Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #3766
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
What are the two "C" shaped metal things in the middle? Are they pack racks?
Windshield brackets from TCI
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #3767
mcrosser
Only the truth

Oddometer: 12
My modified CRF250L for these interested

I read alot of reviews of what people have been doing and started to experiment with my CRF. I done every thing in step changes so I could tell what was worth doing and what made thing worse.
First change was to the air box, removed the blow back screen and dilled holes in the side of the air box cover from the center line forward. just seemed to make the bike louder, quite a bit of induction noise.
Put the Delta 4 exhaust system on. This made a big difference to the bottom and mid range, but the down side is the system is very loud.
Removed the exhaust air valve pipe work,and capped off the air box port and the cam cover port, but left the valve in plave and connected to the ECU to trick it in to thinking is still there working. This made a noticable difference to the pick up.
Went to API Tech near where I live in Bangkok and had one of their custom made ECU`s installed. Bloody hell what a difference. They asked me what the bike was like with the mods I had done and they asked what I wanted from the bike. They installed an extension to the standard ECU wiring loom, left the honda ECU in place and installed their ECU under the sea. The loom extension allow you to swap between the API ECU and the standard ECU. ($173 fitted)
They then mapped their base tuned with a different fuel air ratio, advanced the ingition to take in to account the heavier fuel load, and they increases the rev range within safe limits. One thing I will say is it`s made the bike even louder. Which is a problem and I may change to the Yoshimura system when I can get one.
The last change was to remove the 36mm throttle body (standard) and install the 38mm throttle body from a CBR250R, very easy job with only a minor re-routing of the fuel line. ($129 from Honda Dealer)
The bike has only done 570km from new and is only 3 month old. I will say that the mods have made a big difference to the way the bike feels. The biggest gain has been in the low and mid range power spread. It pulls the standard gearing alot better, but is still sensitive to strong head winds.
The chain does not like the extra power and is stretching like crazy even though I keep it well lubed. and since the API ECU was installed I have noticed a very slight clutch slip under hard mid range acceleration.
Removed the carbon emissions canister and left the solenoid valve electricly connected, rebolted it back to the frame. Capped off the port on the head inlet casting. This made a noticable difference.
Next month I`m going to get the bike on a dyno and have the power checked air ratio re-checked
Just a note of caution, be careful with the amount of plastic you remove from the air box. I have found that on top of the earlier mention side cover mod, removing the snorkel from the top of the airbox and opening up the hole by another 10mm across the diameter works well with my set up. Some people are saying about removing the top of the airbox. DONT do it, it made my bike run very weak and was far too loud.
I have removed some stuff to reduce the weight and made some cosmetic changes. Pictures will come later.
Anyway folks enough for now. I hope this helps the people who are thinking of modifing their CRF250L`s.

mcrosser screwed with this post 03-12-2013 at 08:06 PM
mcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #3768
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Can someone point me in the direction of how to determine max speed in each gear....?

I want to know how far I can take it without shifting on a regular basis....getting on the highway and such. So far Ive only been told "what feels right" but honestly upshifting at about 14-15 feels right and I know that it will do over 25 indicated in first. Im just afraid to blow it up!!

My buddy got his first bike today....DRZ400s. SOOO much faster than the LRP, but that will never get in the way
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #3769
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Finaly , read all 255 Page , have a CRF too , now for about 3 Weeks .

In former Time i was reading about the CRF mainly depend its a nice cheap Spare part Source for my XR's here in Thailand .

The upper and lower Triple clamp is about 65 USD here in Thailand at the Honda Dealership .
It fits the 83 XL600R Frame and the USD Forks from the XR250/400 .
(In Asia XR's have USD Forks from 2004 on )

That goes in my XL if i am back home , but the Forks (with XR Breaks and Axle will fit the CRF to . XR Axle is 17 mm , so for the use in the CRF the Bearings must be change in the CRF Front Wheel .

But all my XR's (250/280/600/XL600 )Stand hat Home looked away as
i came to Ayutthaya a few weeks back .
And here i get informed that the Project will need a little longer .
Just 5 Month insteed of 5 weeks .

So without a ride and the terrible Taxi situation here i go to the
Honda dealer opposide the Hotel drop 129000 THB on the Table
(about 4350 USD) and ride a new CRF out of the Show room 35 Min later .

20 km later i know that bike runs much to lean and pull the Plug on the Lamda Probe , much better .

removing the Air Intake snorkel , to loud and lose low end .
Cutting the Inner part of the Snorkel of and put the outer Part back and it runs nice now .

I am Impessed , that LRP run better as i had expect .

Did 1000 km already , Seelevel up to 1100 m .
450 Km on the first Day . No Problems at all .
Seat is nice for me , Shock/Fork O.K.

Try to order the Stage 1 Kit from BDSB , 359 USD for Shipping with UPS.
That is with Tax and inport duty 1/3 of the price for the bike , no way .
Got enough XR Parts at Home , so furter Mods have to wait .

First thing will be to put the Horn button where it shut be .
Under the Indicator . That Thing drive me Nuts .

Manrack /Skidplate i can do in my Workshop .
Change the Taillight and Indicators to LED no Problem that Parts are cheap here . Muffler , i try first a few from my XR'S .

@MCrosser
Where is API in Bangkok ?
I see Website before but can not find the location . GPS ??

Here is a Link to a Shop in Bangkok , they make 70 Differnt Decal Sets for the CRF .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 PM   #3770
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Double Post Sorry

Schrauberklaus screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 07:33 AM
Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #3771
mcrosser
Only the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post
Can someone point me in the direction of how to determine max speed in each gear....?

I want to know how far I can take it without shifting on a regular basis....getting on the highway and such. So far Ive only been told "what feels right" but honestly upshifting at about 14-15 feels right and I know that it will do over 25 indicated in first. Im just afraid to blow it up!!

My buddy got his first bike today....DRZ400s. SOOO much faster than the LRP, but that will never get in the way
I know this is not answering your question about max speed in each gear, but the CRF250L has a rev limiter set at 10,500 rpm so you shouldn`t blow it up
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #3772
mcrosser
Only the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Finaly , read all 255 Page , have a CRF too , now for about 3 Weeks .

In former Time i was reading about the CRF mainly depend its a nice cheap Spare part Source for my XR's here in Thailand .

The upper and lower Triple clamp is about 65 USD here in Thailand at the Honda Dealership .
It fits the 83 XL600R Frame and the USD Forks from the XR250/400 .
(In Asia XR's have USD Forks from 2004 on )

That goes in my XL if i am back home , but the Forks (with XR Breaks and Axle will fit the CRF to . XR Axle is 17 mm , so for the use in the CRF the Bearings must be change in the CRF Front Wheel .

But all my XR's (250/280/600/XL600 )Stand hat Home looked away as
i came to Ayutthaya a few weeks back .
And here i get informed that the Project will need a little longer .
Just 5 Month insteed of 5 weeks .

So without a ride and the terrible Taxi situation here i go to the
Honda dealer opposide the Hotel drop 129000 THB on the Table
(about 4350 USD) and ride a new CRF out of the Show room 35 Min later .

20 km later i know that bike runs much to lean and pull the Plug on the Lamda Probe , much better .

removing the Air Intake snorkel , to loud and lose low end .
Cutting the Inner part of the Snorkel of and put the outer Part back and it runs nice now .

I am Impessed , that LRP run better as i had expect .

Did 1000 km already , Seelevel up to 1100 m .
450 Km on the first Day . No Problems at all .
Seat is nice for me , Shock/Fork O.K.

Try to order the Stage 1 Kit from BDSB , 359 USD for Shipping with UPS.
That is with Tax and inport duty 1/3 of the price for the bike , no way .
Got enough XR Parts at Home , so furter Mods have to wait .

Manrack /Skidplate i can do in my Workshop .
Change the Taillight and Indicators to LED no Problem that Parts are cheap here . Muffler , i try first a few from my XR'S .

@MCrosser
Where is API in Bangkok ?
I see Website before but can not find the location . GPS ??

Here is a Link to a Shop in Bangkok , they make 70 Differnt Decal Sets for the CRF .
http://translate.google.com/translat...6topic%3D493.0
Here`s the address

It`s in a estate of Thai town houses, bit of a maze.

A.P.I Tech Shop
91/1346-7 M. 11 Soi. Ramintra 44, Nauanchan Road, Klongkum, Bungkum, Bangkok 10230

Its in off the 304 in between Fashion Island and the Chalong Rai Expressway
If your travelling from the direction of Fashion Island its a turning on the left soi44 (easy to miss smallish blue sign) (Rarm Intra 44)
Once your on 44 continue along to the hut in the middle of the road do a dog leg around the hut (police I think) and continue on 44.It should be the second on the left and then a second on the left. There is a big Thai house on the corner of the road and a motorcycle taxi stand on the opposite side.
It is very hard to find, but worth the effort. They are very helpful and friendly

I hope this helps. Good luck
Old 03-13-2013, 01:23 AM   #3773
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrosser View Post
Here`s the address

A.P.I Tech Shop
91/1346-7 M. 11 Soi. Ramintra 44, Nauanchan Road, Klongkum, Bungkum, Bangkok 10230

If your travelling from the direction of Fashion Island its a turning on the left soi44 (easy to miss smallish blue sign) (Rarm Intra 44)
Once your on 44 continue along to the hut in the middle of the road do a dog leg around the hut (police I think) and continue on 44.It should be the second on the left and then a second on the left. There is a big Thai house on the corner of the road and a motorcycle taxi stand on the opposite side.
It is very hard to find, but worth the effort. They are very helpful and friendly

Thank's for this information. I didn't know this place existed. From their web site the GPS co-ordinates are 13.838038,100.645022. If I knew how to copy a picture from Google Street I'd add a picture of the shop. It does seem like a maze through there.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #3774
mcrosser
Only the truth

[QUOTE=mcrosser;20933343]I read alot of reviews of what people have been doing and started to experiment with my CRF. I done every thing in step changes so I could tell what was worth doing and what made thing worse.
First change was to the air box, removed the blow back screen and dilled holes in the side of the air box cover from the center line forward. just seemed to make the bike louder, quite a bit of induction noise.
Put the Delta 4 exhaust system on. This made a big difference to the bottom and mid range, but the down side is the system is very loud.
Removed the exhaust air valve pipe work,and capped off the air box port and the cam cover port, but left the valve in plave and connected to the ECU to trick it in to thinking is still there working. This made a noticable difference to the pick up.
Went to API Tech near where I live in Bangkok and had one of their custom made ECU`s installed. Bloody hell what a difference. They asked me what the bike was like with the mods I had done and they asked what I wanted from the bike. They installed an extension to the standard ECU wiring loom, left the honda ECU in place and installed their ECU under the sea. The loom extension allow you to swap between the API ECU and the standard ECU. ($173 fitted)
They then mapped their base tuned with a different fuel air ratio, advanced the ingition to take in to account the heavier fuel load, and they increases the rev range within safe limits. One thing I will say is it`s made the bike even louder. Which is a problem and I may change to the Yoshimura system when I can get one.
The last change was to remove the 36mm throttle body (standard) and install the 38mm throttle body from a CBR250R, very easy job with only a minor re-routing of the fuel line. ($129 from Honda Dealer)
The bike has only done 570km from new and is only 3 month old. I will say that the mods have made a big difference to the way the bike feels. The biggest gain has been in the low and mid range power spread. It pulls the standard gearing alot better, but is still sensitive to strong head winds.
The chain does not like the extra power and is stretching like crazy even though I keep it well lubed. and since the API ECU was installed I have noticed a very slight clutch slip under hard mid range acceleration.
Removed the carbon emissions canister and left the solenoid valve electricly connected, rebolted it back to the frame. Capped off the port on the head inlet casting. This made a noticable difference.
Next month I`m going to get the bike on a dyno and have the power checked air ratio re-checked
Just a note of caution, be careful with the amount of plastic you remove from the air box. I have found that on top of the earlier mention side cover mod, removing the snorkel from the top of the airbox and opening up the hole by another 10mm across the diameter works well with my set up. Some people are saying about removing the top of the airbox. DONT do it, it made my bike run very weak and was far too loud.
I have removed some stuff to reduce the weight and made some cosmetic changes. Pictures will come later.
Anyway folks enough for now. I hope this helps the people who are thinking of modifing their CRF250L`s....

Here some picture of my LWP....

Old 03-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #3775
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Please share this with us as I too think the horn button is not positioned correctly...
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:34 AM   #3776
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Quote:
Here`s the address

A.P.I Tech Shop

Thanks , will try to find it if i get the Time
Old 03-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #3777
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Please share this with us as I too think the horn button is not positioned correctly...
I will get a second hand Light,Indicator,Horn Switch and change the stupid thing . Work required is depend on the switch i get . If you don't get the same
Model the discription i post is useless for you .

But with 5 Bikes where the Horn button is under the indicator switch and now one where the Horn Button is over the Indicator the change has to be done .
Don't want to horn every second time i need to use the indicator .

By the way , did some one run the tank completly dry until the Engine stops .
Like to know how many Kilometers (ore Miles ) the Bike do after the last Tank Baragraph start blinking .

Schrauberklaus screwed with this post 03-13-2013 at 07:50 AM
Old 03-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #3778
kdennan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
FYI
I just found out that Wolfman will be releasing sideracks for the new 250 by the end of the year. I don't yet have one of these cool little bikes, but this is a big selling point for me.
kdennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #3779
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by NesquikNinja View Post

Quote:
I know this is not answering your question about max speed in each gear, but the CRF250L has a rev limiter set at 10,500 rpm so you shouldn`t blow it up
As Mcrosser said, it has a rev-limiter so you shouldn't blow it up, but people usually don't make a habit of bouncing off the rev-limiter either.

NesquikNinja, I think you are analyzing this too much. Just ride the bike by how it feels and responds. You'll probably find that the power will drop off before the rev-limiter, especially on a stock bike, so why run it that high? If you are taking it easy, just short shift early and keep the revs lower and enjoy a more relaxed ride. If you want a bit more power in a certain situation, hold that particular gear longer or down shift if you are too high. As you ride the bike more, you'll learn where you have the best throttle response and when you can be in a higher gear and just "cruise" with ease.

I really don't understand your comment about not shifting on a regular basis? Its a 250 so one of the side effects is you usually have to shift more to stay in the power band. They just don't have the wider torque curve of larger bikes. When you get on the highway, you should probably be in top gear unless maybe you are making a pass and need to drop down to 5th. if you feel 6th gear doesn't pull you as you would expect on the interstate, then change the gear and maybe drop a tooth in the front to lower the overall gear ratio's.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #3780
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post

I really don't understand your comment about not shifting on a regular basis? Its a 250 so one of the side effects is you usually have to shift more to stay in the power band.
All I meant was how high I could rev it for everyday riding....sorry for the confusion and thank you for the input
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote