Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #1576
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
I run litelocks without re-balancing the wheels. (front and rear)
Works just fine up to the top speed on a 250 anyway.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #1577
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
Posted the following in the Terra thread

" I've noticed a lot of flamers in these 2 threads as well. It seems to be a load of crap to me... Oh it's a pig and the suspension sucks, get a used this or that... Totally juvenile. I don't own either of these bikes, but I like these models, and more importantly the OWNERS seem to be very positive about these new bikes. No, these bikes are not orange and they are not trying to compete with the orange machines. And by no means am I bashing Orange, great bikes with a different perspective and mission.

My WR250r is decried as a pig as well... if I want to reduce weight, I should focus on my fat ass before I sink a dime into lightening my bike, it would benefit me and my riding.... If I lost 40lbs, my suspension would work better and the power increase would exceed a pipe and programer, not to mention the health benefits for me. (Cheaper too)

I like the new nc700x too... that bike gets bashed as well. But guess what owners are loving them too, more importantly they are selling, just like the Terra and CRF. Not only are they selling, they are getting very positive reviews! All 3 represent a segment in the market that was largely ignored, affordable, multi-use, practical yet passionate bikes that want to be ridden everyday...

My WRr falls into that category as well (though a bit pricey new), I put 7000+ on my first season on this bike! More than the last 3 seasons combined on my old xr650l, why? Because the thing just works... No fuss, no muss, just hit the button and go. I can go where ever I want, whenever I want (well wife and kid dependent) The fact of the matter is that I focus on riding more than the bike now, it is a liberating experience "

The CRF thread is growing fast... And look at how fast the After-market is growing for the LRP.
I like that L.R.P. Enjoy your new bikes, they are going to be popular and the market leader within the year for the segment. The Terra is the best of the 650 single segment IMHO.
Very well stated, Byron.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #1578
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Yup...those MP lite weight locks are SWEET....the ancient ones on my XR400R are VERY heavy by comparison
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #1579
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Hmmmm, wife or bike, wife or bike. Reminds me of that commercial where the guys only had enough money for either toilet paper, or beer.
Haha... hmm, tough decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Well, live and learn....the improper go-pro usage was a painful lesson....but only your pride was damaged....don't quit yet...wife or no wife!! My wife laughed when I came home with a titanium rod in my leg with a handful of titanium drywall screws to hold it in place.
Definitely!
-----

Two random pics

Tiger Loop Fire Road Section by Guerillah, on Flickr

Tiger Loop by Guerillah, on Flickr
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #1580
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Took a nasty spill the other day while out riding on the trails, got a little TOO confident, accelerated up a jump and landed in a rut, got sideways and spilled it, that 43T rear sure helps acceleration lol.... Bruised rib, hurt wrist, and my gopro split my damn lip through the helmet (mounted on my mouth guard, pushed through the damn thing).

The wife is pissed since she didn't want me to get the motorcycle in the first place, so I may be putting my bike up for sale soon depending on if I can fend her off or not. Luckily the bike is still great minus some scratched plastic on one fender. If anyone is interested, please let me know... 300 miles on her and tons of mods (i have a bad habit of modding).
Thats crazy talk , you dont sell a bike just because you fell .
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #1581
k4lcartman
n00b

Oddometer: 9
guerilla what tag bracket set up are you using ?
k4lcartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #1582
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
I agree, but tell that to his wife.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #1583
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
She's settled down, I think I can keep her lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I agree, but tell that to his wife.

Spud
Truer words have never been said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4lcartman View Post
guerilla what tag bracket set up are you using ?
It's the DRC Edge2 setup, very nice!
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #1584
venman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Question Softening up a CRF250L

Dear fellow bikers,

I've bought a CRF250L but soon found out that I will have too soften up the rear suspension somehow. If I understand correctly this would either mean changing the rear shock (or just it's spring) or putting in a lowering link (which as a side effect changes the shock's leverage and thus the sought softening).

Now if I go for the first option, first thing I'd have to find out is the spring rate of the CRF250L's current shock: Anyone? Second would be to find an aftermarket supplier of a softer version for the shock: Are they there yet? Suggestions?

If I go for the second option, I just would like to hear some experiences from people that have applied a lowering link. I'm looking at a link that will lower the bike 1.75". Are we talking significant softening?

I know, many off road bikers find it already too soft as it is, so you might be curious as to why I'd want to soften up. Well, if you talk any spine language: straight back, deteriorated disk. Small irrigularities on seemingly smooth tarmac are clearly noticable, tension builds, fatigue, pain etc. I hardly ride off road (find the bike great for short commutes and mountain roads) so the the softness would not bother me (nor would the lowering).

So I'm looking for:
- What's the spring rate of the CRF250L standard rear shock?
- Suppliers of softer shocks or springs?
- Experiences with softening effects of lowering links

Or even any brighter ideas (not likely but just for completeness )

Thanks!
venman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #1585
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by venman View Post
Dear fellow bikers,

I've bought a CRF250L but soon found out that I will have too soften up the rear suspension somehow. If I understand correctly this would either mean changing the rear shock (or just it's spring) or putting in a lowering link (which as a side effect changes the shock's leverage and thus the sought softening).

Now if I go for the first option, first thing I'd have to find out is the spring rate of the CRF250L's current shock: Anyone? Second would be to find an aftermarket supplier of a softer version for the shock: Are they there yet? Suggestions?

If I go for the second option, I just would like to hear some experiences from people that have applied a lowering link. I'm looking at a link that will lower the bike 1.75". Are we talking significant softening?

I know, many off road bikers find it already too soft as it is, so you might be curious as to why I'd want to soften up. Well, if you talk any spine language: straight back, deteriorated disk. Small irrigularities on seemingly smooth tarmac are clearly noticable, tension builds, fatigue, pain etc. I hardly ride off road (find the bike great for short commutes and mountain roads) so the the softness would not bother me (nor would the lowering).

So I'm looking for:
- What's the spring rate of the CRF250L standard rear shock?
- Suppliers of softer shocks or springs?
- Experiences with softening effects of lowering links

Thanks!
...there is a shock on the market with adjustible dampening and they put a spring in it of your choice but........its upwards of 700 usd heres the link to one place that carrys it http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/4895 Also check out bestdualsportbikes.com those guys are the ones who had the idea I think

Tommyrg screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 09:24 PM Reason: url
Tommyrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #1586
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by venman View Post

Well, if you talk any spine language: straight back, deteriorated disk. Small irrigularities on seemingly smooth tarmac are clearly noticable, tension builds, fatigue, pain etc. I hardly ride off road (find the bike great for short commutes and mountain roads) so the the softness would not bother me (nor would the lowering).

Thanks!

I'm not sure if just a softer spring would help soften your ride, might just make the bike ride lower as I think spring rate has more to do with weight/ride height than "softness". Of course if you're under the standard weight rider for that spring it could help, there's just more to a softer ride besides a spring methinks.

You could look into an Airhawk Seat Pad, besides being far more comfortable than any aftermarket seat can possibly be for long rides, they do an exceptional job of isolating the stresses of a bouncing bike or sharp impacts from being transferred to your body. Been using them for years, I don't leave home for long rides without one, and I have had various pricey custom aftermarket seats on other bikes. The isolation properties that makes them comfortable for long rides might very well work for your needs also. Think commercial truck air suspension bags under your butt. With an Airhawk the Pea doesn't bother the Princess.
Of course quality suspension setup for your liking would be good too, hopefully more reputable makers of suspension will offer shocks for this bike soon, like Ohlins, WP, or Wilbers.

Good luck!

Welcome to ADVrider.com and congrats on your new bike!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 12-17-2012 at 11:04 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 AM   #1587
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Cogent Dynamics measured my stock spring rate at 525.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.

'Flagger screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 03:59 AM
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #1588
Dual Sport Armory
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Armory Kit for Dual Sport Armory

We have put together a great package for the 2013 CRF250L owners. Protect those critical components and carry along lunch or a fuel bottle. We've combined the Flatland Racing radiator guard, Skidplate and Rear Carry-All Rack in one convenient package. Add a set of Cycra hand guards and you've covered everything.

Check out the ADV Vendor section

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849451
Dual Sport Armory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #1589
venman
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb

Thanks Tommyrg, Lost Rider and Flagger for your replies. Stuff to think about (and money to count! ).
venman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #1590
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 598
No problem for Cogent Dynamics to provide the new softer spring rate for your OEM shock. A new shock from us would be MUCH cooler though
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote