User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #1621
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Bottomed out

Was hitting a few jumps the other day and managed to bottom out the front and rear shocks. Wasn't getting to high either. But this bike is made to stay on road/dirt and not in air haha. Debating on how bad I want a new rear shock
Old 12-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #1622
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Air is fine. It is the landing that can hurt.
Telemarktumalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #1623
Road Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Renthal Fat Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
I hear some are changing bars. I understand the stock bars are a bit weak, so educate me on why larger 1 1/8" bars are better?
Then does one need different risers/clamps?
What bars are best? Guessing that is up for discussion.
Road Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #1624
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by byron555 View Post

just noticed on their website, not that I own a CRF, but thought you would like to know... Maybe it has already been posted.
Has anyone purchased the DirtBagz brackets yet? I'm curious to know how badly the rear mount for the bracket interferes with mounting any of the rear rack designs that use the same mounting point.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #1625
Road Dirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
The missing picture...

Road Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #1626
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Handlebars

kinda new to this dual sport thing (or actually buying parts for modifications) seeing alot of talk about Handlebars. Lots of ppl replacing the stock (7/8) bars with the (1-1/8) bars. Do you have to replace throttle tubes, grips (different diameter?), need the risers e.t.c for the thicker bars? Just trying to visualize all this before I get too into it...Thanks
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #1627
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
1 1/8" or 1 3/8" bars taper down to 7/8" diameter so all your controls will work. The triple clamps require the proper adapter bar mounts for the increase in bar diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
I hear some are changing bars. I understand the stock bars are a bit weak, so educate me on why larger 1 1/8" bars are better?
Then does one need different risers/clamps?
What bars are best? Guessing that is up for discussion.
Quote:
I like these risers with a CR high bars or a woods bend.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...e-Block-Risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
* EDIT*

I thought they were like the KTM risers that clamp to triple tree...

I used these ROX risers 7/8" OEM Bar Mount to Use 1 1/8" Bars. ProTaper KX High bars on Nancy's LRP, look back in this thread for more.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...ndlebar-Risers

Quote:
Thats about the same combo.

I like them because you can use either 1 1/8" or 7/8" bars. I have long arms and they move them forward enough so I'm comfortable. I prefer the solid mount they use. I do like like the KX high bend. My Eastons are just like a KX high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
1 1/8" bars are stronger and don't bend when you drop the bike, like the OEM ones can/did for us. Plus aftermarket bars allows a different style bend to suit your needs, I didn't like the further swept bend of the OEM bars that seem to be more of a "street" riding bend, it made standing up awkward. That's just me.

See posts above for a few options in getting risers/adaptors, and look back in this thread a bit for what it takes to change bars.

The best bars are the ones that fit you personally. Protaper is probable the most popular brand with many choices, most good bike shops will have a variety of them in stock to get a feel of what you like. The Protaper website has a good page to compare the various bars, with measurements for rise, sweep, etc.

Lots of options and opinions, but I can only recommend getting Highway Dirt Bike hand guards, the strongest guards you can buy hands down, along with the bars of your choice you can purchase pre tapped from HDB while getting the guards. Tapping and installing the inserts is pretty easy too and HDB guard orders come with the tap and inserts if you want to source new bars on your own.

Getting quality protection and setting the LRP up for YOU is the first thing anyone should do. Forget squeezing a few more HP out of it IMO, get comfortable first, especially when standing if you want to ride off tarmac, then worry about making it louder or "faster". Risers, bars, hand guards, seat, etc.

My 2

Good Luck getting your LRP sorted for you!

See above...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #1628
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Bob,

If I can interpret the multiple cuts/pastes, I think the Guru is saying that if we want to replace our bars with 1 1/8", then we need an adapter or riser to bind the fatter middle section of the new bar. The bar tapers at the ends to accept our original throttle and grips. I don't know about you, but I despise condescending answers to legitimate questions. I suspect a number of ass kickings as a teen, or perhaps a lack of breast feeding.
Telemarktumalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #1629
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarktumalo View Post
Bob,

If I can interpret the multiple cuts/pastes, I think the Guru is saying that if we want to replace our bars with 1 1/8", then we need an adapter or riser to bind the fatter middle section of the new bar. The bar tapers at the ends to accept our original throttle and grips. I don't know about you, but I despise condescending answers to legitimate questions. I suspect a number of ass kickings as a teen, or perhaps a lack of breast feeding.
lol...was a round-a-bout way to answer the question, fast moving thread, at least he took the time to somewhat put all the answers together. I enjoy all the info. that is on here just tends to get buried quick.We now know the answer and that the Guru can multi-quote....I haven't quite figured that out yet!!
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #1630
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
See above...

Now that's just good stuff

I can't figure out that mufti-quote thingy either, I'm impressed
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #1631
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
About exhaust mods and EJK, what you think of unplugging O2 sensor and fresh air line, as explained here (middle of the page)
http://bestdualsportbikes.com/dual-s...honda-crf250l/

Always about exhaust, did someone "reset" the ECU and got results ?
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...e-sure-do.html
and "how to" (parts 1 to 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jlS5...1F0745&index=1

Hesitate to go into that ..

Krono screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 02:03 AM
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 AM   #1632
MuddySump
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Ive had my drz 400e for a few years now and fancy a change of bike. Do you think i would regret changing it for this? power etc? I use it for trail riding here in the UK and sometimes commuting when the weather is bad.

Thanks

www.youtube.com/muddysump
MuddySump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #1633
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
lol...was a round-a-bout way to answer the question, fast moving thread, at least he took the time to somewhat put all the answers together. I enjoy all the info. that is on here just tends to get buried quick.We now know the answer and that the Guru can multi-quote....I haven't quite figured that out yet!!

The responses where from 12/18 or about 36 hours before.

It bothers me to type due to nerve damage so I just quoted the answers for you.

To multi quote click the box next to the quote box on each post you want to quote(up to 3, more require copy and pasting). After you click the small box on the last post you want to quote click the quote button and you will have 3 quotes. To add more open a new window, start your quote, then copy and paste it to your other response. Then you have 6 quotes in one post.

I have my post count set to 100 posts per page so the handlebar answers were on the same page. I thought it was easier to bump all the replies at once.

Tough crowd...

If you have any further questions fire away.

Also if you don't like my answer please ask to speak to one of the other voices in my head. It's less stressfull that way.

MentalGuru screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 06:21 AM
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #1634
JapanLemon
-

Oddometer: 10
Seeing those pictures, I really envy some of you guys for the trails you have! Nothing like that over here, 99% is tarmac And if there is a stretch of dirt road, it's usually not more than a few kilometers long.

Still, I ordered the AXP skidplate and will also get the FMF Q4.

On another note, an acquaintance of mine had his CRF 250 L modified by our local bike shop:

Not exactly an adventure bike anymore, but a CRF 250 L nevertheless

He has a Dirt-Bike for off-road courses and a Supermoto for track only, so this is actually his new street bike.

And for those interested, this is the shops blog post to the bike (in Japanese though): http://dunemota.exblog.jp/18260918/
JapanLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #1635
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Echo

Echo

Echo