ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #2611
gaw777
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cali
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
Did anyone get the seat concepts low seat yet? I'm wondering if it actually makes it lower or does it push your legs out wider and actually makes the bike seem taller. I'm short lol
Do not have the low seat, but have about 3000 miles on my seatconcept's seat on my ktm.
Probably the best upgrade I made to the bike.

Personally, I will go back with the seatconcepts seat for the LRP. Can't really see spending the extra on the Corbin. I'll use the extra $$ to get something else for the bike.

But I say go with what you want to go with, it's all a personal choice. Can't see that there is any "wrong" way to go on this bike, just depends on what you want.

That's what I have liked about this thread, everyone is doing what they want and sharing their experiences.

I say go for it! Get what you want
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #2612
Gilerd
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gilerd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Row-Noke, Virginia
Oddometer: 137
Laugh Near Future Air Horn Guinea Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Tinkering with it will get you there. I think one guy said he had a collection of the cheap wrenches that come with routers, lawnmowers, ect. that he bent and drilled holes in as a mounting bracket. I was able to use the original bracket upside down, and bend it a little for my install on the other bike. I think it's also possible to separate it, and use a hose if it's too tight. You be the "guinea pig", and show us how it's done. Just don't test it in the garage.
I'll figure out the noticeable sound issue (horn) for those of us sticking with the stock stealthy exhaust. It's high on my list. I have an airzound air horn on my mountain bike rated at 115db with an 80 psi air tank and it Really comes in handy, especially downtown with the tight buildings! I'd like to get the CRF just past that level, without having to use a hand floorpump to refill the tank. I'll post up once results are in folks.
Gilerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #2613
foxbrook
Adventurer
 
foxbrook's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Canada
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaw777 View Post
Do not have the low seat, but have about 3000 miles on my seatconcept's seat on my ktm.
Probably the best upgrade I made to the bike.

Personally, I will go back with the seatconcepts seat for the LRP. Can't really see spending the extra on the Corbin. I'll use the extra $$ to get something else for the bike.

But I say go with what you want to go with, it's all a personal choice. Can't see that there is any "wrong" way to go on this bike, just depends on what you want.

That's what I have liked about this thread, everyone is doing what they want and sharing their experiences.

I say go for it! Get what you want
thanks for your opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about these seats and my only concern is if it makes the bike feel higher. I have a kouba lowering link installed and I don't want to end up making it higher, would kind of defeat the purpose of the link. I don't "mind" the stock seat really, would be nice to be a little more comfy on the arse though.
__________________
2013 CRF250L
1985 Yamaha (XJ750) Maxim "X"

foxbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #2614
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
thanks for your opinion. I've heard nothing but good things about these seats and my only concern is if it makes the bike feel higher. I have a kouba lowering link installed and I don't want to end up making it higher, would kind of defeat the purpose of the link. I don't "mind" the stock seat really, would be nice to be a little more comfy on the arse though.
I'm fine with my seat for now. My daughter had her seat shaved by a local upholsterer that the dealership knew of. He rides too, so had a good understanding of bikes, too. He correctly stated that a wide seat would push your legs out, making it more difficult to get your feet down. Check your local area, I'm sure someone would love the business, and "word of mouth" advertising. I think he charged $50.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #2615
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Dearborn MI
Oddometer: 1,583
GAW77

Holy cow...someone that ADMITS to going FROM the "orange god KTM", to the "lowly" CRF Honda!

Welcome to the brother(& sister)hood of the LRP!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #2616
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 397
Subject, Oil Leak

Well the weather finally got to where I could put some miles on the bike for the first time (72 miles now) and of course when I got back from about a 60 miles ride I looked the bike over. Well there is a oil leak coming from under the sprocket cover, I removed the cover and looks like it is coming from the back side where the oil seal is behind the sprocket. My chain has oil on it to, I would say that the sprocket is spinning the oil down and on the chain. Has anyone else had this problem on their bike, I guess the fix is to replace the oil seal, any other ideas on this. I have never had a bike leak oil here, I do know that on some bikes the sprocket tension can cause the oil seal to leak, but this is not that type of sprocket or is it. One other question, do oil seals seat themselves, or do they either leak or don't.

John

trainman screwed with this post 01-26-2013 at 08:20 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #2617
gaw777
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Cali
Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
GAW77

Holy cow...someone that ADMITS to going FROM the "orange god KTM", to the "lowly" CRF Honda!

Welcome to the brother(& sister)hood of the LRP!
Shhhhhhhhh....don't tell anyone I still have the KTM.....but the LRP is way better in the tight stuff
gaw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 AM   #2618
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Subject, Oil Leak

Well the weather finally got to where I could put some miles on the bike for the first time (72 miles now) and of course when I got back from about a 60 miles ride I looked the bike over. Well there is a oil leak coming from under the sprocket cover, I removed the cover and looks like it is coming from the back side where the oil seal is behind the sprocket. My chain has oil on it to, I would say that the sprocket is spinning the oil down and on the chain. Has anyone else had this problem on their bike, I guess the fix is to replace the oil seal, any other ideas on this. I have never had a bike leak oil here, I do know that on some bikes the sprocket tension can cause the oil seal to leak, but this is not that type of sprocket or is it. One other question, do oil seals seat themselves, or do they either leak or don't.

John
Way back in this thread, someone mentioned it, but turned out to just be chain lube spinning off. Not sure if this could be the case with yours. Can you wipe it off really well, then take a short ride with the cover off to see?
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #2619
'Flagger
..this space for rent..
 
'Flagger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 2,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Way back in this thread, someone mentioned it, but turned out to just be chain lube spinning off. Not sure if this could be the case with yours. Can you wipe it off really well, then take a short ride with the cover off to see?
On overly oiled chain was my experience, also. I cleaned everything and rode it.

Didn't think about it anymore.
__________________
- B

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #2620
outdoornate65
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 66
I got my bike in late Nov so haven't been up in the hills yet. Think the FI is just the ticket for all the varied elevations out here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2live View Post
I have read all the pages of this thread, took a while. Lots of really high quality info in here and I thank everyone for sharing their info.

I live at 5,600' elevation and the fun riding is all uphill, as much as another mile above me. Any folks here at altitude? How is this bike performing, at say, 8,000 - 10,000'? I realize that the altitude folks in the northern half of the planet are mostly snowed in...

I had an '07 250KLX - jetted for "altitude", it was pretty much a dog when I got it up in that 8K-10K height.

And, anybody have one of these bad boys, here on the Colorado Front Range?
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #2621
outdoornate65
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Front Range, CO
Oddometer: 66
I installed mine last week. Seems a "touch" lower. Like the black fabric.
I'm short too....5' 9" with 30" inseam. Balls of my feet are on the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbrook View Post
Did anyone get the seat concepts low seat yet? I'm wondering if it actually makes it lower or does it push your legs out wider and actually makes the bike seem taller. I'm short lol
outdoornate65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #2622
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Out and about.
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoornate65 View Post
I got my bike in late Nov so haven't been up in the hills yet. Think the FI is just the ticket for all the varied elevations out here.

The FI should work great at varied altitudes(if programed correctly by Honda).

Power is a different story. FI can't make up for the power loss as the altitude increases. It just elimates the need to rejet...


__________________
xladv.com
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2623
tilliejacques
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tilliejacques's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2live View Post
Any folks here at altitude? How is this bike performing, at say, 8,000 - 10,000'? I realize that the altitude folks in the northern half of the planet are mostly snowed in...
We live at 8300' and the FI is the big reason that I got the 250L. My 230L is jetted for this altitude but still bogged very badly above 9000'.

I've only had one ride so far from home up to 8500-8600 on a FS road so not too challenging but the bike was great, very snappy. The higher trails were all snowed in by then.

But in April we're going to Big Bend and no re-jetting yay!

Please note I don't ride "attack mode" so don't know how much I would notice the HP loss.

cheers
__________________
11 Husky TE250
08 Beta Rev3 125
tilliejacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #2624
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
trainman's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Oddometer: 397
The chain when new didn't appear to have any additives on it other then the way the chain came new. The chain is now oily, so that's what makes me think that it's coming from behind the sprocket and throwing it on the chain, I will re-ride the bike as soon as the weather warms up again in two or three days.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #2625
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer
 
gnath9's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Omaha, Ne
Oddometer: 264
I think both the Corbin and the Seat Concepts are only wider when you sit back a little for road use and remain narrow towards the front for dirt riding. I would think you would have to scoot up in the seat when stopping as it is true the wider the saddle the less reach you will have. When I ordered the Corbin I had to tell them my height and weight. In my confirmation email they did state 34 inch seat height not sure what stock is. I have had experience with Mustang and Corbin seats on street bikes and they made all the difference in the world. I am not sure what the benefit will be if a person only rode dirt.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015