SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
[QUOTE=gnath9;20655534]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283694[/QUOTE

Thank you !!!
tires are always such a tuff decision to make. I want good offroad performance but don't want to just waste them on the pavement either ... also if I am not getting way more aggressive tires I might as well just run stock
Much of it depends on what the riding is like where you live. Check out what others in your area are running. Me, I will probably wear out the originals first, then go with something else.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #2927
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
[QUOTE=SAPB;20655586]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post

Much of it depends on what the riding is like where you live. Check out what others in your area are running. Me, I will probably wear out the originals first, then go with something else.
I agree wich is why it is last on my parts list, also I want to get a feel for the way the bike behaves as well. Heck who knows after the added power and Corbin seat I may want to do a little more back road highways than previously thought.

I will have a mix of pavement and fairly hard packed dirt for the most part. Not too many rocks but, lots of down timber and exposed roots, deep ruts and muddy creeks.

gnath9 screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 10:02 AM
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #2928
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,386
[QUOTE=gnath9;20655687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post

I agree wich is why it is last on my parts list, also I want to get a feel for the way the bike behaves as well. Heck who knows after the added power and Corbin seat I may want to do a little more back road highways than previously thought.

I will have a mix of pavement and fairly hard packed dirt for the most part. Not too many rocks but, lots of down timber and exposed roots, deep ruts and muddy creeks.
Having said that, if the weather here actually allows me to wear out the first set, probably be the 606.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #2929
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
How do you get the plastic side panels off?
I checked the owners manual, it only shows how to remove the left back panel that covers the battery.
I took out the 3 screws, from the right tank panel, but it is still attached somewhere, quite firmly. Seems like it's attached to the radiator shroud...?
I can see how to remove the rear panel, the plastic hook thing over the frame tube, but i don't know how to unclip it where it's clipped to the front panel.

Some gratuitous fotos from a little ride in the evening after work...

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #2930
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 37
Ejk

I'm seriously considering an EJK FI controller. With the Law Enforcement discount it's hard to pass up. I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the cost if the bike is otherwise stock. I don't know if I will ever replace the muffler but would appreciate the benefits of fuel delivery improvements. Has anyone installed one of these to a stock system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #2931
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
I'm seriously considering an EJK FI controller. With the Law Enforcement discount it's hard to pass up. I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the cost if the bike is otherwise stock. I don't know if I will ever replace the muffler but would appreciate the benefits of fuel delivery improvements. Has anyone installed one of these to a stock system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently running mine with the stock exhaust system - it has made a noticable improvement in both response and power - That and a change in gearing (13/42) have made a big difference...is it worth it? yes! However I do have an FMF q4 that I can't wait to install as soon as I get a chance.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #2932
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish769 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I am currently running mine with the stock exhaust system - it has made a noticable improvement in both response and power - That and a change in gearing (13/42) have made a big difference...is it worth it? yes! However I do have an FMF q4 that I can't wait to install as soon as I get a chance.
I think I read that the programmer and air box mod does wonders ... and the stock gearing is so high that people that have only put a 13 c/s sprocket on it gained in top end without a programmer.
I know on my bike shifting into 6th pretty much just lowers rpm and that's about it.

I also went with the 13/42 for now .... might need a 13/48 tho
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #2933
Krono
Speed Junkie

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
+1

Yes 13/42 gearing would be the first mod to consider and the best improvement for offroad riding.
This avoid to always quick down to 1st when going uphill steep slopes and allow to keep momentum to get over obstacles
Stock, there's a killing gap between 1st and 2nd gear i didnt appreciate at all.
Now w/13/42 its ok for me even on road, but no more on highways i must admit.

L
Old 02-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #2934
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDavis View Post
I'm only posting this in hopes that some who might be on the fence is able to get a better deal than I did. I bought from this same Phoenix area Honda dealership back in Dec and did the "this is a hot item" shuffle and paid $5500 otd. Be heads up both dealers i spoke to down here tried the "bait and switch" with the APR. Someone else might be able to do better with the low starting point price they are advertising on the web. Good hunting. I spent last weekend on a Husky out in the Tonto NF so my brother could ride my Honda. He had a great day in the woods and I had a miserable one. We also came to learn that the Honda will start right up again after you drop it in a river. I am a bigger fan than ever of our little Honda, any machine you can put a relatively inexperienced rider on and they can have a great experience, make it up and more importantly DOWN some crazy trails through deep sand etc. albeit a little slower than some others but successfully is a great platform. And I even appreciate the stock Honda seat after bruising my butt on that borrowed Husky saddle. The grass was not greener and I am happier than ever with the purchase.

Safe Travels
-sd-
Nice Post !!!
That Husky seat must be a rock... I can't stay in my stock Honda seat for any ride over 30 mins
Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #2935
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
Thanks .... I wish I knew how well the added benefits of the damper really are. It's a lot of money and I want one. The damper and tires are all I have left to buy.

Speaking of tires ..... does anyone want to chime in or discuss them ?

I am open to suggestions ... I will be riding mostly in town and single track woods with some mild MX track use. It seems like the Dunlop D606's may be a good choice. Here in Nebraska there will be mud in the spring but we have dry summers. The trials rear tire and knobby up front intrigues me some. The Kenda tires would wear better on the street and I'm sure I will probably spend some time there but, I want offroad performance to come first.
I'm running the Shinko SR241 trials tire front and rear. They are way better on pavement and also dirt single track. Unsure of wear yet only at 200 street miles and 70 dirt.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #2936
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
>"I'm seriously considering an EJK FI controller. With the Law Enforcement discount it's hard to pass up. I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the cost if the bike is otherwise stock."

Have one, works fine, believe it is the same as FMF and some others (they are all made by same design). Works very well with FMF Q4 and airbox mod. Makes bike a different animal.

>"I also went with the 13/42 for now .... might need a 13/48 tho "

Hmmm... 13/42 is waaayyyy high geared. 13/47 or 13/48 or 14/51 are pretty good. Primary drive rear sprockets are only $20 at Rocky Mtn.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #2937
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I'm seriously considering an EJK FI controller. With the Law Enforcement discount it's hard to pass up. I'm wondering if the benefits are worth the cost if the bike is otherwise stock."

Have one, works fine, believe it is the same as FMF and some others (they are all made by same design). Works very well with FMF Q4 and airbox mod. Makes bike a different animal.

>"I also went with the 13/42 for now .... might need a 13/48 tho "

Hmmm... 13/42 is waaayyyy high geared. 13/47 or 13/48 or 14/51 are pretty good. Primary drive rear sprockets are only $20 at Rocky Mtn.
Just another idea, since the front sprocket is so easy to change - I bought 12 tooth that I use when the going gets nasty, not for any street, but just for ST use (3.5 ratio compared to 3.23) - yes I kow it may make the RPMS too high, its ok with me because it is only for rides when I know I will be on ST. However, for overall DS use, I like the 13/42

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #2938
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

I wanted to start with 13/42 and see how it goes from there. If a 51 works out on the rear with the chain guide then 14/51 sounds good to me
Old 02-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #2939
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Just another idea, since the front sprocket is so easy to change - I bought 12 tooth that I use when the going gets nasty, not for any street, but just for ST use (3.5 ratio compared to 3.23) - yes I kow it may make the RPMS too high, its ok with me because it is only for rides when I know I will be on ST. However, for overall DS use, I like the 13/42
Just be aware that a sprocket that small aggravates chain stresses, and messes up the angles of the chain and may saw into the wear bars on your swing arm....owners of WR250R Yamahas learned some ugly $$$$$ lessons about NOT going small on C/S sprockets.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #2940
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Ok so I just got back from a couples days out in the desert and when i washed my bike i realized my chain has begun to rust. Like lots of spots on the outside of the links and inside. Do i just lube it and it will be fine or should I replace it?
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote