Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2221
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Glad our LRP is running good, a man or a woman could go crazy trying to figure this out.

Fixed.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #2222
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,686
Here's a nice video which demonstrates some good, general tips for changing the drive chain and both sprockets. In particular, note the good information starting at the 4:29 time mark regarding the correct way to loosen and tighten the rear sprocket bolts for the CRF250L.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #2223
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Glad our LRP is running good, a woman could go crazy trying to figure this out.

Fixed.
+1

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #2224
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Spud, great post

+1 This showed how removing the bolts, while just holding the allen in place works better. I think Ramz said 20/20 hindsight, this would have worked better. Some of us like to do this stuff our on our own, and get a better understanding of what is going on with our bikes, in case "stuff" happens miles away from where anybody can help. I am thinking of doing the 13/42 like Sugardust has, and while I'm at it, do the Tubliss conversion. Still hopes of actually riding here, I would rather do the conversion and check the air pressure, then wait 24 hours and check again, before slapping the wheels back on. If I get 3 days where I can't ride, that would probably be the time. I only did that once to fix a flat, put it all back together, then it's flat the next day. You get better at stuff the 2nd time around, live and learn.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 02:00 PM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #2225
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Sprocket change

Yeah, that was a good video. Just how much force is required to break loose the nut on the back of the sprocket bolts on a 250L? Do I need to hire a gorilla or if done properly by two people like in the video, can it be done with standard tools (no cheater bars, pipes over wrenches, etc.)? I wouldn't mind a 42T rear sprocket, but some of the horror stories about rear sprocket removal on here have kinda steered me clear of it so far.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #2226
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Rear sprocket removal was pretty easy. Like 10 min including wheel removal!

Not sure if the photos uploaded but a socket wrench with Allen key attachment in on hand and wrench in other.
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #2227
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
Yeah, that was a good video. Just how much force is required to break loose the nut on the back of the sprocket bolts on a 250L? Do I need to hire a gorilla or if done properly by two people like in the video, can it be done with standard tools (no cheater bars, pipes over wrenches, etc.)? I wouldn't mind a 42T rear sprocket, but some of the horror stories about rear sprocket removal on here have kinda steered me clear of it so far.

you can do it without a cheater bar - I did it, and while i was one who had a a problem with the rear sprocket bolts, my dealer took them out for cheap, then I just replaced them all with XR650L bolts (at the time you couldn't get the rear bolts you probably can now)

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #2228
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,686
Quote:
Rear sprocket removal is a one-man operation for my Honda XR650L. However, I don't know how tightly Honda is torquing the rear sprocket bolts on the CRF250L. Even if the first sprocket removal is difficult, you shouldn't have further problems if you follow the proper technique demonstrated in the video. I use a short, T-handle, Allen wrench and a short, box end wrench to perform the procedure. You don't need to torque the bolts very tight; just snug them up, as demonstrated in the video.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #2229
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Rear Sprocket

OK, thanks for the encouragement JR, Sugardust and Spud Rider! What rear sprockets are you folks using....I've seen the one's from Sprocket Center....JT's and Superlite. The Superlite 42T looks interesting. Also, CRF's Only has rear sprockets in 42T listed as well but don't state what brand it is. I assume it looks like the one in the picture?

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/4743

Also, refresh my memory that the stock chain works with a 13/42 setup and no other mods to the chain guides, etc., right??
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #2230
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Rear sprocket removal is a one-man operation for my Honda XR650L. However, I don't know how tightly Honda is torquing the rear sprocket bolts on the CRF250L.
Spud
Mine were torqued as hell, but i was warned.
I did it alone as follow : unlocked all the nuts when the wheel still in place with my foot, standing all my weight on the 17mm ring wrench. 1st gear should be engaged to prevent wheel spinning, too.

L
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #2231
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Oil Filter

Anyone know which K&N oil filter this bike takes..? I've seen some say KN-111 and others KN-112.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #2232
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35

Hopefully this works, first time posting pics. I've been wanting to install my Emperor Racing skid plate but it has been really cold out. Today I figured the hell with it I've been waiting long enough, time to get it on. Install went well. Front and back use brackets to mount the plate to so it takes a little bit of time getting it lined up properly. Other than that everything looks good, should provide decent protection.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #2233
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Quote:
OK, thanks for the encouragement JR, Sugardust and Spud Rider! What rear sprockets are you folks using....I've seen the one's from Sprocket Center....JT's and Superlite. The Superlite 42T looks interesting. Also, CRF's Only has rear sprockets in 42T listed as well but don't state what brand it is. I assume it looks like the one in the picture?

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/4743

Also, refresh my memory that the stock chain works with a 13/42 setup and no other mods to the chain guides, etc., right??
I got the 42 PBI sprocket from CRFs Only, its Aluminum and slightly lighter than the stock. I used the stock bolts and got a 13 up front. Haven't tried it out yet because its been raining here. 13 alone was a huge help on steep trails, excited to see how the 42 performs.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #2234
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Emperor skid plate looks nice, I like how the coverage goes between the down tubes. Looks light as well. i have The ricochet plate and found that leaves a gap there so it constantly picks up mud and leaves off the trail.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #2235
Jinksy
- Jinksy

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNASTY View Post
Rear sprocket removal was pretty easy. Like 10 min including wheel removal!

Not sure if the photos uploaded but a socket wrench with Allen key attachment in on hand and wrench in other.
What are you doing to the bike?
Jinksy is offline   Reply With Quote