Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #3361
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNASTY View Post
Does anyone have any photos or instruction on side stand switch removal? I'm afraid to get started and then get stuck with a bike that won't start.... Thanks in advance!
Ramz instructions. http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#sidestandswitch

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #3362
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Thanks for the warning. That's bad news. After speaking yesterday, i looked at one catalog (the only SA supplier i could think of that had a list online - Michelin, Pirelli...two others i can't remember) and... 120 seems quite non-standard. They were all 130, 140, and the profiles were all 90. Then if you factor in the interest in more offroad type or more onroad type, seems like it's going to be a problem - involving a compromise.
Yes, bigger tire with an engine like this...nah, i'd rather go for a 110, if that's what's available. It might look a bit skinny - the OEM one does already - but it would probably work better. And that means the speedo, too...i can see myself buying that expensive "speedo healer" thing eventually.

What's bothering me, though, is that the front tire seems really wrong on the road - around 100km/h / 65mph, it feels really skittery. Quite unusual for me. Limited experience, but my KDX full knobbies are so stable on the road, they grip amazingly, and when they are getting near the limit, i can feel it. So i must see what i can get that is more suitable for the road.
When I said "compare size" was to find out exact width and height of a real tire mounted and inflated from the tire company's website...not 120/90 or whatever....those dimensions don't mean squat....And your comment about skittery at road speed has been expressed by some magazine road testers, and they admitted the tires were slightly soft for offroad use....I'd suggest going 3 or 4 psi over the suggested pressure on the sticker on the frame...or if there is a rated pressure on the tire, go with that number and see how it feels at speed.....also...if the little tits aren't worn off the tire you can be sure that's the problem...cut them off with a razor blade and then use the front tire and brake pretty good...and I think it'll feel better

what kinda knobs did you have on the KDX?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #3363
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I have no intention of re installing mine so instead of pulling the sub frame

bolt I just cut the wire and removed it. I did solder it back together in case

someone ever wanted it. I also did not use a jumper wire, I cut off the upper

connector and soldered the wires together. leaving enough wire on it

to reuse it if needed. don't forget to use heat shrink. ( I prefer the stuff with

glue in it.) Easy and does away with a potential problem.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 AM   #3364
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
When I said "compare size" was to find out exact width and height of a real tire mounted and inflated from the tire company's website...not 120/90 or whatever....those dimensions don't mean squat....And your comment about skittery at road speed has been expressed by some magazine road testers, and they admitted the tires were slightly soft for offroad use....I'd suggest going 3 or 4 psi over the suggested pressure on the sticker on the frame...or if there is a rated pressure on the tire, go with that number and see how it feels at speed.....also...if the little tits aren't worn off the tire you can be sure that's the problem...cut them off with a razor blade and then use the front tire and brake pretty good...and I think it'll feel better

what kinda knobs did you have on the KDX?
Yes...you think some of them actually give specs like that? I know the width varies but somehow i thought the profile/height was more realistic or consistent. Anyway, i think it'll come down to what is available locally, with whatever preference for onroad-offroad.

The "skitteriness" instability, i dunno, i haven't even checked the pressure yet, so you may well be right. (I have a helluva lot to do this weekend, with this bike.)

I don't know what is on the KDX, i'll check sometime this weekend. Still the original tyres.
Like any full knobbies, though, i'd be scared in the rain. I'm not worried about cornering, just braking; there're always those moments when you need to brake harder than you'd prefer in the wet.

cat screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:31 AM
cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #3365
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
CAT: I assume it is nice there...24F & snowing here...enjoy the weekend...I'll bet your tires are soft
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #3366
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
OTD - southern cal

Going to get the CRF250L this or next weekend. For the Southern California purchasers, can you tell me (if you don't mind sharing) what some of your out the door prices were? I had the Honda dealer literally 2 miles from me calculate the OTD price and he told me $5917.00. I thanked him and walked out the door. I think that's why they call it an "out the door", because that's exactly where I went.
I went to another place that's a dedicated honda dealer, and he told me ballpark 5600 or 5700. I got the feeling if I pressed him I could MAYBE get it for $5500.00.
Question...I don't mind driving for a deal (I own an F-150), so can someone here point me in the right direction for a great deal based on what you got compared to what I said I heard from two dealers? I'd be willing to drive as far as maybe San Diego?
I do appreciate this very much. I just think the amount you have to pay over the list price for such an inexpensive bike is sickening!
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #3367
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
Going to get the CRF250L this or next weekend. For the Southern California purchasers, can you tell me (if you don't mind sharing) what some of your out the door prices were? I had the Honda dealer literally 2 miles from me calculate the OTD price and he told me $5917.00. I thanked him and walked out the door. I think that's why they call it an "out the door", because that's exactly where I went.
I went to another place that's a dedicated honda dealer, and he told me ballpark 5600 or 5700. I got the feeling if I pressed him I could MAYBE get it for $5500.00.
Question...I don't mind driving for a deal (I own an F-150), so can someone here point me in the right direction for a great deal based on what you got compared to what I said I heard from two dealers? I'd be willing to drive as far as maybe San Diego?
I do appreciate this very much. I just think the amount you have to pay over the list price for such an inexpensive bike is sickening!
Those "stealers" you talked to are greedy. I know dealers in Washington, Idaho, and Utah who are selling the bike for MSRP, plus tax and title.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #3368
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Those "stealers" you talked to are greedy. I know dealers in Washington, Idaho, and Utah who are selling the bike for MSRP, plus tax and title.
Which, if they did that in California, would be about $5300 I think... unless there's a Destination Charge that's getting added on (a legitimate one).

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #3369
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Which, if they did that in California, would be about $5300 I think... unless there's a Destination Charge that's getting added on (a legitimate one).

Rob
Egads! What is the tax rate in California? My local dealer is selling the CRF250L for $4,829, out the door.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #3370
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Egads! What is the tax rate in California? My local dealer is selling the CRF250L for $4,829, out the door.
Sales tax is like 9% now, but then figure about $250 or so for getting it registered.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #3371
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
To Willbeoutdoors:

We're running a d606 120/90/18 rear and a Pirelli XC 80-/100/21 front on the LRP currently.
Generally it's fine to go one size up from rim size in width, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 130 or 120/whatever/18. Or a 90/90/21 front. Done it many times on various bikes. Looks like there's plenty of room for clearance of the swing arm.
I'm not a skilled enough rider to feel any major difference in performance by having a larger tire, and they tend to last longer.

Greetings from Death Valley on the LRP! Too slow of Internet for a photo...

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #3372
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Spud, I think it is up to 10%, depending on the city/coumty tax. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #3373
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
We're running a d606 120/90/18 rear and a Pirelli XC 80-/100/21 front on the LRP currently.
Generally it's fine to go one size up from rim size in width, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 130 or 120/whatever/18. Or a 90/90/21 front. Done it many times on various bikes. Looks like there's plenty of room for clearance of the swing arm.
I'm not a skilled enough rider to feel any major difference in performance by having a larger tire, and they tend to last longer.
My only issue with larger tires, especially on small-cc bikes, is weight. These things are hp-deficient as it is, I don't want to put an even heavier tire on it and make it have to work that much harder.

I think my new Trackmaster for my KLX is a 100 or 110 and it's plenty beefy.

Rob
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #3374
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Sales tax is like 9% now, but then figure about $250 or so for getting it registered.

Rob
The sales tax is 6 percent in Idaho. I've registered three motorcycles at the DMV for a $10 fee, after paying the sales tax. The local dealer charges $60 for title paperwork. Therefore, the only "bogus" fee he charges is a $50 markup on the paperwork, and the government might force him to do that.

Spud
Old 02-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #3375
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
Spud, I think it is up to 10%, depending on the city/coumty tax. Bill C
According to the 2013 California City and County Sales and Use Tax Rates thing on line, MY city in Orange County, CA now has an even 8% sales tax rate...thanks to the California Voters last November. That means I get to pay an extra $360.00 for Jerry Browns spending machine! Lucky me. lol That plus the $310 for the "destination charge" that Honda lists on their webpage for this bike. Funny how the Goldwing, which is a 900 + pound bike is only $390 for destination charge. Not sure how that math works out. I think it's that "motorcycle industry wants to lose MORE market share" math, adding to the "Out the door factor". But hey, it's a legitimate fee, right?
Thanks for the input, guys. :-)
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote