User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #376
hamonsax
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
PNW availability

Hi, I've been watching this thread, thinking the 250 would make a nice replacement for the departed KLR 650, as well as a stablemate for the Wee strom. I'm not having any luck finding one in the Portland area, not quite sure why...
Has anyone seen/ bought one in the Seattle/ Tacoma Western Washington area? Any info on actual pricing?
Thanks in advance!
hamonsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #377
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
These are nice and inexpensive:
http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-f...ll=1#post17929

I'm waiting for information on international availability. They're made in Thailand.

For the record, I bent my shifter 90 degrees to the outside and I straightened it with my foot. Not pretty but still works.
I have already bent my brake lever twice on the trails. Shell probably snap next time. I really wish the aftermarket would kick it into high gear already. We need parts people!!!!
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #378
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Here is the letter I received:

Hello, I'd like to thank you for you order of our new skid plate for the CRF250L. It has come to our attention that there is some issues with the first production run of these plates that we are in the process of resolving. Our new design will have better clearance on the left side and also allow for oil filter removal without removing the skid plate. As you were sent one of these first production versions we want let you know that you will be receiving a replacement skid plate with our updated design free of charge. This plate should ship within the next week. You are not required to reply or do anything further, and you may keep the plate you have. Feel free to call with any further questions or comments. Thank you for your patience and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Michael Gibbs
Ricochet Offroad
1-866-273-1197

That's good customer service, if you ask me.
a

Wow - that makes me wanna buy one and I don't even have a CRFL!!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #379
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downstater View Post
I won't know till I do it but I would think that the bike will still do 70 mph w/ the 13/45T setup without being wrung out.
By my reckoning, replacing the standard 14/40 gearing with 13/45 would mean the revs at 70 would give you a speed of 57 mph. Or alternatively, whatever speed you'd be doing at 8500, which is maximum power, to do the same speed you would be spinning it out to 10298. I wouldn't be too hasty with radical gearing changes if you want sit on 70.
And on a brighter note, I pick mine up on chooseday .:o:o:o
Woody2627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #380
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
By my reckoning, replacing the standard 14/40 gearing with 13/45 would mean the revs at 70 would give you a speed of 57 mph. Or alternatively, whatever speed you'd be doing at 8500, which is maximum power, to do the same speed you would be spinning it out to 10298. I wouldn't be too hasty with radical gearing changes if you want sit on 70.
Hmmm maybe I'll just stick with the 13/42 setup and see what the pipe and programmer do for some more pep. Thanks for the calculations.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #381
13Moose-man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Got a fmf pipe on order, can't wait! Anybody here have a fi programmer yet? The only one I've seen so far is at www.bestdualsportbikes.com. Good to hear ricochet is making good on those skid plates. More companies out there need service like that.
13Moose-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #382
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2627 View Post
Oh wow, if that true I won't be touching 13/45. Would still be interested to hear a review if someone does it. I guess more power it is, exhaust and programmer...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #383
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112

225 miles logged now. Did a quick ride with my buddy on some old four wheeler trails tonight.

Does anyone notice the valves getting louder at certain rpm? I wonder if I need to go ahead and adjust them early? Does anyone have a link to what tools I would need to purchase, and a link to a step by step guide or something?

On another topic, I would like to enter this bike in my first harescramble sometime soon. I would really like to send the rear shock off to someone to get revalved and a heavier spring added. Who would be the best company to send it to? Is there a better shock I can retro fit of another bike thats better? I would also like to have a spare set of wheels with a more aggressive sprocket and tires already installed. Are these wheels shared with any other bike?
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #384
dsn11487
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Question about FI programmers. I have never done this, do these units stay on the bike or do you plug them in change the mapping and then put the programmers away until u want to change the map again?. I ask because I have two of these bikes, and curious if I have to buy more than on programmer.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #385
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
DSN, most bike programmers I've seen are units that stay on the bike. There are some kinds that flash the computer in the car world ala ls1edit and such. I'm with you though I'd rather just flash it and forget about it.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #386
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Northern california

anybody up here in Northern California with a crf250L for test fit of new rack
Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #387
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Does anyone notice the valves getting louder at certain rpm? I wonder if I need to go ahead and adjust them early? Does anyone have a link to what tools I would need to purchase, and a link to a step by step guide or something?

Here's a quote from a review of the bike which might anwer you question (perhaps it just sounds like valves to you):

"In fact, the biggest noise it makes is on the over-run, EFI butterfly shut, where the whine of camchain and the meshing of primary gears actually out-competes the noise from the big muffler."

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-...#ixzz28LIuycwr

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #388
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Man that didnt take Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
anybody up here in northern california with a crf250l for test fit of new rack
done
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #389
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Dibs if anyone wants to get rid of the first-batch skid plate for a 'damaged goods' price
I appreciate that everyone wants a good deal, but if you guys feel that Ricochet is treating you right, don't sell your old ones to anyone. Treat your suppliers right so they are around for you later on.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #390
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
I appreciate that everyone wants a good deal, but if you guys feel that Ricochet is treating you right, don't sell your old ones to anyone. Treat your suppliers right so they are around for you later on.
I agree, and was not planning on it. They're only $99. That's a great price too.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote