User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #256
Lars1974
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Hi all,

Today I had a chance to try out the CRF250L and i was waiting to see how it fares compared to my XR400.
First comment is: I am impressed!!!

Yes its not as powerfule as the XR, but it handled the very wet lanes with ease. On road handling is fine and the tyres work ok. 6 speed box is light and precise but needs working hard if speed is what you are after....however it pulls fine away from lights and 50mph comes up quickly. 60mph is no problem as well. After that it takes time to get faster.

Here is a picture before i headed out into the lanes...nice and clean!

Than it was time for a short run on the local byways. The biggest difference to the XR are the tyres. On the XR i have propper enduro tyres and they grip much better off road than the OE tyres on the L. Fueling i found was very smooth and nice, brakes are good and suspension although basic worked fine! Being over 6ft2 the bike is a tiny bit small for me...but bar risers would sort that.

Here are a few shots on the lanes...

as you can see the bike did well and stayed even fairly clean given the wet condition out on the lanes.

Anyway, its a great tool for green laning and short commuting.
Well worth a go.

Thanks,
Lars
Lars1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #257
Shooter83
Inmate # 5.56x45

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Good for you Shooter! It's a great little bike and the more people who own one, the less BS about other junk will be in this thread.
Yeah, it seems like a real winner and will fit my needs perfectly, from what I've heard so far. Just gotta build my bankroll back up before I make the buy.
Shooter83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #258
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
See link, Chozzer's came with factory heated grips (Japan). If this is a "World Bike" then it must be plug and play with the correct part I imagine. I'll take a look at the Service Manual tonight to see if it's mentioned.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=525
There is a plug that's taped off and tucked up under the front left corner of the gas tank. Not sure what it is but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a factory pto circuit for just such a use. I'm away on business right now so I can't take a pic but u should be able to find it.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #259
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Didnt see any notation in the U.S. S M for heated grips. Thought at least spare wires would be on the wiring diagram but not shown. See a plug under the tank and the wiring diagram references a "Junction Box" but all wires there are terminated to ground.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #260
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Quote:
There is a plug that's taped off and tucked up under the front left corner of the gas tank.
That's the DLC. You can connect the HDS pocket tester to the port and read out diagnostic codes. Chapter 4 in the Service Manual describes the procedure (37 pages).

The DLC port is shown at the bottom of the wiring diagram.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #261
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
That's the DLC. You can connect the HDS pocket tester to the port and read out diagnostic codes. Chapter 4 in the Service Manual describes the procedure (37 pages).

ramz, based on everything I see in your posts about technical issues...including the current post running on the KTM Freeride...apparently you're the only one reading the manuals. Thank you, sir.
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #262
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post

Doh! Oh well, I tried.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #263
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Just wondering where everyone is getting their service manuals? Dealers or is there a link to order them online, North America (Canada) preferred...Thanks
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #264
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Manuals - near the bottom of the page:
http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #265
mayner
Postal

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
just ordered, as the bike was lying on it's side I noticed that I had cracked mine.

Mine (skidplate) is scheduled to be delivered to the house by the end of the day on the 29th. The Rev/Hours meter by Tuesday of next week. Cool. ;-)
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #266
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
My plate will be here tomorrow. Pics tomorrow evening.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #267
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayner View Post
Mine (skidplate) is scheduled to be delivered to the house by the end of the day on the 29th. The Rev/Hours meter by Tuesday of next week. Cool. ;-)

yeah ordered mine, not sure when it'll get here, it's usually three or four days longer than stated. Mine stock plate is now broke in two with a piece having fallen off on the trail. I think I may be pushing this bike a bit harder than it should be pushed, deep water crossings, jagged rocky hill climbs, sphincter puckering off camber descents, buried in deep deep mud, over working the suspension on washboard rock strewn trails. It's holding up real well. This is my first enduro, so I'm probably doing things that I shouldn;t be doing with it because I don't know better, the only damage so far has been aftermarket aluminum bars from a 40km/hr crash, and a lot of scratches and the cheapo plastic skid plate.

Here's the ATV high rise bars I put on, they look kinda foolish, sorta like mini apes, but it allows me to be stood up on the bike without being all hunched over, I'm 6'2" so this is a big relief. need to sort out the cross braceas the moose hand guard clamps clamp on right in the same place.

Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #268
Downstater
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
yeah ordered mine, not sure when it'll get here, it's usually three or four days longer than stated. Mine stock plate is now broke in two with a piece having fallen off on the trail. I think I may be pushing this bike a bit harder than it should be pushed, deep water crossings, jagged rocky hill climbs, sphincter puckering off camber descents, buried in deep deep mud, over working the suspension on washboard rock strewn trails. It's holding up real well. This is my first enduro, so I'm probably doing things that I shouldn;t be doing with it because I don't know better, the only damage so far has been aftermarket aluminum bars from a 40km/hr crash, and a lot of scratches and the cheapo plastic skid plate.

Here's the ATV high rise bars I put on, they look kinda foolish, sorta like mini apes, but it allows me to be stood up on the bike without being all hunched over, I'm 6'2" so this is a big relief. need to sort out the cross braceas the moose hand guard clamps clamp on right in the same place.

I've been punishing mine similarly and it loves every second of it.

My stock bash plate is also wasted. I think moose is coming out with one soon
Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #269
hogan81
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello all this is my first post. I've been following this thread since it started and finally after much debate picked a bike up Tuesday. Only two dealerships had the bike and one doesn't want to talk to you unless you play there finance games. With economy the way it has been you would think they would tear your arm off for a cash sale lol. But back to the bike this is my first DS having only owned several gsxr's and a gen 1 vmax. I was looking for something different. I have had more fun on this little bike the last 2 days than I have on 2 wheels in a long time. I did make one mistake, I removed the spark arrestor and rode down the the road. When I got back half of the right turn signal was melted so keep this in mind if you remove it. Anyways thanks for all the info in this thread and I hope to possibly add my review of the bike once I get some more time on it.
hogan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #270
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26.2 View Post
My rear rack arrived today! Bought it from a vendor here, bikerzbits.com.

Thanks. I just ordered mine. Did you order the Honda one or the aftermarket one?
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote