ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #4141
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Question, do any of you put a pad between the frame and the skid plate, say a strips of rubber on each frame rail.


John
I didn't on my Ricochet, not sure if you would need longer bolts for that.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #4142
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Thanks fellows, yes Nancy is quite the trooper and I'm very lucky to have such a great partner.

She does tip toe the bike a little, but with that said, the single biggest thing Jimmy Lewis pounded in everyone's head was only ONE foot down at any given time. I've always had that thought too, I can't flat foot both feet on any of my bikes and constantly practice balancing when coming to a stop, playing a game with how long I can not put down a foot.
We could lower the bike easily since it's easier to buy parts instead of dedicating time to learn, but for us having full travel of the suspension is very important for the kind of riding we do.
Not sure about the LRP stock configuration for rider weight, it seems most bikes are setup for 170-180 pounds methinks, we haven't touched our preload though.
On the LRP it feels like it has a very low COG and is easier to balance than my taller bike even though it's 50 pounds heavier. Folks that are concerned about flatfooting two feet are doing it all wrong and trying to make up for not having balance and control of the bike IMHO. One foot down, one foot on the peg, always.


Nancy learning balance with Jimmy, something we will continue to practice often, even if just in the driveway.


__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #4143
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks fellows, yes Nancy is quite the trooper and I'm very lucky to have such a great partner.

She does tip toe the bike a little, but with that said, the single biggest thing Jimmy Lewis pounded in everyone's head was only ONE foot down at any given time. I've always had that thought too, I can't flat foot both feet on any of my bikes and constantly practice balancing when coming to a stop, playing a game with how long I can not put down a foot.
We could lower the bike easily since it's easier to buy parts instead of dedicating time to learn, but for us having full travel of the suspension is very important for the kind of riding we do.
Not sure about the LRP stock configuration for rider weight, it seems most bikes are setup for 170-180 pounds methinks, we haven't touched our preload though.
On the LRP it feels like it has a very low COG and is easier to balance than my taller bike even though it's 50 pounds heavier. Folks that are concerned about flatfooting two feet are doing it all wrong and trying to make up for not having balance and control of the bike IMHO. One foot down, one foot on the peg, always.


Nancy learning balance with Jimmy, something we will continue to practice often, even if just in the driveway.


Looks like you replaced the other skid plate with a Ricochet.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #4144
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Yup, the other one didn't offer enough protection of the water pump inlet, we broke off the hose clamp on a previous DV ride, luckily I had a spare with us at the time. The Ricochet has been doing a great job of protecting the engine and has many battle scars right at the inlet. Ours is the old model that needs to be removed to change the oil filter, fine by me as I'll take more protection over a little convenience any day. No pad in between ours and the frame like John was asking.
I think it was you who posted about drilling a hole in it to accept the Enduro Star Trail Stand, thanks for that, I did the same but with two holes, one on the side one on the front... luckily we haven't needed to use it yet.





__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #4145
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Yup, the other one didn't offer enough protection of the water pump inlet, we broke off the hose clamp on a previous DV ride, luckily I had a spare with us at the time. The Ricochet has been doing a great job of protecting the engine and has many battle scars right at the inlet. Ours is the old model that needs to be removed to change the oil filter, fine by me as I'll take more protection over a little convenience any day. No pad in between ours and the frame like John was asking.
I think it was you who posted about drilling a hole in it to accept the Enduro Star Trail Stand, thanks for that, I did the same but with two holes, one on the side one on the front... luckily we haven't needed to use it yet.







Yeah, the bike seems to be pretty neutral when pushing it from the opposite side the towards the sidestand. EnduroStar says it's different depending on your bike, easy to get the rear up, but the front, you need to put a big rock or something on the rear to get it off the ground. Hopefully, only using it off road to lube the chain, but I've seen pics of folks who just laid the bike on the side to get the wheels off. Any flats to deal with in DV?
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf

SAPB screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 11:54 AM
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #4146
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Either hole seems to work OK to get the front wheel up without weighing down the rear, at least on flat ground, I like drilling crap and figured options were good.

When changing tires at home I just lift the bike up on a stand, so checking out the ES stand seemed like a good idea while I'm going through the bikes today.








No flats for us, but I did help change one tube on a ride I was leading, using the trail stand to hold the rear up.

__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #4147
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Either hole seems to work OK to get the front wheel up without weighing down the rear, at least on flat ground, I like drilling crap and figured options were good.

When changing tires at home I just lift the bike up on a stand, so checking out the ES stand seemed like a good idea while I'm going through the bikes today.








No flats for us, but I did help change one tube on a ride I was leading, using the trail stand to hold the rear up.

Looks like it's time to reduce more weight by drilling another hole. Waiting on a Tusk lift to properly adjust the chain, after doing the 13t front. While I'm at it, I'll do the TUbliss conversion on the rear. Out there is one thing, but when you have proper equipment at home, way easier.
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #4148
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer
 
SAPB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Oddometer: 1,593
Lost...

What weights are you using to counterbalance the rimlock, chewing gum, and piano wire?
__________________
C14 - CRF250L, always cleaned while it's raining

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #4149
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
What weights are you using to counterbalance the rimlock, chewing gum, and piano wire?






No, just some crimp on weights that have seen lots of use, getting moved around from bike to bike.
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #4150
Lapchik
Tinkeritis posterboy
 
Lapchik's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Iowa
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
John, I believe the dealer stated they were all pre sold and did not hit the sales floor. My dealer's first was like that, took a deposit, it came in , was set up and new owner picked it up. Bill C

Midamerica motoplex in Sioux Falls said I got the last one they had, and they won't get any more in until June. They were trying to get two bikes from western North Dakota in. They are getting hard to find for sale in the US right now.
Lapchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #4151
topping
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Oddometer: 19
Clutch

Hello again

I have another clutch problem. I have recently replaced my clutch plates for new stock plates because i burnt them out when i damaged my hand guards and didn't release my clutch leaver wasn't releasing all the way.


Now, I have only been on about 2 or 3 trail rides since the change and mostly allot of commuting and road riding.

So I decided to open it up and gun it down the carriageway today and the clutch is spinning out again?

What could be my problem do i need better quality plates and springs ?

Regards
Phil
__________________
Honda CRF250L
topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #4152
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by topping View Post
Hello again

I have another clutch problem. I have recently replaced my clutch plates for new stock plates because i burnt them out when i damaged my hand guards and didn't release my clutch leaver wasn't releasing all the way.


Now, I have only been on about 2 or 3 trail rides since the change and mostly allot of commuting and road riding.

So I decided to open it up and gun it down the carriageway today and the clutch is spinning out again?

What could be my problem do i need better quality plates and springs ?

Regards
Phil


Do you have enough clutch free play? In other words when you feel the cable on the lever going in the clutch housing is there a little slack? Even ours when it came brand new had very little slack until I loosened it.
Clutch freeplay is something that should be checked regularly since as a clutch wears more slack is needed.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but do you happen to slip the clutch with the lever at high RMP's to get started though? That would be a sure way to make it wear out fast.

if you end up replacing the pads again, you could try the EBC pads, they should be available in the UK, part numbers are in the CRF250L Adventure thread. Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock pads and plates for non-heavily modded bikes, only either incorrectly adjusted clutches or operator error. Of course the reason your first one wore out makes sense also.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=859691&page=3

Good luck!
__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #4153
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 378
Question Trail Stand

Hey Team Lost! Awesome photos as per usual What are the dimensions of your trail stand? What is it made out of? Absolutely perfect tool for changing tires in the field, I've got a piece of wood to hold the rear tire up but have struggled with how to hold the front up. Looks like problem solved.....please send details!
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #4154
Lost Rider
Unsubscribed.
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Hey Team Lost! Awesome photos as per usual What are the dimensions of your trail stand? What is it made out of? Absolutely perfect tool for changing tires in the field, I've got a piece of wood to hold the rear tire up but have struggled with how to hold the front up. Looks like problem solved.....please send details!


Thanks Kiwi!

The stand collapses down to about 10 inches, I believe is steel and is the perfect tool for the job, you can get one here:

http://www.endurostar.com

I do believe enduro star has a vendor thread offering ADV discounts if you can find it in the Vendors Forum.



While I'm at it, the other tool that's priceless for changing tires on the LRP or any bike very quickly is one of these:






http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FeeDQgod9icATQ


Cheers





Go LRP!


__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #4155
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 378
Thanks for that, you know I always insert the valve stem first and then work the rest of the tube in so I've never had to use one of those tools- but having said that my technique is to break the bead on both sides so I can push the rim into the tire. Gives me more room to work the tube in. I'm assuming you only break the bead on one side when changing out the tube?
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015