Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM   #2296
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Throttle stop

Lost Rider:

Yes, I saw that throttle stop screw when I was fiddling with the air cleaner on my new CRF. Has anyone fiddled with it to eliminate stalling? Reason why I thought of this is my son's mazda 3 at 40,000 miles has developed an unstable in-gear idle...and the recognized fix for it is to clean oil and dirt from the throttle body (introduced by the PCV), then make the computer "re-learn" the closed throttle position, by disconnecting the negative post of the battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect it. Would seem the CRF's ECU probably has some "learning" capabilities.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #2297
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
I just think that is awesome how it can bend that much. The one thing I noticed right off the get go was the lack of protection on the radiator. I'm new to motorcycling in general and was kinda surprised it didn't have protection. Then I looked at other bikes and they were much the same. It certainly gives me more confidence in that area. I am gonna wait until some more info comes out on which radiator protection has been tested best and go that route I think.

Do you think those ones @ motorcycle radiators will do without protection? I am certainly not an aggressive rider anyway. But i do want to "harden" any soft spots just for insurances. I already ripped off one rear turn signal on a tree going through some tighter single track in the mud. So I ordered something to remove the long turn signals and bring them into the taillight. We'll see how that works.
Nope, the stout radiators will still crush. I had a radiator protector that had 6 aluminum rods that went crosswise of the radiator that transferred the "crush" to the frame of the bike. VERY stout....very heavy...but, it never crashed as i sold it, and the guy who made them went out of business. The nicest radiator protectors I've seen so far are the flatland racing ones
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #2298
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Yes Goondock...the tinkering is great fun, but the real PITA is when the UPS truck comes with goodies for the bike....and the wife asks "what did you buy now?" BUT, she at least knows that if I'm in the garage with the bike, I'm not in the bar with a floozie!
Hmmmmm, bike or wife, seems like you can have both, and both are keepers. Watch out, the LRP may become "her bike".

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #2299
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Hmmmmm, bike or wife, seems like you can have both, and both are keepers. Watch out, the LRP may become "her bike".
She has the CRF's grandfather...a 1979 XR185.....and it's shorter and lighter...but...alas...no e-start
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #2300
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Nope, the stout radiators will still crush. I had a radiator protector that had 6 aluminum rods that went crosswise of the radiator that transferred the "crush" to the frame of the bike. VERY stout....very heavy...but, it never crashed as i sold it, and the guy who made them went out of business. The nicest radiator protectors I've seen so far are the flatland racing ones
Yeah I saw the flatlands racing one and like the pictures anyway. But since I don't have any real experience with these, I'm gonna wait for a post crash review. Hahahaha
Old 01-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #2301
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
She has the CRF's grandfather...a 1979 XR185.....and it's shorter and lighter...but...alas...no e-start
Had a SL125 (a used 71), could go through tight stuff faster than with a 250 SDR I moved up to. I think I sold it for the same price I paid for it, as was done with many bikes back then. Yes, kicking isn't fun, but if it's a Honda, I'll bet it doesn't take too many to get it running. Too bad it isn't "primary", you have to find neutral before kicking, never a problem back then, because it wasn't available.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #2302
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you let her ride the LRP, you'll never get it back. Now that you are "back down" to a 250, you can check out the minimalist thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...01349&page=394

SAPB screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 12:01 PM
Old 01-18-2013, 12:00 PM   #2303
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Ed@Ford, I guess we just have hit that ripe old age and it's just fun to easy back and enjoy life. I too looked at the WR, but decided I would never ride it to its potential.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #2304
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Ed@Ford, I guess we just have hit that ripe old age and it's just fun to easy back and enjoy life. I too looked at the WR, but decided I would never ride it to its potential.

John
I sat on one, was put off by the seat height, I'm 5' 9", and can nearly flat foot both on the CRF.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #2305
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Funny story, a guy riding a WR250 came by to see me last week and look at my CRF250L. He was about your height (5'9") and when he left my house he pushed his WR over to a big rock by the driveway so he could get on. I chuckled to myself and wondered if he always needed to find a rock to get on, I thought you just used the footpeg.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #2306
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Funny story, a guy riding a WR250 came by to see me last week and look at my CRF250L. He was about your height (5'9") and when he left my house he pushed his WR over to a big rock by the driveway so he could get on. I chuckled to myself and wondered if he always needed to find a rock to get on, I thought you just used the footpeg.

John
Yeah, I know all that suspension travel is really nice running over roots, and stuff, but I need to stop once in a while. Sat on a Husqvarna at the motorcycle show @ the Javits center 3 year ago, and couldn't believe how high it was. At the time, it was slim pickings for dual sports. Wanting to let my daughter take my CRF for a ride, but if she does, it's going to have to be off road, where she can ride out, then back where we can "catch" her. She's 5' even, and has an ER-6n lowered, and seat shaved, which she's OK on with the added height of boots.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #2307
JRaye89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Does anybody know where i can find white plastics or the silver seat that comes on the overseas model?
Thanks
JRaye89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #2308
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Dampers

anybody have any thoughts on Dampers ?
installation pic's here
the sub mount on the CRF250R looks better but I don't think its offered for the CRF250L
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #2309
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,148
Oh good they're finally out!

Best all around performance upgrade a person can do IMHO.

From much better on-road handling, less head shake, etc to dirtier adventures where hitting rocks, ruts, logs, sand, riding on loose gravel, etc a damper WILL make a noticeable different for any rider and help reduce fatigue. A damper has undoubtably saved me countless times on other bikes, and can't wait for Nancy to feel the improvement.

Too bad our winter budget is totally blown already, going to another bike of ours that got sick pretty bad and had to get fixed up.

ASAP I will be getting one for the LRP. Scotts told me I'll still be able to run the ROX risers/bar adaptors with a ProTaper and HDB guards above the damper with their setup.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #2310
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Otherwise, riding a decently modded, more modern DS bike of certain models allow great trips out west in the mountains and deserts with almost guaranteed reliability and durability over many years with most service concerns involving oil changes, the occasional valve clearance check, and replacing worn tires.[/QUOTE]

TNC, I lurked on the KLX forum, and saw you did the Tubliss conversion. I have both front and rear here, waiting for the weather to be too bad for riding, before bringing the wheels in the house for conversion. Any tips that you would like to share would be much appreciated, one guy (not sure which tread) said he sloshed the crap out of it with tire conditioner, and did it all by hand, to avoid pinching the inner tube. Thinking to do it, check the pressure, then wait overnight, check pressure again before slapping the wheels back on. The video on the Tubliss site is pretty informative. Slime both inner, and in the tire? Thanks.

SAPB screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 01:26 PM