Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM   #3976
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydkid View Post
Good day gents,

I hate this to be my first post but I bought my new 250l and took it down to Daytona Bike week. During the trip, I started getting a stall in lower revs. It would restart but it happened about 5 times randomly.

Then, I experienced the bike missing in higher rev 5 th gear. Furthermore, It was leaving a oil mark under the bike. Its losing oil somewhere and it will leave a few drips from engine guard drain hole. It's not coming from drain plug and its showing signs around clutch cover and shift shaft seal????

Back from trip and I had to drop it off at dealer. They found a nut sitting on case that had fallen off fuel pump at drop off. I'm waiting on what they find and hope to help someone else with finds.

Has anyone found any similar issues??????

I have worked for Honda dealership and sold Honda motorcycles past. I have never seen these kind of issues with new Honda.
Some have experienced oil that spit off the chain, and either puddled in the plastic "skid plate", or made it to a spot underneath where it's parked. Trainman said he had a leak, never heard what was up with that.

Fuel pump is in the tank, not sure what's up with that nut.

Some experience either stalling, or myself, backfiring/stalling, that seems to be hardly happening at all any more. Not sure if it's because the computer has been "learning" how to run correctly. Mine has never "missed" at higher revs, not sure what you experienced was "bouncing" off the rev limiter @ 10,500 RPM? Kind of hard to tell without a tach though.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 08:42 AM
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #3977
Billydkid
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks so much for the reply.

I just spoke to Honda tech and they are advising something wrong with fuel pump and there was fuel pressure issue and air getting into lines?? They also stated the oil they are finding is from shift shaft seal and alternator cover.

Parts on order.

I have 426 miles of on road break in
Pro tapper oversized CR high bars and FMF slip on upgrades.
Billydkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #3978
izzyblue
LOST

Oddometer: 61
New clutch, fresh tires and a change of oil.... My little LRP is ready to go explore Death Valley again!! thanks darling

3 more days and we're off

~ Nancy
izzyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #3979
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyblue View Post
New clutch, fresh tires and a change of oil.... My little LRP is ready to go explore Death Valley again!! thanks darling

3 more days and we're off

~ Nancy
Do not forget the camera! And to post cool photos after....
kiwi5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #3980
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I just installed my new SRmoto taillight. Man that OEM taillight is heavy. The install went smooth and the bike looks more like a dirt bike.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #3981
Charleston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Clutch

I may do the clutch mod and would be interested to hear what you folks that looked into it have learned. Iíve only notice slipping when I punch it on the street, it may happen in the dirt but I canít make out the difference between clutch and tire slip. I know that the CRF250L has a slightly beefed up CBR250 tranny and thought that the Judder spring clutch was to help lower the stress on the tranny even more by softening the peak load. When the tranny input shaft failed on my old BMW it left me stranded. A little clutch slip may not be so bad if it means I can still get home. What have you guys heard?

I blinked and missed about 100 pages so I apologize if this is has already been cussíed and discussed.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #3982
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston View Post
I may do the clutch mod and would be interested to hear what you folks that looked into it have learned. Iíve only notice slipping when I punch it on the street, it may happen in the dirt but I canít make out the difference between clutch and tire slip. I know that the CRF250L has a slightly beefed up CBR250 tranny and thought that the Judder spring clutch was to help lower the stress on the tranny even more by softening the peak load. When the tranny input shaft failed on my old BMW it left me stranded. A little clutch slip may not be so bad if it means I can still get home. What have you guys heard?

I blinked and missed about 100 pages so I apologize if this is has already been cussíed and discussed.
If the clutch on your bike is slipping, and it is still under warranty- then I would suggest you take it straight back to the dealer!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #3983
mcrosser
Only the truth

Oddometer: 12
[QUOTE=Charleston;21017659]I may do the clutch mod and would be interested to hear what you folks that looked into it have learned. Iíve only notice slipping when I punch it on the street, it may happen in the dirt but I canít make out the difference between clutch and tire slip. I know that the CRF250L has a slightly beefed up CBR250 tranny and thought that the Judder spring clutch was to help lower the stress on the tranny even more by softening the peak load. When the tranny input shaft failed on my old BMW it left me stranded. A little clutch slip may not be so bad if it means I can still get home. What have you guys heard?

[ Hi I noticed my CRF was doing the same this after I had done all my mods to the bike. It`s only just noticable at this stage. I did check the clutch cable adjustment and it did seem as if there was a very small amount of tension on the clutch cable with the clutch engaged (level out). I`ve adjusted the cable, and there does seem to be a difference. I will keep an eye on this. There is always the option of using the CBR clutch interals in the CRF clutch body.
Steve]
mcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM   #3984
Charleston
Adventurer

[ Hi I noticed my CRF was doing the same this after I had done all my mods to the bike. It`s only just noticable at this stage. I did check the clutch cable adjustment and it did seem as if there was a very small amount of tension on the clutch cable with the clutch engaged (level out). I`ve adjusted the cable, and there does seem to be a difference. I will keep an eye on this. There is always the option of using the CBR clutch interals in the CRF clutch body.
Steve][/QUOTE]

I have found that adjusting the freeplay did help some, but not completely. Iím wondering if changing the clutch from the half sized plate/Judder spring to the standard plate like the CBR would put too much stress on the transmission guts when ridden hard like we ride them. Maybe the clutch is designed to slip at high loads to protect the tranny from loads that it is not designed to take?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #3985
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,161
Quote:
I have found that adjusting the freeplay did help some, but not completely. Iím wondering if changing the clutch from the half sized plate/Judder spring to the standard plate like the CBR would put too much stress on the transmission guts when ridden hard like we ride them. Maybe the clutch is designed to slip at high loads to protect the tranny from loads that it is not designed to take?

I'll let you know, we have no judder spring in ours. Methinks no clutch is designed to slip when adjusted correctly and the lever is out, especially when going down the highway as you described.

There's a little talk about the judder spring a few pages back, and lots more if you do a google search. Granted, most of the thumper talk posts are racers or wannabe racers looking for something not all CRF250L owner would want in the feel of it.

I see the judder spring mod as being a tuning tool to have the clutch engage more abruptly, not something to overcome slipping that shouldn't be happening to begin with on a bike without a bunch of engine power mods.

More talk and info in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21008278

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #3986
mcrosser
Only the truth

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Steve]

[ I know honda beefed up the gearbox on the CRF due to the nature of off road riding compared to the CBR. They made the gears wider. Its a bit strange because the CBR`s are heavily tuned and raced in may Asian countries with no problems, they seem to handle the extra prower / torque ok. I know EBC make better quality fiction plates for the CBR that fit the CRF, so that may be an option ]
mcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #3987
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

How to grease swing arm

The title says it all, I've got the instructions and torque setttings for the linkage; just need some more info for the swingarm bearings.... Any help appreciated!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #3988
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
The title says it all, I've got the instructions and torque setttings for the linkage; just need some more info for the swingarm bearings.... Any help appreciated!
Swingarm pivot nut 88 (9.0, 65) [N-m, kgf-m, lbf-ft]
Shock arm to swingarm nut 74, (7.5, 55) [N-m, kgf-m, lbf-ft] {Apply engine oil to the threads}

You doing metric down there?

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #3989
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 356
Hi

The english owners manual say

Headlight H4 55/60 W

The Thai manual 12V 35/35W

Take my one out today , its H4 35/35 W

Looks like the weld in spark arestor is not the only difference
on the Model sold here in Thailand .

Replace it with a Osram Night Racer H4 55/60 W
Much better Light now.
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #3990
Charleston
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
I'll let you know, we have no judder spring in ours. Methinks no clutch is designed to slip when adjusted correctly and the lever is out, especially when going down the highway as you described.

There's a little talk about the judder spring a few pages back, and lots more if you do a google search. Granted, most of the thumper talk posts are racers or wannabe racers looking for something not all CRF250L owner would want in the feel of it.

I see the judder spring mod as being a tuning tool to have the clutch engage more abruptly, not something to overcome slipping that shouldn't be happening to begin with on a bike without a bunch of engine power mods.

More talk and info in this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post21008278
Your bike is ridden hard so this will be a great test. Thanks for leading the way. And the Traveler thread is very useful, thanks also for getting that started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
If the clutch on your bike is slipping, and it is still under warranty- then I would suggest you take it straight back to the dealer!

I only noticed the slip when in 2nd or 3rd gear at moderate speed on pavement and then nailed the gas wide open. Freeplay adjustment helped but if it gets worse I will take it to Honda as you suggested since my motor is stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrosser View Post

[ I know honda beefed up the gearbox on the CRF due to the nature of off road riding compared to the CBR. They made the gears wider. Its a bit strange because the CBR`s are heavily tuned and raced in may Asian countries with no problems, they seem to handle the extra prower / torque ok. I know EBC make better quality fiction plates for the CBR that fit the CRF, so that may be an option ]
Off-road is probably harder on the transmission because you can abruptly go from no traction to traction under full power like landing a jump. I wondered if Honda designed the clutch to take some of the shock out.