Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #3376
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
If in doubt about tire size I suggest asking woody, in the woodys wheel work thread in Vendors forum, he'll give you an answer and none of us mere mortals are as qualified as him for tire sizing questions. I only know what I've done. (;

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #3377
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Clowsons Honda Fresno is 5200$ OTD or 5500$ is you can't talk them down a little. They were willing to let me buy from them for 5200$
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #3378
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Also looking for tank bag ideas? Strap or no strap? Hard to mount?
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #3379
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk5mike View Post
Also looking for tank bag ideas? Strap or no strap? Hard to mount?
I have tried magnetic tank bags but I fall too much and they don't stay on so I just switched to the cheaper Wolfman bag and it stays on and clears the gas cap. Its not waterproof but I will just put the cell phone and wallet in a baggie when it's wet.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #3380
jjustj
JUSTAGUYTRYING2STAYDRY

Oddometer: 5,148
wolfman also makes..

a nice small bag perfect for gps ..camera...

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?...&product_id=93 jus saying....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #3381
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,584
We just picked up a 2013 CRF250L with 600 miles on it for my wife tonight, She's currently riding an XT225 that she's done the Eastern TAT on and other DS rides, so we'll see how the transition is from the XT to the CRF for her. I've got a WR250R and a DR650 so that's 4 DS bikes in our garage!

We are headed out to CO/UT this summer and she's got a few months to decide if the the little bit larger and heavier CRF will be okay before we sell the XT.

We had thought about a WRR for her too, but honestly its so tall and she's only 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam with a petite build, we'd have to lower it just way too much. She's ridden my WRR, but her initial reaction was that it just didn't jive with her. I think the CRF being a lower bike to begin with and having more torque down low compared to the WRR will work to her riding style better. I love how revvy the WRR engine is myself, but that's not how she rides. In stock form, she can get her feet down pretty good on the CRF. We are going to try the low Seat Concepts in hopes that we can just leave the suspension stock height on the CRF so she gets the most out of it. I just hope the extra weight of the CRF doesn't set her back at all.

We'll give an update once she has some seat time on it. Oh yeah, the CRF is so quiet stock! We enjoy quiet bikes.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 PM   #3382
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the link for the tank bag
Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #3383
kb7tgr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
We just picked up a 2013 CRF250L with 600 miles on it for my wife tonight, She's currently riding an XT225 that she's done the Eastern TAT on and other DS rides, so we'll see how the transition is from the XT to the CRF for her. I've got a WR250R and a DR650 so that's 4 DS bikes in our garage!

We are headed out to CO/UT this summer and she's got a few months to decide if the the little bit larger and heavier CRF will be okay before we sell the XT.

We had thought about a WRR for her too, but honestly its so tall and she's only 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam with a petite build, we'd have to lower it just way too much. She's ridden my WRR, but her initial reaction was that it just didn't jive with her. I think the CRF being a lower bike to begin with and having more torque down low compared to the WRR will work to her riding style better. I love how revvy the WRR engine is myself, but that's not how she rides. In stock form, she can get her feet down pretty good on the CRF. We are going to try the low Seat Concepts in hopes that we can just leave the suspension stock height on the CRF so she gets the most out of it. I just hope the extra weight of the CRF doesn't set her back at all.

We'll give an update once she has some seat time on it. Oh yeah, the CRF is so quiet stock! We enjoy quiet bikes.
Remember that if you put a lower seat on, the seat to peg distance of

courese gets less. And in doing so cramps the legs a bit. One of the ways

folks are lowering the CRF is to remove the shock and redrilling the lower

mount. It does lessen the ground clearance but a very easy lowering.
kb7tgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 AM   #3384
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7tgr View Post
Remember that if you put a lower seat on, the seat to peg distance of

courese gets less. And in doing so cramps the legs a bit. One of the ways

folks are lowering the CRF is to remove the shock and redrilling the lower

mount. It does lessen the ground clearance but a very easy lowering.
Yeah, but we are talking about someone that is only 5'4" to begin with. I don't think her seat to peg distance is all that great on the XT225.

I saw about drilling the rear shock, but from what I saw you can never lower the front enough to match so you end up with a bike that has a higher front and that means it always pushing in the turns. If you load it down with a bunch of gear for a long trip which squats the rear even more, it probably gets way worse in the handling. My wife is pretty aggressive on the XT, so I want to try to leave her as much suspension as possible. That was one of the reason for moving to the CRF is to get a bit more suspension under her, but of course the trade off is always a taller bike. For the most part, I'm not a fan of lowering bikes if you start dramatically changing the geometry.

If this doesn't work out, we'll just sell the CRF and actually put some money into the suspension on the XT225.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #3385
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
a nice small bag perfect for gps ..camera...

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?...&product_id=93 jus saying....
That really small tankbag probably gives more room when standing. I went with the Enduro (next size bigger) because its just big enough to hold water bottles and it has a map pocket to hold my GPS.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/...o-tank-bag.cfm
Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #3386
Gypsyangel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Yeah, but we are talking about someone that is only 5'4" to begin with. I don't think her seat to peg distance is all that great on the XT225.

I saw about drilling the rear shock, but from what I saw you can never lower the front enough to match so you end up with a bike that has a higher front and that means it always pushing in the turns. If you load it down with a bunch of gear for a long trip which squats the rear even more, it probably gets way worse in the handling. My wife is pretty aggressive on the XT, so I want to try to leave her as much suspension as possible. That was one of the reason for moving to the CRF is to get a bit more suspension under her, but of course the trade off is always a taller bike. For the most part, I'm not a fan of lowering bikes if you start dramatically changing the geometry.

If this doesn't work out, we'll just sell the CRF and actually put some money into the suspension on the XT225.
Besides all that, I stand up for 90% of my off road riding. It's how I was taught with motocross/trails and it's how I ride. So not much problem with leg cramps here. But thanks for the input as this may affect others reading this thread.

"Eight and a half miles can be covered in minutes with a car on the expressway, but what does a man see? What he gains in time he loses in benefit to his body and his mind."
--Dick Proenneke

States I've ridden in:

Gypsyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #3387
CRFSoCal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:

I just lowered the front forks about a 1/4 inch and I can tip toe only one foot. I am only 5'4" as well. I took some preload out of the spring to since I don't weigh that much. It's manageable now.
CRFSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #3388
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFSoCal View Post
I just lowered the front forks about a 1/4 inch and I can tip toe only one foot. I am only 5'4" as well. I took some preload out of the spring to since I don't weigh that much. It's manageable now.
She's got both her toes down in sneakers. She hasn't tried with her dirt bike boots yet. We plan on leaving the pre load pretty soft as she isn't that heavy either
Old 02-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #3389
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,061
Tank bags.

The Giant Loop fandango and other larger GL bag on fit the LRP nicely, are easy to remove for quick fueling, and don't interfere with standing.

Down side is mine have not been even close to waterproof, and they are pricey.

There's photos of them back a ways here or in the crf adv travelers thread.

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #3390
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
That really small tankbag probably gives more room when standing. I went with the Enduro (next size bigger) because its just big enough to hold water bottles and it has a map pocket to hold my GPS.

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm/...o-tank-bag.cfm
The mid sized Wolfman tankbags need to be set back a bit, otherwise the bar will touch at full lock, so that at least means you don't have to take it off to gas up. I'm going to the hardware store to get an S hook to attach to one of those plastic rings on top, so I'll have someplace to hang my gas cap while gassing up. The key c-ring should go right over it.

Wondering if the new IMS tank, or the Clarke will utilize the original gas cap, which comes right off, as opposed to the flip top caps I've had on recent bikes.

"I think I spent the dog food money, but he'll love me just the same. And if you really love me baby, you'll help me scrape the mucus off my brain". Ween

SAPB screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 11:08 AM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote