Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #4456
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbeoutdoors View Post
i am going to grease the suspension linkages due to the comments about them not being lubed well. I have never done it before and hopefully wont run into problems. I am wondering about the swingarm bearings though, do they need to be greased right away too? taking the swingarm off seems like a lot to take apart and I don't want to do more harm than good. anyone?
I took my bike to a local race mechanic and he did what was called new bike prep. He did the steering tube bearings and both axle and wheel bearings the swing arm and suspension linkage for $125.00

I felt that was very reasonable considering how long it would have taken me to do all that.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #4457
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Anyone Have a CRFL BIG BORE kit OTHER than Rick Ramz?

Looking for any performance results or issues, did a search on this forum, could only pull up brief posts from last year, and some comments on rick site. Apologies if I just skipped over this.

Thanks!
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #4458
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by willbeoutdoors View Post
i am going to grease the suspension linkages due to the comments about them not being lubed well. I have never done it before and hopefully wont run into problems. I am wondering about the swingarm bearings though, do they need to be greased right away too? taking the swingarm off seems like a lot to take apart and I don't want to do more harm than good. anyone?

Yes, do the swingarm bearings as well. Pretty easy to do the swingarm bearings- I had our mechanic show me when he did this on our CRF250L at work. Basically the steps are: Remove chainguard (and mudguard covering rear shock if you want to see what is going on but not necessary), unscrew rear brake hose from swingarm to give you some play, take out top dogbone bolt and bolt that attached to bottom of shock (this will allow the swingarm to drop down), then remove the swingarm pivot bolt, at this point push the rear wheel and swingarm forward- this will give you the slack to remove chain, now pull rear wheel and swingarm back, the swingarm now drops down and you can wipe out the non-grease that is in there and pack in new grease. Re-assemble in reverse order and don't forget to grease the swingarm bolt. He did all of this in a matter of minutes. I will do mine this weekend. The linkages are pretty easy to do as well. Hope this makes sense.....now you have to figure out how to do the steering bearings! I'm going to have a mechanic do the steering bearings on mine...might be a step to far for me! NOTE: You will need some sort of bike stand to do this.
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #4459
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just installed my FMF Q4 today. Really enjoying the power gains so far. Got about +2MPH with the spark arrester in and about +5 with it out. Ill be adding the the 13 tooth tomorrow.

Tried out a new route to school today (90mile round trip). I found out I can avoid about 60% of the high ways without going anywhere posted and it only takes me an extra 10 minutes maybe even less now that I know my way. Ill be taking the scenic route from here on out

damnit, how do I add pics
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #4460
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Cool2 Wolfman side racks installation.

I installed the Wolfman side racks today. $289 shipped, from ebay, drop shipped from Wolfman.

What comes in the box.

You had to remove the battery box to frame bolt, and pry the box back a bit to replace the pin in the passenger footrest with a bolt. This is what you get. I didn't think about protecting it with something.

It was said that I would lose the use of my Manracks Rotopax rack. That is not the case. I got longer bolts for the seat attach point, used the Manracks spacers against the frame and the Wolfman spacers against the top rack. It worked out well. I also replaced the Wolfman supplied hex cap bolts with flanged bolts. I had replaced the Manracks supplied rear attach bolts with flanged bolts, and I reused these for the rear attachment for the sideracks to the top rack.

Everything else went together with little problem. Directions were adequate for the task. I will be using the Monarch Pass bags. With the Rotopax mount, I have three Rotopax options now.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.

G19Tony screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 07:12 AM
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #4461
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Jesse MonoArm rack

Nice looking rack. I'm testing a prototype Jesse Luggage 'MonoArm' rack on mine. Uncharacteristically hefty for a Jesse mount - the finished ones will be lighter (the tail rack was on the bike - an Alphathree - but mounts without it).

Doesn't have the back brace but it's designed to pivot a bit and so far has survived a couple of hundred miles in and around Death Valley fully loaded with my Magadans.

Best thing is it's a platform or 'ledge' rack which I believe is the way to do it; the weight rests rather than hangs. The MonoArm can take anything hard or soft.

Pics got lost but I've chosen to mount the bags semi-permanently to the plate which slots into the lower MonoArm mount and bolts (or later, locks with a QRDP) to the tail rack. Takes 5 mins to remove or fit and means more weight to carry into motel rooms, unless camping or a place feels secure enough to just lift out the Magadan liners to take indoors.

Ch

Chris S screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 01:23 PM
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #4462
cat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Most of the new clip style masterlinks almost need a press to get the side plate on. After the clip is on properly, put a very slight bit of press...but in the opposite direction to PINCH the clip tight in it's groove. Then add a bit of 0.025" SS safety wire around the narrow part of the side plate and the clip. It won't come loose any time soon!
Please take a photo of yours sometime, just so we can see exactly how you do it. 0.025", i must convert that to mm and get some.
hmm, that reminds me, i've been waiting for the shop where i got a DID 520 VX2 chain to get spare masterlinks. i had thought, from something i read, that the OEM chain had a clip masterlink, and i thought that i hadn't been able to see it because it was too dark in the garage, and i thought ...250...clip masterlink will be ok, i just need some spare clips (because i think they get a bit messed up when you take them off and put them on)...and then i found that the OEM chain on my bike did not have a masterlink, it is "continuous".

cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 AM   #4463
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
I installed the Wolfman side racks today. $289 shipped, from ebay, dropped shipped from Wolfman.

What comes in the box.

You had to remove the battery box to frame bolt, and pry the box back a bit to replace the pin in the passenger footrest with a bolt. This is what you get. I didn't think about protecting it with something.

It was said that I would lose the use of my Manracks Rotopax rack. That is not the case. I got longer bolts for the seat attach point, used the Manracks spacers against the frame and the Wolfman spacers against the top rack. It worked out well. I also replaced the Wolfman supplied hex cap bolts with flanged bolts. I had replaced the Manracks supplied rear attach bolts with flanged bolts, and I reused these for the rear attachment for the sideracks to the top rack.

Everything else went together with little problem. Directions were adequate for the task. I will be using the Monarch Pass bags. With the Rotopax mount, I have three Rotopax options now.

Looks good Tony. I was going to go with the E-12, but now I'm going to take a ride to where I can see the options side by side. Hey the weather is getting better for that here finally, 2 1/2 hour ride. Can you get at the "tool kit" door open enough the access? I've got a Wolfman tank bag already, and really like it. Thanks.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #4464
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
Please take a photo of yours sometime, just so we can see exactly how you do it. 0.025", i must convert that to mm and get some.
hmm, that reminds me, i've been waiting for the shop where i got a DID 520 VX2 chain to get spare masterlinks. i had thought, from something i read, that the OEM chain had a clip masterlink, and i thought that i hadn't been able to see it because it was too dark in the garage, and i thought ...250...clip masterlink will be ok, i just need some spare clips (because i think they get a bit messed up when you take them off and put them on)...and then i found that the OEM chain on my bike did not have a masterlink, it is "continuous".
I just went and looked (with a flashlight), and there doesn't seem to be a link in my chain either. I'll look in the daylight later to be sure. The cement floor in the garage wasn't very warm. Still, I'd like to see safety wire pics, Ed. On the clip just like with snap rings, it's flat side out, the other side is rounded.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #4465
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
Nice looking rack. I'm testing a prototype Jesse Luggage 'MonoArm' rack on mine. Uncharacteristically hefty for a Jesse mount - the finished ones will be lighter (the tail rack was on the bike - an Alphathree - but mounts without it).

Doesn't have the back brace but it's designed to pivot a bit and so far has survived a couple of hundred miles in and around Death Valley fully loaded with my Magadans.

Best thing is it's a platform or 'ledge' rack which I believe is the way to do it; the weight rests rather than hangs. The MonoArm can take anything hard or soft.

Didn't get a very good shot beforehand (bottom pic) but I've chosen to mount the bags semi-permanently to the plate which slots into the lower MonoArm mount and bolts (or later, locks with a QRDP) to the tail rack. Takes 5 mins to remove or fit and means more weight to carry into motel rooms, unless camping or a place feels secure enough to just lift out the Magadan liners to take indoors.

Just got my L running right after messing about with noisy pipes, drilled out air boxes and the nifty EJK. More CRF impressions on the website.

Ch

This is also a nice rack, more and more available for our little mule. Nothing at first, but I think the aftermarket is smarting up to the fact they are going to sell a bunch of these.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #4466
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat View Post
CAT: I do not have an account to post pix, but will photograph the safety wiring and send it to you. YES, the CRF has a pressed masterlink. It is probably distinguished as a link with a dimple centered of the pins to hold the side plate on with. As has been mentioned before, make sure any clip-style master link you use matches the chain...the service manual says it is DID520VF. I'm 99% sure it is an O-ring chain...and double check the chain itself..."DID" ought to be on the side plates. If you replace the original link you will destroy it in the process....but you may be able to save the O-rings. You are absolutely corect that putting the clip on and off a couple times is about all it has for a "useful life". And 0.025" x 25.4 = 0.635mm. Personally I am not going to mess with the stock chain for at least 10,000 miles, and will never do anything other than the 13/40 and 14/40 sprocket combos. If I do like 13/40 gearing when it's time to replace the chain, I'd go with 14/43 or 14/45 as I do not like small countershaft sprockets
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #4467
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Looks good Tony. I was going to go with the E-12, but now I'm going to take a ride to where I can see the options side by side. Hey the weather is getting better for that here finally, 2 1/2 hour ride. Can you get at the "tool kit" door open enough the access? I've got a Wolfman tank bag already, and really like it. Thanks.
No, you cannot get to the tool kit door. I don't keep anything in there anyway. I have E-12's, and they are great. I might use them on the CRF230, if I don't use the GL Mojavi's. I have the small Wolfman tank bag too. It's perfect! This will be a great setup for moto camping, I think.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #4468
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Highway Dirt Bikes

Has anyone put HDB handguards on their CRFL? What size top clamp did you use?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #4469
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
No, you cannot get to the tool kit door. I don't keep anything in there anyway. I have E-12's, and they are great. I might use them on the CRF230, if I don't use the GL Mojavi's. I have the small Wolfman tank bag too. It's perfect! This will be a great setup for moto camping, I think.
I have one of these, that I found on the toolkit thread, but I've not yet mounted in place of the standard tool case, and it opens from the end, so maybe that will work. I think Lost has done this.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...-seal/p/67670/

Old 04-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #4470
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
I have one of these, that I found on the toolkit thread, but I've not yet mounted in place of the standard tool case, and it opens from the end, so maybe that will work. I think Lost has done this.

http://www.agrisupply.com/manual-can...-seal/p/67670/
I've seen the thread that LOST made about his. I may go that way. Not sure yet. The bike will be down for awhile. I'm putting HDB handguards on it, and will start re greasing everything. The SC seat cover is on the way too.