Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #1651
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
What modification do you suspect caused the backfires you were getting?
Honestly, not sure. I definitely had them after I installed the exhaust/fuel programmer. They were mostly deceleration pops which could be caused by either, not really sure to be honest.. I did both at the same time. When I removed the charcoal canister and the air injection system the pops went away.
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #1652
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyrg View Post
Just installed the tidy tail on my bike......what a miracle its amazing
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5c4b5038.jpg
And plenty of bright. When I recived it at work today it had me worried with how small it was but.....
http://i1274.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0a043811.jpg
No worries and its got the flickering brake light thing to. Well worth it
Was it easy to install? Did you use the one fitted for the crf250l?
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #1653
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Has anyone tried dropping the forks in the triple clamps? I find the bike is a bit slow to turn for my liking.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #1654
Tommyrg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
Was it easy to install? Did you use the one fitted for the crf250l?
Yep very simple. Its not quite plug and play even though I used the crf250l model specific...but its just remove existing: unplug tail lamp and turning signals remove the 6 or 8 bolts that hold the contraption on cut wires splice, redo sevearl times crimp new fittings tuck wires and then bolt it back on with 2 hight quality bolts that are provided. If you do it note the two aluminum spaceers that push the bracket flush with the fender. Ive seen several bikes where it didnt look like the used them.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #1655
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
This forum has so much good information, but moves very quickly between subjects I'm not sure how to keep up. Every day I get on, it's another 2 pages down the road.
Love the info, just hard to try and find it when I need it. Maybe someone can group all the same subject posts together.
Keep it coming
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:47 AM   #1656
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
Yep... I did all the mods BDSB did except unplug the O2 sensor... I'd only try that if I had a wideband O2 sensor to verify readings before and after and see exactly what changed. I'm guessing on the relatively primitive fuel options we have available, the module is fighting against the O2 feedback loop. Something like a Power Commander V would be much better.

I did a search on he CBR250R (which shares the same engine as we all know) and found this link: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-p...-fi-light.html

It lists one of the error codes as having to do with the baro sensor, so it's possible we has one for altitude compensation.

I disconnected my air injection system as well as the charcoal canister, about the only thing it did was eliminate the backfires I was getting... also might have made it a little peppier/smoother at low rpm.
According to the Service Manual, there is a MAP sensor. Then if you have an EJK, unplugging the O2 sensor make sense, so the ECU ank EJK doesnt fight each other, if i understand well ...

The manual that comes with the EJK mention an "Oxygen Sensor Bypass- Optional (For models with OEM Oxygen Sensor)", but it's not included with the CRF250L Kit. So what ?

About pops at decceleration, mine does it also, and it's an european model without the chacoal canister.
Must be the air injection system that cause backfires, if no leaks on the exhaust line.

I will check all that this WE and give you a feedback

L
Old 12-21-2012, 04:18 AM   #1657
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Honestly, not sure. I definitely had them after I installed the exhaust/fuel programmer. They were mostly deceleration pops which could be caused by either, not really sure to be honest.. I did both at the same time. When I removed the charcoal canister and the air injection system the pops went away.
This is very common on bikes where some part of the induction system (usually opening up the air cleaner) and all the items involved are related. But to be brief, it's what's known as closed throttle lean condition. Your going along and close the throttle, the air injection pumps extra air into the exhaust to burn the unburnt gas. But their really isn't any to burn. So it builds up, THEN it burns all at once. POP! backfire time. Removing the air injection eliminates the air required to burn the unburnt gas in the exhaust so therefore, backfiring stops.

You eliminated the symptom, not the problem. The programmer needs to richen up the mixture a bit in those situations.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #1658
tmaxx222
XR Rider

Oddometer: 4
Suspension

How would you CRF250L owners rate the suspension for offroading? I'm interested to know how it handles desert whoops and sandy terrain. There have been a few review videos posted that took the bike in Southern Cali riding areas but only commented on how well it handles streets and on fire roads. Anyone take it to Johnson valley or Red Mountain?

How fast can you comfortable go through whoops on it compared to any of the dirt only 250cc bikes, drz400 or wr250r? I'm not looking to race the thing but am interested to know if I could keep up with friends who ride dedicated dirt bikes at a cruising speed.
tmaxx222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #1659
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
According to the Service Manual, there is a MAP sensor. Then if you have an EJK, unplugging the O2 sensor make sense, so the ECU ank EJK doesnt fight each other, if i understand well ...

The manual that comes with the EJK mention an "Oxygen Sensor Bypass- Optional (For models with OEM Oxygen Sensor)", but it's not included with the CRF250L Kit. So what ?

About pops at decceleration, mine does it also, and it's an european model without the chacoal canister.
Must be the air injection system that cause backfires, if no leaks on the exhaust line.

L
Pops on decel deff air injection system most people with wr250r have done an AIS removal kit for this reason.
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #1660
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
AXP Racing Skid Plates

OK, after a few quick back and forth messages with AXP in France, the word seems to be that they will have their skid plate out in March via Moose. Also, if anyone wants one and can't wait they can send you one but payment is via wire transfer and I didn't get a price. I am either going to get one when they are released here or if there is a group order we can put together for anyone interested here in the US I am game.

There was immediate responses to my questions from the gentleman I was in touch with. Truly a pleasure to have business correspondence with. Hit me up on a PM or start making a list on here if there if interested and we can see if we can put something together.

http://en.axp-racing.com/n-777/Phd-E...77-AX1231.html

Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1661
Guerillah
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post

L
Do you have an exhaust or fuel programmer?
Guerillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1662
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Best Dual Sports Stage 1 kit

Here is a video for sound and a couple pictures.. i started a thread just so I wouldnt post a ton of pictures in here and take up alot of space the link for that is here:

BDSB Stage 1 thread I started

goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #1663
RonZacapa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
What a great little bike! After 640 miles and the first service I am more than happy with my 250L. As I have a XR650L which is faster, bigger, higher, more suspension etc. I'm happy to leave well enough alone and keep the 250L without throwing much money at mods and farkles. Maybe a tailrack then to carry the extra 5 liters of gas. If this is your only bike I understand that the BDSB kit may well be worth investing in....
I still cruise comfy at an indicated 65-75 mph, winding it up and conditions permitting it will get up to just short of 90 indicated. Thats ok for me, if I want to go faster I jump on the XR. Service costs here in South Africa for the 1000K/600Mile service are around 75 USD.
RonZacapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #1664
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Do you have an exhaust or fuel programmer?
Yes, an Electronic Jet Kit, or Dobeck's EJK : this is the same that comes with the BDSB's stage 1, I suppose, but bought at CRF's Only.
My settings are 3 / 2.5 / 5 / 4.5 / 4 / 4.5. Suggested settings, but leaned and lowered a bit since i corcked the muffler.

Exhaust line is MegaBomb / Q4, restricted with an home made dbDAWG.
Cruise noise is now quiet, but roars well on acceleration.
Good compromise for me between noise, look, weight and perfs.

That's cool !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

L
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #1665
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
A friend of mine runs a place called Rider's Corner in Chiang Mai Thailand. He just did a gonzo trip on his CRF250L north out of Laos into the edge of Vietnam. So radical he ended up sleeping on the trail. Some good feedback on the LRP from someone who currently owns more bikes than most will in a lifetime. Good read;

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...er-finger.html