Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #301
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
The more I look at it and think about it. The less I like it. I'm going to take it off the bike in the morning and ship it back to them on Monday. I'll wait for them to fix it, or get one somewhere else.

I'm going to ship it back as well. Let's see if they make it right - I am thinkg they will and to be honest, while I would hope there wouldn't be issues i am not surprised at seeing issues from early manufacturing designs.

In Loving Memory of Cruzin2B 1953 - 2014
SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #302
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
I saw a comparison thread between the CRFL and WRR a couple of days ago and can no longer find it, can someone link me please?

Cheers
If you have the money and the inseam, go for the WR, if not you'll like the CRF.

I could afford the WR, but its way too tall for me.

I am really enjoying my CRF, it's just a really fun bike to ride.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #303
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust View Post
I'm going to ship it back as well. Let's see if they make it right - I am thinkg they will and to be honest, while I would hope there wouldn't be issues i am not surprised at seeing issues from early manufacturing designs.
Neither am I. Sometimes, the rush to be first in the market does not work out so well. I'll give them another chance. I was very happy with their skid plate that was on my KLR 250. It took some big hits, and did well.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #304
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Just adjusted the rear shock preload. I chose to remove the shock. Using a 17mm crows foot made removing it a breeze.
26.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #305
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190

I've got one on the way, to be honest these welds look pretty standard fopr something thats going to be bashed around and abused a lot. They almost look like aluminum stick welds, probably MIG though, anybody that laid TIG welds like that wouldn't earn much money welding. As for the clearance isssues, well I've rarely orderd anything off the internet and had it be a perfect fit. I'll probably cut a little relief notch to get easiet acces to the filter, and tweek it out with a mallet fro a little more clearance, but honestly it looks decent enough for me, after all it's not intedned as a show peice, just there to protect your engine.

Oh yeah, my Giant Loop MoJavi arrived yesterday, am I eve rimpressed with this, seems real rugged, now I;llm be able o carry proper spares and stuff.

anybody got a line on stiffer springs for these??

Wargasm screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 10:17 AM
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #306
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
I've got one on the way, to be honest these welds look pretty standard fopr something thats going to be bashed around and abused a lot. They almost look like aluminum stick welds, probably MIG though, anybody that laid TIG welds like that wouldn't earn much money welding. As for the clearance isssues, well I've rarely orderd anything off the internet and had it be a perfect fit. I'll probably cut a little relief notch to get easiet acces to the filter, and tweek it out with a mallet fro a little more clearance, but honestly it looks decent enough for me, after all it's not intedned as a show peice, just there to protect your engine.

Oh yeah, my Giant Loop MoJavi arrived yesterday, am I eve rimpressed with this, seems real rugged, now I;llm be able o carry proper spares and stuff.
You will have to cut off a pretty big chunk to get to that last oil filter bolt. The welds don't bother me either, I'm not a welder, so I wouldn't know a good weld if it introduced itself to me. As for the clearance, I shouldn't have to mod stuff myself, that I bought from a company. I'm sure Ricochet will make it right.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #307
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Thanks for the rundown. It sounds like a great bike. All the dealers close by sold their first runs of the CRF. Waiting for the next batch for a sit and hopefully a test ride. It sounds like a great bike. The DRZ is just a bit to tall for me and I prefer FI.

I haven't looked back through the thread, but I assume you have only changed the front sprocket?
Yes I only did the front sprocket so far. I put a 13T on. I will probably do a 42T on the rear too though now that crfs only sells them. After that this thing will be perfect on the trails. Top speed on road will still probably be over 70 with that gearing.

It sounds like you have similar reasons as I did and you will undoubtedly find a winner with this bike.

Good luck with your decision
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #308
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
You will have to cut off a pretty big chunk to get to that last oil filter bolt. The welds don't bother me either, I'm not a welder, so I wouldn't know a good weld if it introduced itself to me. As for the clearance, I shouldn't have to mod stuff myself, that I bought from a company. I'm sure Ricochet will make it right.
Let us know what they say please. Don't wanna bombard them. Yet

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #309
Bob80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstater View Post
Yes I only did the front sprocket so far. I put a 13T on. I will probably do a 42T on the rear too though now that crfs only sells them. After that this thing will be perfect on the trails. Top speed on road will still probably be over 70 with that gearing.

It sounds like you have similar reasons as I did and you will undoubtedly find a winner with this bike.

Good luck with your decision
What are you getting for Top speed now, with just the 13T front? I mainly travel dirt/pavement and light trails, nothing too knarly (and if it is, it's pretty slow) Fantastic bike so far, my only issue is, For Example: when slowing down to turn onto another road, I find you have to drop down an extra gear or two ta keep the power to er, or if your clipping along pretty good in say 3rd, and ya gotta slow a bit for a puddle, you pretty much got to go right back down to first. It's mainly just a bit of getting used to after coming off bigger displacement street bikes. Do you find the 13T helped this issue out, if ya know what I mean?...Thanks
Bob80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #310
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob80 View Post
What are you getting for Top speed now, with just the 13T front? I mainly travel dirt/pavement and light trails, nothing too knarly (and if it is, it's pretty slow) Fantastic bike so far, my only issue is, For Example: when slowing down to turn onto another road, I find you have to drop down an extra gear or two ta keep the power to er, or if your clipping along pretty good in say 3rd, and ya gotta slow a bit for a puddle, you pretty much got to go right back down to first. It's mainly just a bit of getting used to after coming off bigger displacement street bikes. Do you find the 13T helped this issue out, if ya know what I mean?...Thanks
yes. 13T will make a big difference in that department. It improved the bike greatly for me. I do ride fairly hard though and mostly off pavement so I will likely do a 42T rear sprocket as well. 2nd gear is still too tall for me for tight single track trail riding.

*edit* - I forgot to answer your question regarding top speed. Answer- No clue. I pretty much only ride dirt and occasional road to get a bagel in the morning if I dont want to start the truck. Plus I only have 180 miles on mine so I am a bit reluctant to ring it out too hard quite yet. I think I did 70 the onther day going from one riding spot to another on a highway. She still had more to go for sure.

Remember this thing is geared for MPG, period. It is not geared for offroad riding. Luckily though gears are extremely cheap and easy to install and the rest of the bike puts up with offroad beatings just fine.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #311
bestdualsportbikes
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Fuel programmers for 250L

Hey everybody. Just letting you know we now have the baseline for a good fuel programmer at www.bestdualsportbikes.com. The on board A/F meter shows a consistent 12.5-13:1 ratio all the way through. The 250 with the FMF system pulls much harder now with the right A/F ratio. It is now 9-29 and we should have in stock to ship by 10-5. Cutting the backfire screen off the stock air filter helped as well as well as taking the snorkel out of the top of the box. it's pretty good left at this. Will dyno run soon.
bestdualsportbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #312
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Checked out the CRF250L today, nice bike, dealer was out of his mind tho, he wants $5,500 out the door , right...

some crappy cell phone pics i snapped

im 5'9 and could flat foot both feet on the ground, fealt heavier then my XT250 for sure, and the seat is really hard compared to mine, but is a real nice bike, i wanted a test ride, but they wouldnt allow it.

Some other guy was there trying to trade in his 2008 CRF230L for one of them, but he too thought the $1,000 extras in dealer bullshit was not right so he walked out.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #313
Lucky62
Dreamer Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 44
Question Picked mine up today....

I have high hopes for this bike, and only got to ride it maybe 2 miles or so when I got home from work, but I gotta say I wasn't impressed with the power. I commute most days on my 650 Vstrom though, so hopefully it's just that I'm used to that bike.

I have a concern though and would like to ask the other owners on here, if you start the bike and just let it sit there for a minute, do your rpms vary while it's idling? Mine sounds to me like something isn't right, it will vary maybe 200 rpm (I'm guessing) , settle down for a bit, then just when you think you are imagining it, it starts to climb again, maybe for 10 seconds, then goes back down.

I'm not sure if it's because the bike was cold or not. I didn't think to let it idle when I got back from a mile down the road. My Strom is FI and I love it, when started cold it runs a bit fast for 10-15 seconds maybe then settles in after warming a bit, but it's never done the "varying" thing....

I plan to ride it a good bit more tomorrow, hopefully it will sort itself out, but let me know if you guys think this is something I need to look into or if you have had a similar experience.

Thanks!
Ride Safe.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #314
Dirtchuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey bob80 I have had the 13 tooth front on for about 2 weeks now and I definitely agree with downstater. 13 in the front made a world of difference compared to the 14 in the gear shifting department. On the street (only place I've been able to test the 13 so far) 1 st is now just for stop signs and lights, in 2nd or 3rd I can pretty much bring it to a bog, roll on the throttle and she pulls right back up.

My max according to the garmin is 77.5 and I know there was more there( maybe not a ton) but at that speed the front end with that giant fender starts catching a lot of air and it a little bit spooky.
Dirtchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #315
Downstater
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky62 View Post
I have high hopes for this bike, and only got to ride it maybe 2 miles or so when I got home from work, but I gotta say I wasn't impressed with the power. I commute most days on my 650 Vstrom though, so hopefully it's just that I'm used to that bike.

I have a concern though and would like to ask the other owners on here, if you start the bike and just let it sit there for a minute, do your rpms vary while it's idling? Mine sounds to me like something isn't right, it will vary maybe 200 rpm (I'm guessing) , settle down for a bit, then just when you think you are imagining it, it starts to climb again, maybe for 10 seconds, then goes back down.

I'm not sure if it's because the bike was cold or not. I didn't think to let it idle when I got back from a mile down the road. My Strom is FI and I love it, when started cold it runs a bit fast for 10-15 seconds maybe then settles in after warming a bit, but it's never done the "varying" thing....

I plan to ride it a good bit more tomorrow, hopefully it will sort itself out, but let me know if you guys think this is something I need to look into or if you have had a similar experience.

Thanks!
Ride Safe.
Lucky,

1. Your bike is fine. Fi will vary rpms upon startup.

2. The only problem I see is comparing this bike to a 650 twin road bike. All do respect... That's just silly. Perhaps this was not the best bike for you if you were expecting 650 power from a 250 dirt oriented single. If you keep the bike and intend to ride it off road I would highly suggest a regear. It is cheap and easy and makes a world of difference. Honda built these bikes to deliver good performance on road and off but almost more importantly, high mpg. This is why the gearing is so tall from the factory.