Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #2371
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
LOL, nice to know were on the same page though.

I use one just like I posted on my Husa to accommodate the HDB integrated LED signals, I haven't used it on the LRP but it should work just the same.

I dropped off the twisted radiator at OK Radiator in Oxnard, CA Friday Morning, picked it up that afternoon and $40 later we have a much straighter radiator. Though after the fix the mount points for the fan didn't quite line up, nothing a couple zip-ties can't fix.

Looks like a Flatland Rad guard is in order, I doubt the repaired radiator will take the same abuse again without causing leaks.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #2372
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
LOL, nice to know were on the same page though.

I use one just like I posted on my Husa to accommodate the HDB integrated LED signals, I haven't used it on the LRP but it should work just the same.

I dropped off the twisted radiator at OK Radiator in Oxnard, CA Friday Morning, picked it up that afternoon and $40 later we have a much straighter radiator. Though after the fix the mount points for the fan didn't quite line up, nothing a couple zip-ties can't fix.

Looks like a Flatland Rad guard is in order, I doubt the repaired radiator will take the same abuse again without causing leaks.

Crazy how they bent it back. Is that epoxy or something down in the corner? You surely saved some money on that one.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #2373
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
NICE!!!! That is what I want more than anything. I noticed that right away standing up the first time I was offroad. It was very much an awkward position to be in. Yeah I thought those were the ones as they looked different than the Zeta ones. Did you have to do and bending or anything else on the protectors?

Perfect! I had thought about that as well. I figured they would either have no bolts or several sets of different sizes.
Had to bend the zeta guards slightly in retrospect just cranking down the bolts prob would have pulled everything into position either way it was very easy
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #2374
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyBlackIrish View Post
Crazy how they bent it back. Is that epoxy or something down in the corner? You surely saved some money on that one.
Yes, it developed a leak after they straightened it and use some super duper epoxy to seal it. The guy at OK Radiator is a bike racer and stands behind his repair to be durable, but with that said I just ordered a Flatlands guard to help strengthen it up as I'm sure that perfect big rock in the perfect spot will jump out suddenly again.

http://soloracer.com/crf250lparts.html

LostRider.com
Old 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #2375
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Radiator

Lost Rider:

Make sure you carry some radiator sealer in case it pops some pinhole leaks. There are numerous brands at the auto parts store. One we have here in MI is Bars Leak....it looks like molasses with little rabbit pellets in it, the other is silvaseal, which is very fine aluminum dust. The "mollasses" is a water soluble water pump lube. The container is obviously for a car sized radiator, so adjust the quantity appropriately for the tiny bike radiator. A one ounce(liquid) container of the silva seal would do, and of course always have full camelbak or similar drink systems. I've heard stories of guys filling leaks with pepper from a restaurant, or egg whites. I know the two products I mention work....I owned a water cooled DRZ Suzuki!!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #2376
Lost Rider
Roadie

Good suggestion Ed, will ad that to my list. I always carry JB weld on the trail, but knowing we have a less than perfect radiator it can't hurt to be very well prepared, especially where we ride. Hopefully the Flatland guard will be robust enough and be Nancy proof.

Congrats on finally getting your own LRP!

LostRider.com
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #2377
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9...N6b2RwUEE/edit

Here are the pics of the bike, with handguard and risers, John

trainman screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 09:25 AM
trainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #2378
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
oops...no pix...don't feel bad, I haven't been able to attach pix anymore since they changed their "process"
Old 01-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #2379
KinkyWinks
El Gringo Perdido

Oddometer: 66
Have any of you seen any Long Distance Ride Reports on the "L"? I am tempted to buy one but have been a bit put off by the fuel capacity and am wondering if it can do 300 to 500 miles per day for a few weeks at a time. I did have a 08' KLR650 but only rode it about 4,000 miles. It was one that used oil so I got rid of it. Went back to my Goldwing but I'm getting the urge to go south. I have owned a few Honda Rebels over the years and have often thought they would work well if you could get a bit more distance between the seat and the handlebars and another gallon of gas. They get 80 mpg and are about as dependable as it gets.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #2380
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinkyWinks View Post
Have any of you seen any Long Distance Ride Reports on the "L"? I am tempted to buy one but have been a bit put off by the fuel capacity and am wondering if it can do 300 to 500 miles per day for a few weeks at a time. I did have a 08' KLR650 but only rode it about 4,000 miles. It was one that used oil so I got rid of it. Went back to my Goldwing but I'm getting the urge to go south. I have owned a few Honda Rebels over the years and have often thought they would work well if you could get a bit more distance between the seat and the handlebars and another gallon of gas. They get 80 mpg and are about as dependable as it gets.
I put on about 250 in a day once. 80% hardball and the rest logging roads with a tiny bit of single. Only thing that suffered was the ass and my knees but the knees have been shot since the Corps so... I usually go between 100 and 130 between fill ups and that puts me on the last bar on the gauge. Usually only put in 1.2-1.8 gallons. Seems to drop off quite a bit when I do mostly offroad but can still run most of a day when my buddy has to go back a refuel his crf250r a bunch. Hope that helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #2381
KinkyWinks
El Gringo Perdido

Oddometer: 66
Yep!, the 100 to 130 mile between fill ups is kind of what I thought. The plastic and seat on the bike won't really let you use just any old tank either. Maybe I better take another look at how to stretch a Rebel. Due to limited fixed income my choices will have to stay under 6K and I want as new a machine as I can get.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #2382
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B9...N6b2RwUEE/edit

Trainman: 1 1/4" risers?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #2383
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
The risers are whatever 30mm equals, that's 1.1811 inches,

John
trainman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM   #2384
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The risers are whatever 30mm equals, that's 1.1811 inches,

John
Thanks
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #2385
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 43
Hi Trainman,

I found the exact handguards on ebay in a "nearly new" condition for $30. I 'm curious how you handled the throttle tube. Did you cut the end off or drill it out?

Thanks!
2013 CRF 250L
2014 BMW GSW
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote