Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #3271
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Yes, so most people pick a CR-Hi handlebar, rotate it forward enough to suit them for standing, and get used to whatever pull-back it has. If you use the adaptors to convert to fat bars, that adds more height than any of the typical bends other than the trials bars.

With a road bike, you need to avoid the bars that are much wider than stock, to avoid problems with the length of the clutch and throttle cables and wiring.

Getting the pull-back to suit you...the usual idea is to sit on the and hold out your arms to a sort of natural position and see how your wrists are, how straight or angled your wrists are. If they're quite angled, you want more pullback (many people do) then you have to look at that when comparing the handlebar specs.
When you look at the specs, comparing the different pull-backs, you see...trials bars typically very straight, less pull-back, because straighter better for standing, with more forward balance; then MX bars, then enduro bars and supermoto bars, more pull-back.

ZETA website has handlebar "simulator" that illustrates it very nicely. You select the bike (and they have the CRF250L), it displays a diagram showing the standard bar, then you select one of the ZETA bars and it superimposes the diagram for that one so you can compare.
You can see that the CRF250L bars would be quite good for most people - medium high, more pull-back than most.
I used that to check out bar bends when i was looking. It really helped me understand how to visualize different bends.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3272
LiquidYogi
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just got back from the dealer. $5,113 for a used LRP with 87 miles on it. Couldn't be happier its got plenty of pull on the freeways for me.
LiquidYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:56 PM   #3273
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaan View Post
Anyone in the socal area that has removed their rear fender with the emissions label want to part with it for a day? I'm willing to pay to borrow it so I can register my bike. Honda doesn't sell the label. Here's my bike at the DMV failing the inspection. :(
They didn't seem to care about the exhaust, just the VIN and emissions label check.
You know, now that I think of it, CARB has to be pretty stupid. Here in MI, the insurance companies know what motorcycles are "born" street legal, as well as emission legal. California and CARB are dumb enough to depend on some frikkin' sticker on the rear fender.....just another sad beaurocratic pissoff.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #3274
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
You know, now that I think of it, CARB has to be pretty stupid. Here in MI, the insurance companies know what motorcycles are "born" street legal, as well as emission legal. California and CARB are dumb enough to depend on some frikkin' sticker on the rear fender.....just another sad beaurocratic pissoff.
Oh crap, I hope you aren't insinuating the the big C state isn't real................

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #3275
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
New topic...CRF windshields....I've seen at least one inmate here using the TCI Products Windscreen and brackets....Has anyone bought the brackets and made their own windscreen? To me the TCI windscreen is a little bit tall and dorky. I've made unique windscreens for my KLR, BMW Dakar, and V Strom, but used existing attachment points...but there's nothing to start from on the CRF.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #3276
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
New topic...CRF windshields....I've seen at least one inmate here using the TCI Products Windscreen and brackets....Has anyone bought the brackets and made their own windscreen? To me the TCI windscreen is a little bit tall and dorky. I've made unique windscreens for my KLR, BMW Dakar, and V Strom, but used existing attachment points...but there's nothing to start from on the CRF.
I have the windshield coming from CRF only, it will be here on wed. will let ya know how I like it.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #3277
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,472
Quote:
New topic...CRF windshields....I've seen at least one inmate here using the TCI Products Windscreen and brackets....Has anyone bought the brackets and made their own windscreen?
not a windscreen but a buddy and I are making a fairing out of fiberglass

first experiment was a failure working on #2 right now

I might paint it next week so I will take a pic if it is worthy
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:15 PM   #3278
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
I'm also interested in a smallish type touring shield (like the Jimbo shield that many of us TW200 owners have installed)... Something that extends up about 12-14" above the headlight fairing/bezel.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #3279
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
I have two new windshield that are takeoff from the two new 650 V-Strom I purchased. I did hold one up to the CRF250L and it looks like it would work with the correct mounting brackets. OK now I have to just find the right brackets.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #3280
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Well it's official owner of a crf250l and on the way back to duty station to off load it and start riding.
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #3281
DirtyBlackIrish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Well it's official owner of a crf250l and on the way back to duty station to off load it and start riding.

Congrats!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:13 PM   #3282
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaan View Post
Anyone in the socal area that has removed their rear fender with the emissions label want to part with it for a day? I'm willing to pay to borrow it so I can register my bike. Honda doesn't sell the label. Here's my bike at the DMV failing the inspection. :(
They didn't seem to care about the exhaust, just the VIN and emissions label check.
Is that the best dual sport crf? It looks good. The muffler looks a little darker then the one i have more or a grey then a silver.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #3283
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Good for you! Did you buy the bike in Ellensburg?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #3284
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
bdolnick, welcome and thanks for the pics. :) How about a pic or two from the underside, the back - of the Yoshi thing...?
I want to figure out whether to get this, or the DRC bracket, or just leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolnik View Post
Wow, any compliment from you on photos Lost is pretty special, I'm constantly drooling over yours!
Yes! Good pics. :)

PS:
The Wheeling Cycle Supply CRF250L taillight kit - DRC Edge taillight + bracket + 12 o'clock Labs LED board with integrated turn signals and better LED because the DRC LEDs are not good enough... the DRC bracket is actually the one designed for the Suzuki DRZ400 - apparently it fits the CRF250L subframe perfectly. On the 12 o'clock Labs website, the images that show the dimensions of them, they're the same images, all dimensions the same. So if you don't want the expensive 12 o'clock Labs LED board...

cat screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 12:54 AM
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #3285
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
I have two new windshield that are takeoff from the two new 650 V-Strom I purchased. I did hold one up to the CRF250L and it looks like it would work with the correct mounting brackets. OK now I have to just find the right brackets.

John
I had an MRA on a SV650, some others here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...ields?limit=48

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote