snot, when she conquered that hill she was all smiles - I did it I did it I did it!!

That's what it's all about for me, empowering her to overcome challenges with the right tools.

She did a great job from the looks of it.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #1515
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
You just want to pick a fight tonight huh....

Haven't you washed your pantys out yet....

Naw, I don't want to waist time with that stuff, just didn't agree with some of your statements. I think we might be in agreement, just didn't get communicated well.

Like I said, most of us with the LRP shouldn't need to worry about warranty stuff anyways.

LostRider.com