Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #4111
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
Please share this with us as I too think the horn button is not positioned correctly...
Replace today the left Switch to put the Horn Button where it has to be for my left thump .
Use a TOYO DENSO Switch (HM-32QB-T) found on many older Hondas like
the VFR 750 and two of my other Bikes .

Honda still use the same color coding on the wirering until today ,
so cutting the CRF Switch off and connect the wires to the switch i get
from the second hand Warehouse was easy .

Cut the wires , remove 15 mm insulation on each, twist same color together , solder it and insulate the connection with shrink tubing

The new (old) Switch don't have the emergency Button but came with
a very usefull high beam Dipswitch in front .

I don't use the switch in the Pic , i use the same model with out the Coke .
Its just a example how it look .

Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 AM   #4112
DesertDav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSideUp View Post
Anybody have any info on recent otd prices in the Southern California area?

I was told a while back by a dealer that their cost is only $100 below the $4,499 retail. Hard to believe.

Looks like I might just go buy out of state...
1)RubbersideUp, I was quoted 5917 OTD by the guy at the Orange dealership, and "around" 5600/5700 by Huntington beach Powersports Honda. I did NOT get a good vibe from talking to Berts at the Long Beach Motorcycle show, and honestly, I knew more about the bike than almost any dealership, but ESPECIALLY more than the guys at the "megamall" places. I personally wouldn't buy from them...and I didn't! lol
2)CRFSOCal, NOW I find out you might sell yours, after I drop a chunk of change on a G650GS? THANKS! lol j/k
3)BigAHelm90, if the cops are pricks where you live, why would you even consider getting a slip on? You have this urge to say "officers, here I am"? ;-)
DesertDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #4113
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Replace today the left Switch to put the Horn Button where it has to be for my left thump .

Cut the wires , remove 15 mm insulation on each, twist same color together , solder it and insulate the connection with shrink tubing

Wow, you had me going for a minute there. I had to go look at my bike to see if I had missed the fact that there was an "emergency" switch. Nope, not here in US. Not sure how many specs there are, US, and "other". So, you've got, that we don't:

Emergency switch
No spark arestor
Lower wattage headlight (not any more)

Took a ride on another bike today and hit the horn every time I went to use the blinkers!

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #4114
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:

Just wondering if you recall the low beam light wire color? Thanks!
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #4115
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNASTY View Post
Just wondering if you recall the low beam light wire color? Thanks!
dirty White 1 mm /2 there is only one
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #4116
JRNASTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
dirty White 1 mm /2 there is only one
Nice, thanks!
JRNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM   #4117
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
If anyone is looking for a good used CRF250L pm me. It has 1400 miles, first service, all stock parts, extra filters and gaskets, Evo slip on, EJK tuner, sprocket, and trials tires. If you can't pm yet you can call Texas Powersports of Pasadena, Tx, ask for Jake.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #4118
easygojoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Complete NOOB

Hi everyone. First post. I've been going through this forum and thread trying to learn as much as possible. I am nearly a complete Newbie to the Dual Sport world and Motorcycling in general (my only experience is a dirt bike for a few years as a teenager 30 years ago, and a few hours cruising on my brothers V65 Magna?, it's been a lot of years, but I do understand the basic concepts). I am absolutely convinced I am going to be buying one of these babies in the next 2-3 months, after I get my Oregon motorcycle endorsement next month.

I just want to explore the fire roads and get up to high places often. I love to go hiking and backpacking, but it takes me a full tank of gas in my pickup just to get up to the trailheads. So one of these bikes will be just the ticket.

I talked to my local dealer and he's never had one hit the floor. They pre-sell beforehand. So with some research I found a dealer 90 miles away that has 3, and he is probably who I will deal with when it comes time to buy. So my question to you all is: can somebody tell me what the overall lenght of the bike is? I mean from the leading edge of the front tire to the trailing edge of the rear?

The reason I ask is that when I go over to buy one, I think it would be best to trailer it home (I have a six foot utility trailer), rather than riding it home as a complete noob rider. I want to make sure it will fit in the trailer, either with the ramp removed or closed. It would be so much easier to get it in the trailer if it fits, than it would loading it in my pickup. I don't have any ramps and just me and my wife would have a rough time getting it out of the pickup at home.

Thanks so much in advance.
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #4119
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
easygojoe, welcome aboard, I measured 84" to 84 1/2" tire to tire, I would add another 4-5" for the license bracket if your trailer had a tailgate that was taller then the bracket. You could angle the bike on the trailer to get a little more room if needed.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #4120
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

easygojoe, coming from a old guy 68 and have just about every size dual sport out there you are going to really enjoy this bike. I think you will be very pleased with the performance and handling of the bike, some guys here do a lot of upgrades to the bike, I myself ride then in the stock form and add only protection and safety items to the bike, but each of us have are own way on how we like it, ie., make it your own. Can't believe there is a Honda dealer out there that has never had this model to sell, makes me wonder what type of dealer he is and where is his location. You will probably get a better deal on the dealer that has more to offer and has them on the floor to sell, don't wait too long as summer is upon us. Try to read as many post as you can, this will answer many question, but we here are always willing to help.

John
Old 04-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #4121
Treebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I got about the same measurement as Trainman, but a bit less on the
tail light overhang. Also as he mentioned, it can be loaded diagonal in
a short trailer.

Seriously, consider riding it home, 90 miles is not a big deal, trailering can form a bad habit
Treebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #4122
easygojoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
I got about the same measurement as Trainman, but a bit less on the
tail light overhang. Also as he mentioned, it can be loaded diagonal in
a short trailer.

Seriously, consider riding it home, 90 miles is not a big deal, trailering can form a bad habit

Thanks for the reply and measurement John! I've got 86 inches crossways in the trailer, so that could work, the deck is just about 16'' off the ground, so it would be easy to load.

Thanks also Treebone.

Seriously, you don't think it would be a little crazy just jumping on a new bike right after purchase and toodling 90 higway miles home, after not being on a bike for thirty years other than my little rider/skills course required by Oregon to get my endorsement? I've been reading through these forums and it seems like a lot of people tip these over just off from the dealership.
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #4123
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree with you, trailer it home and get the feel of a bike again around your neighborhood, expand your riding abilities day by day. Remember when going off road it a totally different ride, everything changes and the bike performs much different, take it slow at first. Ask about a off road training course when you take your other riding course, the instructor should be able to give you some input on this. Remember, never ride by yourself off road, it's too dangerous if something happens and yes you will fall, it' not if you will fall, it's when.

John
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #4124
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
easygojoe, coming from a old guy 68 and have just about every size dual sport out there you are going to really enjoy this bike. I think you will be very pleased with the performance and handling of the bike, some guys here do a lot of upgrades to the bike, I myself ride then in the stock form and add only protection and safety items to the bike, but each of us have are own way on how we like it, ie., make it your own. Can't believe there is a Honda dealer out there that has never had this model to sell, makes me wonder what type of dealer he is and where is his location. You will probably get a better deal on the dealer that has more to offer and has them on the floor to sell, don't wait too long as summer is upon us. Try to read as many post as you can, this will answer many question, but we here are always willing to help.

John
John, I believe the dealer stated they were all pre sold and did not hit the sales floor. My dealer's first was like that, took a deposit, it came in , was set up and new owner picked it up. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #4125
D-Real
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hey Easygojo, I had the same feelings when I bought mine and I was only 20miles from home. I wanted to read the owners manual, ride it around the yard etc...

I borrowed a pick up truck and bought some straps at the dealership for around twenty five dollars. They loaded it on the truck with a ramp, tied it down and sent me on my way.The tailgate wouldnt go up but it wasnt a problem.I just backed up to my porch when I got home, stacked some random bags of feed to make the drop off more gradual and rolled it off the back of the truck.

I'm getting more addicted ever time I take it out now. It defiantly reawakened some sense of freedom I'm loving this bike.
D-Real is offline   Reply With Quote