Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #406
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Thanks! So it's the longer of the two?
No, it's the shorter. It's worked fine for me. I don't see my shoulders at all.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #407
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
[QUOTE=Balkan Boy;19751635]I don't like how Giant Loop's Great Basin sits on this bike. At least not for day trips when there isn't much stuff in it. It also sits a bit asymmetrically because of the exhaust.

Someone asked about luggage on ThumperTalk already - this is what I tried so far.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/979...t__p__10311486

I bought the Giant Loop Mojavi, more room for tools and spares as I've managed to get get a total of 4 flat tires on this little bike so far and I loath the idea of getting a flat again in the middle of nowhere with no spare tube or patch kit or pump. The MoJavi fits good and I'm real impressed with the build quality, but not really big enough for a camping trip, maybe in conjunction with a back pack and tank bag. Love this little mule, and kudos to Ricochet for the email I got, that's pretty damn good customer service.

Wargasm screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 04:07 PM
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #408
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Asked my boss if I could get off 30min early to run an "errand". Hit up the new single track spot. Made it home at the usual time :)

itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #409
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 825
for those of us in colder climes....

With winter coming....Has anyone tried to run any heated gear yet? Will the bike handle something small like a heated vest? I am hpoing yes, because (so I've heard/read) that there are heated grips available as an option from honda as well, so it may do fine running a vest instead.

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #410
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Even if my 30 inch inseam (unable to flat foot) would allow me to have one of these 250L's....8k on oil!....NEVER.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #411
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Heated Gear

The output wattage is 337, but most of the suppliers say right on their sites that vests should be wired right to the battery. While I'm still waiting on delivery of my CRFL, I ride my other bike with heated gear. This morning it was 47 degrees here. I have a vest, and gloves that i got here: http://www.powerlet.com/products.php...FURxQgodQA4Alg

The gloves plug into the vest, but I found that to get the gloves warm enough, the vest was frying me. Then I picked up the dual controller, so I can run them independently. Now I hardly ever use the vest (not this morning), a warm jacket seems to do the trick. As the day warms, you can turn them down. I have the controller clipped to the side of my Chase Harper magnetic tank bag, which should work with the CRF also. I rode to another dealer yesterday, and scoped out the bike, first time I've seen on in person, sweet. Might have to make a little notch in the battery cover so the wire doesn't get pinched, or snake the wire to come out in front of the tank, like I've got on my other bike.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #412
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Tank pannier photos

I installed the Wolfman tank panniers last night, and did a test ride today. I'm not sure I like them. They impede my legs from getting close to the tank. I'm going to try and move them forward some, but then, they might block the airflow through the radiator. I'll try repositioning them. They would make great saddlebags too.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #413
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

MPG question

I ran the tank until it started flashing. It took 1.49gal. I had 89.3 on the trip meter for 59.9MPG. I'm 220 and not on the throttle hard. What have you guys been getting.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #414
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I ran the tank until it started flashing. It took 1.49gal. I had 89.3 on the trip meter for 59.9MPG. I'm 220 and not on the throttle hard. What have you guys been getting.
I've been averaging around 71 mpg. Had 57 miles on the trip and added .80 gal yesterday. I'm lighter than you by 50lbs.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #415
andrew1101
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm really interested in this bike. My nearby dealer has offered it for $5500 out the door here in southern California, this price seems high. Any thoughts on how far down he'll likely go?

I'm really interested in getting this bike as a short commute bike to my local community college and back home. I live in a small town out in the desert, the country roads out here are asphalt with a 55mph speed limit. Since we're an agriculture community, alot of the off-road driving nearby is restricted to ditchbanks lining the canals and field service roads. The consistency of which is generally that of an unpaved road.

I am 6'4" and weigh 175lbs (think tall and skinny). I'm new to motorcycles, completed the MSF course about 3 months ago. I've sat on the bike, and it seems to have a pretty good fit for me. I'm interested in buying new, I want to have fun without the maintenance of an old bike and most of the used bikes around these parts are very large-bore designed for the sand in Arizona or aren't street legal. I'm not a power freak, I just want something that can handle 55mph roads, able to go into town for short trips to friend's houses and such, and is able to get me along the unpaved roads out near the fields.

Just an fyi: My original thought was a suzuki tu250x, but seeing as it's not available in California...well anyways. The dealer also has a used 2009 KLR 650 (with only 1k miles) going for $4300 OTD. The next closest dealer to me is about 2 hours drive away.

Any thoughts?
andrew1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #416
Downstater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1101 View Post
I'm really interested in this bike. My nearby dealer has offered it for $5500 out the door here in southern California, this price seems high. Any thoughts on how far down he'll likely go?

I'm really interested in getting this bike as a short commute bike to my local community college and back home. I live in a small town out in the desert, the country roads out here are asphalt with a 55mph speed limit. Since we're an agriculture community, alot of the off-road driving nearby is restricted to ditchbanks lining the canals and field service roads. The consistency of which is generally that of an unpaved road.

I am 6'4" and weigh 175lbs (think tall and skinny). I'm new to motorcycles, completed the MSF course about 3 months ago. I've sat on the bike, and it seems to have a pretty good fit for me. I'm interested in buying new, I want to have fun without the maintenance of an old bike and most of the used bikes around these parts are very large-bore designed for the sand in Arizona or aren't street legal. I'm not a power freak, I just want something that can handle 55mph roads, able to go into town for short trips to friend's houses and such, and is able to get me along the unpaved roads out near the fields.

Just an fyi: My original thought was a suzuki tu250x, but seeing as it's not available in California...well anyways. The dealer also has a used 2009 KLR 650 (with only 1k miles) going for $4300 OTD. The next closest dealer to me is about 2 hours drive away.

Any thoughts?
KLR's r tanks and from my experience are aweful off road. Ide go with the crfl. I wouldnt pay more than 5k otd with taxes prep and all the other BS fees.
Downstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #417
Wargasm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post

I'm getting a little less but I weigh 240lb and am very throttle happy.
Wargasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #418
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1101 View Post

Any thoughts?
I paid $5.5K OTD for mine, and if I hadn't the guy standing behind me would have. Not saying it's impossible to get one in SoCal for $5K, but it's gonna take a lot more time and patience ( neither of which I had ) for that to happen than walking in the door and offering it.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #419
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
$5,279 OTD, and they deal with registration. The first one they had was gone, so I put 10% down to get the next one.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #420
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
I paid $4914 to the dealer & this state's government rip off came to another $400
I'm at 90 miles and still showing 2 bars on the fuel gauge. Since it's new, I'm shifting between 4-5 k rpm,
( after a lot less in the first 20 miles.)
I'm running the works connection tach/hour meter, and its working very well.

I'm always using a tank bag instead of other forms of luggage, and the Wolfman Explorer standard size works perfectly for me. You can see here also the 1/8" aluminum skidplate I'm developing for the CRF250L
In the standard volume

In the expanded volume

Bake screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 04:32 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote