Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #3316
AZDavis
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Skid plate saved the day and... is my frame bent?

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4LX...pNVWJCSnc/edit

Have I finally figured out how to successfully post pics in this treasured forum?
AZDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3317
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy

Oddometer: 191
I'm kinda new to dirtbikes. Have owned fourwheelers, but none had the big front brake line loop like the CRF250L. Just wondering what the purpose of that is.....other than catching tree branches.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #3318
hicRhodus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but, how much can the 250 L be lowered. I'm thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter. It doesn't look like much foam can be cut from the seat.
Just tried the lowering route with my CRF250L to see if it could fit the wife but even with the Kouba link and 'low' version of the seat concepts seat it was still too tall for her (she's 5'1").

In any case, as far as shaving/lowering the seat just be aware that it effects the seat to foot pegs ratio and knee/hip angle - not for the better in my opinion. I rode the bike for a while this weekend with only the 'low' seat concepts seat installed and didn't care for the cramped feeling in my legs/hips (I'm 5'8"). Obviously someone else might be fine with it...just something to keep in mind.
;-)

P.S. Anyone want to buy a brand new (less than 10 miles) Kouba link for the CRF250L? :-D
hicRhodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #3319
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondike300 View Post
Looking at putting on my Trackside 12 volt outlet. Was wondering though if getting a plug that matches my tender plug and just use it when needed is smarter. Seems like the one on my KLX drained the battery quicker.

Also, would it be smart to add a fuse inline or just bolt straight to the battery?

I use the Trackside 12V outlet direct to the battery without a fuse. The wire looks good for anything the battery/alteranator can deliver. See post 2876 for a mounting option http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2876

I charge this bike through the outlet.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 AM   #3320
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
I use the Trackside 12V outlet direct to the battery without a fuse. The wire looks good for anything the battery/alteranator can deliver. See post 2876 for a mounting option http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2876

I charge this bike through the outlet.
Im by no means an electrician, but thats just bad practice. Why no fuse...? It makes no sense.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #3321
Telemarktumalo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I'm sure this has been beaten to death but, how much can the 250 L be lowered. I'm thinking about getting one for my 16 year old daughter. It doesn't look like much foam can be cut from the seat.
I'd hate to steer anyone away from the Honda, but for comparison sake, take a look at the Yamaha XT250. The seat height must be a full two inches lower than the Honda and feels even lower. My girlfriend is 5'1" and rides the Yamaha. She can't flat foot on it, but is much more comfortable on this. She has taken a few spins on my CRF and finds the height intimidating. BTW, she is a good rider with lots of experience with over 35,000 miles on a lowered G650GS.
Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #3322
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by hicRhodus View Post
Just tried the lowering route with my CRF250L to see if it could fit the wife but even with the Kouba link and 'low' version of the seat concepts seat it was still too tall for her (she's 5'1").

In any case, as far as shaving/lowering the seat just be aware that it effects the seat to foot pegs ratio and knee/hip angle - not for the better in my opinion. I rode the bike for a while this weekend with only the 'low' seat concepts seat installed and didn't care for the cramped feeling in my legs/hips (I'm 5'8"). Obviously someone else might be fine with it...just something to keep in mind.
;-)

P.S. Anyone want to buy a brand new (less than 10 miles) Kouba link for the CRF250L? :-D

Like you said, others may feel different. I put on 760 miles last weekend going to a dual sport event in south Texas and had no problem with the low seat either in leg cramping or seat comfort. I did have a problem with a deep rutted water hole and decided to stop in the middle and wash me and the bike.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #3323
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:

;-)

Hic,

At 5'8" you should be on the standard height seat. If you feel you need the low seat for touching the ground, maybe you need to look into lowering the footpegs to get a better position for your legs.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #3324
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbundy View Post
Hic,

At 5'8" you should be on the standard height seat. If you feel you need the low seat for touching the ground, maybe you need to look into lowering the footpegs to get a better position for your legs.

Bundy
I agree i'm 5'7" and have no problems with the standard height seat

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #3325
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:

;-)

I was wondering about actual seat height. I'm not near ready to buy yet, just trying to get my wits togeather over which bike to get between the new CRF 250 L & a used/good deal KLX 250 SF.

Just guessing that my daughter is 5.4 or 5.5 & she clearly takes after her dad with two wheeled demonstrations of cat like balance. She needs more dirt time on her KLX 140 but, I'm sure she will soon be able to "one leg" a 250 safely.

This will be a bike that Dad gets some seat time on & I'm thinking the Honda might put the biggest smile on my face. I'm sure a KLX 250 SF is still alot better than a sharp sick in the eye.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #3326
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
No need to lower it your supposed to .... Keep them feet on the pegs !!!
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #3327
Rocket123
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Waded through this thread over the last week or so phew

I was looking for an inexpensive bike for knocking about London and always wanted an Enduro bike, but a bike with knobbly tyres just wouldn't cut it on the twisties.

To rule it out of the running I took an extended test ride. On the very first corner the front end just dropped into the corner so fast I had to adjust my trajectory and such was the surprise coupled with a light snickety gear change and willing engine....God I was in motorbike heaven!

I was confused and still am how a bike like this could turn and grip so well on knobbly tyres, and also so well in the wet. The OEM tyres seem great for the road. Could I live with those brakes though...... I'd tried locking the fronts on several occasions to no avail.

I nailed the throttle for 3 hrs long over country lanes and dual carriageways to try and verify Honda's claimed 90mpg (uk) and was satisfied with the 70mpg I calculated (about 60 mpg US). I had to have one, my own LRP.

That was a month back and now two weeks into ownership and 425 miles I'm loving it. I've rediscovered motorcycling in Southern England. Tight twisty wet and muddy country lanes give as much enjoyment as a trip to the fast open roads over the Welsh boarder.

I never really thought of going off road, but needed to get some street cred mud. However with absolutely zero off road experience and not wanting to tackle anything unmanageable and trash my brand new bike I watched some of the late Steve Svengarlie aka onelungwarrier's videos of green lanes (off road paths) in Southern England to know what to expect and which road to take.

http://www.qwerf.com/greenlaning a brilliant resource.

I'm now totally hooked riding off road, although I don't know whether I should be sitting, standing, braking or accelerating but I've not fallen off yet.

I absolutely envy you guys in the states with the great outdoors on your door step. The pictures and videos you post look truly awesome. Its mud and puddles for me though.

A couple of things
UK LRPs come standard here with 2 years manufactures warranty plus 2 years roadside recovery.
Bike costs circa 5000 USD
Complete tool kit as per the owners manual

No spark arrestor in the exhaust.
Most dealers here have the LRP in stock.
Can't get a workshop manual in the UK. HelmInc will send me one for 195 USD!
Can't get any tyres here either. Would have to import the D606s. Like to be corrected on this.
Got on order the AXP skid plate.
There seems to only be one other skid plate supplier to the UK
http://www.ad-tekproducts.co.uk/acat...-Plate-HS.html

Rocket
Rocket123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #3328
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Rocket 123:
You're in luck...the US model comes with 3 allen wrenches!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #3329
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I got ripped off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Rocket 123:
You're in luck...the US model comes with 3 allen wrenches!
Three allen Wrenches?? I only got two, and a fuse puller as the manual states.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #3330
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225

Link to site:
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote