Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #4201
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Highly recommend you do the basic snorkel & spark arrestor screen removal with you EJK - you will need the extra air to compliment the extra fuel the EJK will give the engine. I absolutely noticed a performance increase with the airbox mods. But then again, was I influenced by the extra noise?? I will call EJK and report back.

kiwi5 screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 10:08 PM
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 PM   #4202
Boismj03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Highly recommend you do the basic snorkel & spark arrestor screen removal with you EJK - you will need the extra air to compliment the extra fuel the EJK will give the engine. I absolutely noticed a performance increase with the airbox mods. But then again, was I influenced by the extra noise?? I will call EJK and report back.

Thanks m8
Old 04-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #4203
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
I need to replace my rear tire soon. I live in Arizona so most of my offroad travels are hard pack and rocky. (very rocky) I do ride it on the pavement (mostly to get to the dirt) The front looks to be in good shape. I also thought a little wider rear tire might be good also.. any suggestions will be appreciated. The ODO reads 2,011 miles

Thanks
For hardpack, rocks, and pavement? Kenda K270. Some people are getting over 10K miles out of this inexpensive and capable rear tire. Mine even propels my DR650 in powdery sugarsand, even if it's no paddle tire. Many don't like the front K270 in paved turns though, as it squirms when leaned over. I don't notice this issue with the rear K270.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #4204
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post
For hardpack, rocks, and pavement? Kenda K270. Some people are getting over 10K miles out of this inexpensive and capable rear tire. Mine even propels my DR650 in powdery sugarsand, even if it's no paddle tire. Many don't like the front K270 in paved turns though, as it squirms when leaned over. I don't notice this issue with the rear K270.
The Kenda K270 and Shinko SR244 are good tires on dry, hard surfaces. However, don't take these tires into the mud, where they are terrible.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #4205
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

I am planning on a 270 rear, for the mainly gravel roads I ride I'm not sure what to go with on the front however....I've got a set of MotoZ Tractionators for serious offroad but maybe a Pirelli MT21 Rally Cross on the front for the gravel would be good.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #4206
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for that, Pirelli rallycross rear it will be, great news that the Tractionator front works good on the road!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #4207
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I'd run the tractionator front, MT21 rear. The tractionator rear works great off road, but not on the street.
I've had the tractionator front up to 65mph with no problems.

Ya can't beat the MT21 front..

Tractionators..

that's the Tractionator I/T, great traction but didn't last too long, the Desert H/T is awesome for dry conditions and lasts a lot longer. Good on pavement too, front and rear.

I/T new

800 miles

Desert H/T, probably 1000 miles on this one.

Different bikes so not a direct comparison, but the H/T will last longer and is good on pavement if you ride in only dry conditions. Next time around we'll try the Tractionator H/T on the LRP to see how it compares to a D606, Very happy with the Scorpion XC front for now, though I liked the Tractionator front too.... lots of good choices now a days for DOT tires!

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #4208
xjon
Pedantic Bastard

Oddometer: 386
brake lever suggestions...

[/IMG]recently purchased a 250l and had a great day on the trail. However dismounting from a hitch rack at home was its first fall (with me) and broke the lever clamp. I know I can just replace the clamp part but I would like to replace the levers with ASV or something (2-3 fingers). I do not know what I need specifically since Ive never looked at replacing one before. I got confused with all the selections such as with or with out hot starts???

Also I would need a mirror mount also and was thinking of folding ones. Any recommendations?

I would also like to get the beefy hand guards and would like to know if anyone here has a combination of all of these together and if they like or dislike the setup.

thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #4209
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Highway Dirt Bike has some of the strongest hand guards with good integrated mirrors out there.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

can't help you with levers beyond OEM, it's a dirt bike, no idea what ASV is... perfect example of what getting ride of those OEM mirror is a good idea though. One fall away from breaking other crap.

Welcome to the asylum of CRF 250L owners.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #4210
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjon View Post
...I know I can just replace the clamp part but I would like to replace the levers with ASV or something (2-3 fingers). I do not know what I need specifically since Ive never looked at replacing one before. I got confused with all the selections such as with or with out hot starts???

Also I would need a mirror mount also and was thinking of folding ones. Any recommendations?

I would also like to get the beefy hand guards and would like to know if anyone here has a combination of all of these together and if they like or dislike the setup.

thanks in advance.
I haven't installed short levers, but I do know you don't need the "hot start" option. "Hot start" levers are only used with carburetors, and your CRF250L employs fuel injection.

A new clutch perch might contain a mirror mount. If not, you have several options. You can purchase the Moose Racing Universal Mirror Mount to replace the rear part of the clamp.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...h-Perches.aspx

However, you can also purchase the less expensive, BikeMaster T2 Handlebar Mirror Adapters.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Adapters.aspx

Finally, you can do as I did, and install the back halves of complete mirror perches which I purchased on eBay for $6/pair. They fit the brake and clutch perches on my CRF250X perfectly.

For folding mirrors, you might consider the following products, not necessarily in this order.

Doubletake Mirrors

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571500

KTM Folding Mirrors

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357336

Ken Sean/Bikemaster Folding Mirrors

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster...FUTZQgodsncAWw

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:33 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #4211
Tnutt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Triple clamp handguards

Im trying to decide if it is better to grt the triple clamp mounted handguard or just the regular ones that mount to the handlebars? Has anyone tried the triple clamp if so what brand handguards did you use?
Tnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #4212
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
13t

Slapped the 13t on today, probably took about half an hour. I didn't even need to slacken the chain to get the 14 out. Took it for a short 30 mile ride thinking I wouldn't need heated gloves, but found out I should have. It has noticeably more pep, way less clutch slipping required to get going in 1st gear now. Off road, way less need to go down to 1st gear anymore, like I used to have to do. No other power mods. It seems to be 34 mph indicated is Garmin 30, 39 mph is 35 Garmin. I'm going to get all the major speed limit markers down, then either put it on masking tape, or just Sharpie marker it right inside my Cycra guard, because lots of times around town, I don't use the Garmin. This may be enough for me, but I'll ride it for a while before deciding on a 42t for the rear. Supposed to hit 70 here Tuesday!

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #4213
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boismj03 View Post
taillight
http://soloracer.com/crf250ledge.html

rack
http://soloracer.com/crf250lcargo.html
I cut one of the rear spacers in half to mount with the tail light kit....it fits perfect
Does your foot brake activate the brake light? I just noticed after having mine on for 2 weeks that my foot brake does not activate the brake light. The hand brake works. I doubled checked my connections and everything looks good.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #4214
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnutt View Post
Im trying to decide if it is better to grt the triple clamp mounted handguard or just the regular ones that mount to the handlebars? Has anyone tried the triple clamp if so what brand handguards did you use?
I think the triple clamp front mounts are the shizzle. They seem much sturdier than bar mount setups. I bought the Cycra Pro Bend Bar Pack. It comes without the clamps and the triple tree mounts are separate. They go on very easily and there is no bending required. Just my $0.02....
2013 CRF 250L
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #4215
Boismj03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago52 View Post
Does your foot brake activate the brake light? I just noticed after having mine on for 2 weeks that my foot brake does not activate the brake light. The hand brake works. I doubled checked my connections and everything looks good.

Thanks
Yes it does, it does everything shown in this video:
http://soloracer.com/crf250ledge.html