User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #2476
gaw777
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Radiator guard

I have looked at both the Flatland Racing guards and Emperor radiator guard. Ramz installed the Emperor guard with some needed "adjustment".
Any thoughts on which one does a better job of protection?
Thanks
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #2477
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilerd View Post
Why do I insist on buying bikes in Dec, Jan, Feb!!? I had to buy this wonderful CRF about 1.5 weeks ago, about the exact time the winter went from the warmest ever here in Virginia, to normal. Coworkers and fellow riders are pissed I picked up a bike after being bike free for several months cuz they know I changed the weather! Amazing! I'm still psyched about this awesome bike. Way heavier than the husky 510 I just sold, but somehow feels lighter in the handling. I just dont get it. What a great well balanced bike. I look forward to some metal bark busters, engine guards, smash plate, carry rack, and some of those boot handlebar thingys. I cant figure out what those are called, so they are hard to find. I will find a way to ride in to work in this weather!
Gilerd, you are so right!! I stopped into the Honda dealer in Sept. to look at the bike but the first one they had was sold, waiting on another. Late Nov. I stop back and owner says "I can't believe we still have the 2nd one we got in." Sat on the bike and told hime I was looking to buy in the spring unless I got a substantial discount. Took my name and number, A week later he called late and said that 2 more were on the way in and he was ready to deal. Next day I went to see him and drove home with the bike. Between family and work I have only put a little over 300 miles on and am frustrated beyond belief. I think if I ever buy a new bike in the off season I will store it at a buddy's with no access to it. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #2478
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I completely removed the chain guide slipper on my XR650L. The chain guide slipper is installed to prevent the drive chain from leaving the rear sprocket. My XR650L has greater suspension travel than the CRF250L; however, I have been riding the last 16,000 miles without any drive chain problems. Nevertheless, a more "spirited" rider might derail the drive chain if he removed the chain guide slipper.

I also removed the chain guard, since I don't carry passengers on my bike. Drive chain maintenance and rear wheel maintenance are much easier after the chain guard and the chain guide slipper have been removed.

Spud
I was able to get the drive chain to leave the sprocket on an SL-125 by attempting to get over a laid down telephone pole (on the 3rd attempt), years ago. Learned by experience that the way to align the rear wheel isn't with the "index marks", but to get the bike level, rear wheel off the ground, take off the chain guard, and look down the top of the chain to see if it is "straight". If the axle is off kilter, you will be helping to enable the chain to come off more easily. Lot's of posts, it seems the number is reversely proportional to the outside temperature (9 F here). Yeah, buy a bike, the weather tanks.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2479
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
For the price you can't beat the 250L. That being said I saved over 2000 dollars buying this vs a WR250R. I plan to build something a lot better for the same price. That is my thoughts regarding the $$ for the rear shock. You might try the company that modifies the crf230 shocks, hiebo?
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #2480
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
For the price you can't beat the 250L. That being said I saved over 2000 dollars buying this vs a WR250R. I plan to build something a lot better for the same price. That is my thoughts regarding the $$ for the rear shock. You might try the company that modifies the crf230 shocks, hiebo?
Also consider Cogent Dynamics in NC. Rick had my OEM shock for baseline testing prior to building a custom unit. His conclusion was that the shock can be opened and revalved. Call for details.
Disclaimer: not affiliated, just a happy customer.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #2481
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
For the price you can't beat the 250L. That being said I saved over 2000 dollars buying this vs a WR250R. I plan to build something a lot better for the same price.
My exact same thoughts. For the same money you can have a tricked out custom machine !!!
I think I am going to shell out the cash for the Race Tech rear shock and a Scotts damper combined with Rox risers and HDB bar setup. 13/45 sprockets FMF full exhaust with programmer.

For me ... that will be a perfect fit.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #2482
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
I have looked at both the Flatland Racing guards and Emperor radiator guard. Ramz installed the Emperor guard with some needed "adjustment".
Any thoughts on which one does a better job of protection?
Thanks

I just purchased the the Flatlands because it's a one piece design and I think it will provide the best protection for what's available now. But for now that's just speculation as the UPS guy still has it, like many other peoples comments around here on things they haven't actually used or tested. Too much talking, not enough riding... normal for winter time on ADV I guess.... We will be testing it undoubtably and I will share how it does in the near future.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #2483
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgart View Post
I have a pair of Hippo Hands on my '05 Bonnie, and it means that I can ride in the teens or rain with much less worry that I will get to my destination with all digits intact! Go to http://www.hippohands.com/ Quality is great and turn-around time was very quick.

Cheers,
Art
Thanks for the tip! I would have Never figured that out! Most everyone that rides at my work do Not ride the winter, so no help there.
Gilerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #2484
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
Gilerd, you are so right!! I stopped into the Honda dealer in Sept. to look at the bike but the first one they had was sold, waiting on another. Late Nov. I stop back and owner says "I can't believe we still have the 2nd one we got in." Sat on the bike and told hime I was looking to buy in the spring unless I got a substantial discount. Took my name and number, A week later he called late and said that 2 more were on the way in and he was ready to deal. Next day I went to see him and drove home with the bike. Between family and work I have only put a little over 300 miles on and am frustrated beyond belief. I think if I ever buy a new bike in the off season I will store it at a buddy's with no access to it. Bill C
Sounds about right. I went into the big dealer thinking "hey its the middle of january! i should be able to get some free bark busters or something right!" Wrong. People lined up to buy the thing and it didnt help that it was...yes thats right 70 degrees that weekend! We got one! Gone. We got one! Gone. I somehow got one jusssst before the Big Freeze set in this month. Ugh. Well I'll look into the hippohands and other stuff. I'd like to veer away from the flashy fair weather "riding" days of my past. it's a dual sport for crying out loud. Who cares about piles of road salt, mud, etc! it is torture seeing the thing sit there. Love that bright headlight and sharp looks.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #2485
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I too would like to see how the Flatlands radiator guards works out, looks like from their website that the guard goes back to the frame, but does not have a mounting bracket from the guard to the frame, what are you suppose to use, a plastic tie. Plus I still need a skid plate, looks like the Flatlands is the nicest one out their, but just waiting for others to respond about it.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #2486
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer

Anybody try these yet?
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/...ine_guard.html
Would these be worth the extra cost over something like this
http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/4907

Thanks for any perspective
Old 01-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #2487
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilerd View Post
Sounds about right. I went into the big dealer thinking "hey its the middle of january! i should be able to get some free bark busters or something right!" Wrong. People lined up to buy the thing and it didnt help that it was...yes thats right 70 degrees that weekend! We got one! Gone. We got one! Gone. I somehow got one jusssst before the Big Freeze set in this month. Ugh. Well I'll look into the hippohands and other stuff. I'd like to veer away from the flashy fair weather "riding" days of my past. it's a dual sport for crying out loud. Who cares about piles of road salt, mud, etc! it is torture seeing the thing sit there. Love that bright headlight and sharp looks.
Pay attention on runabouts when freezing ..

Dont ask me how i know that

L
Old 01-23-2013, 10:21 AM   #2488
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I just purchased the the Flatlands because it's a one piece design and I think it will provide the best protection for what's available now. But for now that's just speculation as the UPS guy still has it, like many other peoples comments around here on things they haven't actually used or tested. Too much talking, not enough riding... normal for winter time on ADV I guess.... We will be testing it undoubtably and I will share how it does in the near future.

If it can hold up on your LRP I doubt any of us could break it. That's some tuff terrain you have there.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #2489
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
If it can hold up on your LRP I doubt any of us could break it. That's some tuff terrain you have there.

...or Nancy has lost his sidestand ?

L
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #2490
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post

Well thank you, I guess.

Yeah, we have plenty of rocks that always seem to be just in the right(wrong) place out here in Cali. Most of the drops occur in rock gardens when nancy has nowhere to put her feet to catch herself. She getting much better at not trying to stop though when the going gets rough.
I hope the Flatlands will take the hits, shouldn't be long for some real testing to occur.

Two for one. lol

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote