Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #2911
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
Thank you ...
BDSB's claimed "ONLY" theirs came set up properly

good to know tho and I did remember something about that (I have read every page) Do you know if there is any benefit to the ceramic coating ?
If you are a US military veteran, the EJK discount available is VERY significant. I had to dig out a copy of my DD214. If you are a GI, you'll know what that document is.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #2912
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
If you are a US military veteran, the EJK discount available is VERY significant. I had to dig out a copy of my DD214. If you are a GI, you'll know what that document is.
I sell Ford parts and I sell to all vets at cost plus 10% same as employee pricing. It's just the right thing to do !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #2913
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Dobeck even gives a forum user discount.......when ordering mine, I got a $10 discount for mentioning that I was a member of ADV forums! Also active police and fire department personnel receive discounts too!

http://www.electronicjetkit.com/productdiscounts.asp
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #2914
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Do you know if there is any benefit to the ceramic coating ?
I asked the same thing awhile back........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harcomo View Post
For you folks that have installed the FMF exhaust from Best Dual Sport Bikes, what does the ceramic coating that they say is only available through them look like..... as in does it look professionally applied? Does it serve any real purpose on this bike? I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$ because FMF headers and mufflers are available elsewhere for less with free shipping. Are BDSB's FMF products any better than standard FMF stuff for the money?
.....and here is what I was told......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerillah View Post
It looks cheap, I wouldn't let it influence my buying decision.
Maybe if it was applied correctly then possibly there's a benefit? Anyway, I took Guerillah's advice and didn't let it influence my buying decision.
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #2915
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
As buying this, you just ruined the first quality of the CRFL ---> being cheap

Just saying for my concern, because already spent about 1'500 $ for her w/ FMF and so on ...

I was tempted too, but it's enough for now and i will settle for it as it is, ortherwise i'd rather buy another bike "all inclusive".

L
To anyone reading this that lost the sarcasm. I'm going to also explain why the CRF is worth it to mod$. Dirt bikes and race cars are very similar, the name of the game is suspension and tires. I can take a bone stock miata and spank many high end cars with just quality suspension and tires. That being said at 250lbs the CRF stock suspension is a little lacking for the pace my buddies and I ride at off road. I did the tuner, pipe, and sprocket first because I could get that bang for the buck for $400 shipped. Also, I'm waiting to figure out what I want to do with front end first before I modify the rear. If Honda had offered a version with suspension similar to the WR, I would have paid more for that as well. If you ride your CRF on the road with very little trail riding ie gravel roads or at a leisurely pace then this bike is perfect. If your riding it off road like a Red Bull Harescramble then doing the suspension will give you the most bang for the buck. All I'm talking about is speed though, this bike can go anywhere bone stock.

To those thinking about something more race inspired like a KTM. I took my 1 week old 200 mile CRF something like 600 miles in 36hrs. I did about 8hrs of freeway at 75mph, then rode something like 30 miles offroad. Got home and changed the oil and checked the valves. No offense but I would hesitant to due that to some of the other brands :) To keep the thread interesting here it is with the tires, pipe, and plastics/tail light delete.

itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #2916
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
To anyone reading this that lost the sarcasm. I'm going to also explain why the CRF is worth it to mod$. Dirt bikes and race cars are very similar, the name of the game is suspension and tires. I can take a bone stock miata and spank many high end cars with just quality suspension and tires. That being said at 250lbs the CRF stock suspension is a little lacking for the pace my buddies and I ride at off road. I did the tuner, pipe, and sprocket first because I could get that bang for the buck for $400 shipped. Also, I'm waiting to figure out what I want to do with front end first before I modify the rear. If Honda had offered a version with suspension similar to the WR, I would have paid more for that as well. If you ride your CRF on the road with very little trail riding ie gravel roads or at a leisurely pace then this bike is perfect. If your riding it off road like a Red Bull Harescramble then doing the suspension will give you the most bang for the buck. All I'm talking about is speed though, this bike can go anywhere bone stock.

To those thinking about something more race inspired like a KTM. I took my 1 week old 200 mile CRF something like 600 miles in 36hrs. I did about 8hrs of freeway at 75mph, then rode something like 30 miles offroad. Got home and changed the oil and checked the valves. No offense but I would hesitant to due that to some of the other brands :) To keep the thread interesting here it is with the tires, pipe, and plastics/tail light delete.
where is the +1 button !!! Nice post

I know I will be happy with all my mods. In its stock form I agree the CRF250L is a very capable machine. I am getting mine set up for the woods/mild MX stuff and the road and just wish to be confident and comfortable on both.

still unsure about the Rox risers tho ... based on looks alone. We'll see in time tho. I need it to warm up so I can put some more miles on it before I bolt everything on.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2917
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh and by the way .... I put on the Rox risers and used the template and its 106 I even measured the template to make sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #2918
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Oh and by the way .... I put on the Rox risers and used the template and its 106 I even measured the template to make sure.
Cool. Glad they will fit. I know I had a reason for the inside mount, but can't remember what it was. I'll have to switch it to fit the Scott's damper on there in the future.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #2919
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Cool. Glad they will fit. I know I had a reason for the inside mount, but can't remember what it was. I'll have to switch it to fit the Scott's damper on there in the future.
Thanks .... I wish I knew how well the added benefits of the damper really are. It's a lot of money and I want one. The damper and tires are all I have left to buy.

Speaking of tires ..... does anyone want to chime in or discuss them ?

I am open to suggestions ... I will be riding mostly in town and single track woods with some mild MX track use. It seems like the Dunlop D606's may be a good choice. Here in Nebraska there will be mud in the spring but we have dry summers. The trials rear tire and knobby up front intrigues me some. The Kenda tires would wear better on the street and I'm sure I will probably spend some time there but, I want offroad performance to come first.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #2920
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Thanks .... I wish I knew how well the added benefits of the damper really are. It's a lot of money and I want one. The damper and tires are all I have left to buy.

I am open to suggestions ... I will be riding mostly in town and single track woods with some mild MX track use. It seems like the Dunlop D606's may be a good choice. Here in Nebraska there will be mud in the spring but we have dry summers. The trials rear tire and knobby up front intrigues me some. The Kenda tires would wear better on the street and I'm sure I will probably spend some time there but, I want offroad performance to come first.
Yes !

Now im more than 6000km on the odo (about 4000miles).
The stock IRC was good on pavement, very less in muddy terrain and the rear was worn within 2000miles. Im still stuck with stock front that seems like iron, and not that good in the dirt.

Switched for "cheap" Michelin T63 http://moto.michelin.fr/pneus/michelin-t63 with witch im happy on the dry pavement (almost same than IRC) and totally satisfied offroad-mud-rocks when deflated down to 10psi.
Changed for a same new one about 2000miles later, but i could have made last it more since i replaced before it was half worn.

I will change the stock front one that made me suffer in the mud last WE for a better one soon, but dont know which one i'll pick.

L
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #2921
AZDavis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
LRP advertised @ $3999 in AZ

I'm only posting this in hopes that some who might be on the fence is able to get a better deal than I did. I bought from this same Phoenix area Honda dealership back in Dec and did the "this is a hot item" shuffle and paid $5500 otd. Be heads up both dealers i spoke to down here tried the "bait and switch" with the APR. Someone else might be able to do better with the low starting point price they are advertising on the web. Good hunting. I spent last weekend on a Husky out in the Tonto NF so my brother could ride my Honda. He had a great day in the woods and I had a miserable one. We also came to learn that the Honda will start right up again after you drop it in a river. I am a bigger fan than ever of our little Honda, any machine you can put a relatively inexperienced rider on and they can have a great experience, make it up and more importantly DOWN some crazy trails through deep sand etc. albeit a little slower than some others but successfully is a great platform. And I even appreciate the stock Honda seat after bruising my butt on that borrowed Husky saddle. The grass was not greener and I am happier than ever with the purchase.

Safe Travels
-sd-
AZDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #2922
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 793
Quote:

For more off road focus I like the Dunlop 606's and have had good success with them so far on this bike, as well as on my former DRZ400S - I recommend them for DOT legal off road tires and sounds like they fit the bill for what you want (similar to my intended use). I had a trials tire rear dunlop knobby upfront setup on my former crf250x and it was excellent for the single track I was riding but I limited it to dirt roads otherwise the rear would never last on the pavement.

2103 KTM 250 XCW
2103 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #2923
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Yes !

Now im more than 6000km on the odo (about 4000miles).
The stock IRC was good on pavement, very less in muddy terrain and the rear was worn within 2000miles. Im still stuck with stock front that seems like iron, and not that good in the dirt.

Switched for "cheap" Michelin T63 http://moto.michelin.fr/pneus/michelin-t63 with witch im happy on the dry pavement (almost same than IRC) and totally satisfied offroad-mud-rocks when deflated down to 10psi.
Changed for a same new one about 2000miles later, but i could have made last it more since i replaced before it was half worn.

I will change the stock front one that made me suffer in the mud last WE for a better one soon, but dont know which one i'll pick.

L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
For more off road focus I like the Dunlop 606's and have had good success with them so far on this bike, as well as on my former DRZ400S - I recommend them for DOT legal off road tires and sounds like they fit the bill for what you want (similar to my intended use). I had a trials tire rear dunlop knobby upfront setup on my former crf250x and it was excellent for the single track I was riding but I limited it to dirt roads otherwise the rear would never last on the pavement.
Thanks for your thoughts Guys !!!

The cost really does not matter that much and I am leaning towards the D606"s unless somebody can change my mind ...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #2924
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts Guys !!!

The cost really does not matter that much and I am leaning towards the D606"s unless somebody can change my mind ...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283694

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #2925
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=SAPB;20655355]http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283694[/QUOTE

Thank you !!!
tires are always such a tuff decision to make. I want good offroad performance but don't want to just waste them on the pavement either ... also if I am not getting way more aggressive tires I might as well just run stock