Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #286
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Are you going to send yours back?
Na the welds are strong and thats what matters after all i will give them a chance , maybe just a few bad ones got through ,
Old 09-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #287
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Ricochet Armor Skid Plate Photos

Here's the photos. The plate installed in the usual way. I did use anti seize on the threads. I'm going to take it for a ride in the morning and see what happens.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #288
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Here's the photos. The plate installed in the usual way. I did use anti seize on the threads. I'm going to take it for a ride in the morning and see what happens.

kinda reminds me of a old girlfriend , ugle as hell but tough as nails , thats not bad its tig welding, maybe alum wire feed
Old 09-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #289
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,700
How much was the skid plate ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #290
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
I talked to FMF today. First round of pipes were made today. Should ship end of next week. Geaders will be made mid next week.

Ordered the ecerbis taillight too. Should be here tomorrow. Ill post pics once I get it installed.

...Oh and took her out again today for a thrash. This bike is perfect, so much better than my old DRZ in every way. Crossed two rivers about 1-1.5' deep, lots of single track and hill climbs. so flickable and stable in all terrains. stock tires amaze me everytime. I might even just keep them on for a while. the regear was definitely what the doctor ordered too. I think i might do the 42 tooth in the rear as well like RAMZ did. 2nd gear is still a little tall for the riding I do.

Very happy with this bike.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #291
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 823
Richocet Skid Plate...

Got mine today, the welds don't bother me - they look strong. I do think there are 2 issues though:

1. The plate makes access to the oil filter/change impossible without loosening removing the plate. I have never had to do that with any other plate - may be an issue if you can't remove mounting bolts - not to mention a pain - additionally there is little clearance (Picture 1)

2. The is no clearance on the shifter side between the edge of the plate and the engine case - if the plate got wacked I can see it damaging the engine. I've tried repositioning the plate to increase this but so far to no avail - need to increase the manufacturing tolerances. (Picture 2)

I've sent these pics to richocet - I'm hopeful we can work something out as it's really not usable without tweaking it - which is something I shouldn't have to do.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust screwed with this post 09-28-2012 at 08:04 PM
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #292
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
Got mine today, the welds don't bother me - they look strong. I do think there are 2 issues though:

1. Design flaw - The plate makes access to the oil filter/change impossible without loosening removing the plate. I have never had to do that with any other plate - may be an issue if you can't remove mounting bolts - not to mention a pain - additionally there is little clearance (Picture 1)

2. Manufacturing flaw/design flaw. The is no clearance on the shifter side between the edge of the plate and the engine case - if the plate got waked I can see it damaging the engine. I've tried repositioning the plate to increase this but so far to no avail - need to increase the manufacturing tolerances. (Picture 2)

I've sent these pics to richocet - I'm hopeful we can work something out as it's really not usable without tweaking it - which is something I shouldn't have to do.

Wow, thanks so much for that useful report and images. Makes a ton of sense. Especially the clearance issue with the engine case.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #293
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Would you care to elaborate on your likes vs the DRZ you had? Contemplating the same switch.
Sure. The DRZ while only slightly heavier on paper, now feels like its 50-70 pounds heavier off road. Not sure why but it does to me. This thing is just so flickable off road, its brought back a lot of the fun to getting off the pavement for me. Also I am not all that tall (5'11") and This bike gives me a little more confidence hammering turns due to the fact that im lower to the ground. The FI is a god send here in the cold north in the mornings and also just keeps her purring like a kitten in all conditions. the suspension is definitely better. Im not a suspension tech geek and Im not going to pretend to be one, it just feel better. I was riding on some washboard gravel with some deep whoops down some train tracks today and at a pretty quick pace. I have riden the same whoops on the drz and those speeds just were not comfortable, the ass end was all over the place with the DRZ and I usually went much slower. I also hit two small jumps (10' gap) today and it felt great. No bottoming out and excellent absorbtion and rebound.

The obvious downside is power but with the regear I just did, its barely noticeable. This thing comes up in 2nd no problem and roosts all over the place. I have slowed down in general now due to age and not being able to miss work but this thing is quite confidence inspiring. The reliability of this motor as with most non racing honda engines should be excellent, much like that of the DRZ.

Now dont get me wrong, the DRZ is a great bike. I owned one for 5 years and put thousands of miles on it on and off road. It just seems and felt antiquated and clunky in many ways as well as heavy for me. At the end of the day this bike just suits me better and is a hoot to ride. also a good bang for the buck.

Im looking forward to modding it with some more small bits to make it perfect (alum bash plate, fmf pipe, zeta guards, acerbis taillight, kenda trakmaster tires, 42T rear sprocket... to name a few)

I cant make your decision for you but I definitely enjoy this bike. The DRZ is excellent though for its intended purpose. To each his own.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #294
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

1. The plate makes access to the oil filter/change impossible without loosening removing the plate. I have never had to do that with any other plate - may be an issue if you can't remove mounting bolts - not to mention a pain - additionally there is little clearance (Picture 1)

2. The is no clearance on the shifter side between the edge of the plate and the engine case - if the plate got wacked I can see it damaging the engine. I've tried repositioning the plate to increase this but so far to no avail - need to increase the manufacturing tolerances. (Picture 2)

I caught the same thing. I'm going to call them Monday. I'll send them my pictures too, if they want.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #295
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:

Wow.. Good info. And way to screw the pooch on the first date ricochet.

The engine clearance will definitely become a case hole with one good whack and that oil filter issue will def be a pain in the nuts. Looks like I'll either wait for gen2 or some other company to release one.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #296
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

The more I look at it and think about it. The less I like it. I'm going to take it off the bike in the morning and ship it back to them on Monday. I'll wait for them to fix it, or get one somewhere else.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #297
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
The more I look at it and think about it. The less I like it. I'm going to take it off the bike in the morning and ship it back to them on Monday. I'll wait for them to fix it, or get one somewhere else.
Indeed, ship it back to Ricochet Offroad Armor. I'm sure they will correct the problems, and give you a refund if you wish. In my experience, Ricochet Offroad Armor makes excellent skid plates, and they offer superb customer service.

Incidentally, I think the welds look fine. After all, it's a skid plate, and strength is the most important factor.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #298
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
I saw a comparison thread between the CRFL and WRR a couple of days ago and can no longer find it, can someone link me please?

Cheers
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #299
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Indeed, ship it back to Ricochet Offroad Armor. I'm sure they will correct the problems, and give you a refund if you wish. In my experience, Ricochet Offroad Armor makes excellent skid plates, and they offer superb customer service.

Incidentally, I think the welds look fine. After all, it's a skid plate, and strength is the most important factor.

Spud
I'm sure they will. I had one on my KLR250. I'm confident they will make it right.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #300
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I saw a comparison thread between the CRFL and WRR a couple of days ago and can no longer find it, can someone link me please?

Cheers
This one?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816708