User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #4471
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
First service

Took Half Pint in for first service today. Everything w/in spec, and even the tires did not need air.

$180 @ Honda & Yamaha of Knoxville (TN); they did the service while I waited. Refreshing after the ridonkulous shop rates and "it'll take X days" run-around in Las Vegas with the WRR. There was even a comfy couch to chill out on.
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #4472
Bksports88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
rear sprocket

I have a 13T in the front and want to install a 43T in the back. Do I need a bigger chain for this gear ratio?

Also, anyone that has this gear ratio how do you like it?

Instruction advice is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #4473
callison
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratthing View Post
Took Half Pint in for first service today. Everything w/in spec, and even the tires did not need air.

$180 @ Honda & Yamaha of Knoxville (TN); they did the service while I waited. Refreshing after the ridonkulous shop rates and "it'll take X days" run-around in Las Vegas with the WRR. There was even a comfy couch to chill out on.
Nice, and a good sales tactic for the Honda shop. I know the longer I wait for a service to be performed the more opportunity I have to justify to myself why I absolutely need that new 2013 CBR600RR. If I'm dropping the bike off chances are I'm in and out without ever taking the time to look at the new models.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #4474
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksports88 View Post
I have a 13T in the front and want to install a 43T in the back. Do I need a bigger chain for this gear ratio?

Thanks,
Ramz had the 13/42, then went with 13/43, he doesn't mention different chain: http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Lmods.htm#gearing

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #4475
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratthing View Post

1st service with valves? How could they do it if it was hot? I was told it needed to be cold for valves.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #4476
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
1st service with valves? How could they do it if it was hot? I was told it needed to be cold for valves.
I was wondering that too if he rode it in and they checked the valves? It should be cold to check valves. If they didn't check the valves, that was just an expensive oil change and checking some bolts.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #4477
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I was wondering that too if he rode it in and they checked the valves? It should be cold to check valves. If they didn't check the valves, that was just an expensive oil change and checking some bolts.
I rode mine in, and they did oil/filter while it was hot. Then first thing next day, checked the valve clearance, which were within spec.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #4478
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bksports88 View Post

Thanks,
Here is post I made awhile back about rear sprocket removal. I put a 42T rear sprocket on mine.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post20550232
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #4479
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
They checked the valves. The shop is probably 2.5 mi from my house, and I got there ~20 min before they opened.
=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #4480
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Anyone selling theirs?

Long story short, PO said he would pay off the lien. He did not. Repo man rang the doorbell and now I am CRF and bike less. Lesson learned.

These are harder to find than pope .... and stealership wants stupid amount and dealers cant have one before mid summer. Found the perfect one somewhere in NY state but it is just too far for my eastern Canada / Maritimes ass.

I am trying not to go to the darkside (WR250) but the prospect of a bikeless summer is getting to me and there is a decked one for an acceptable price local-ish.

Heck Boston or southern NH would be great and Maine would be perfect.
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #4481
willbeoutdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
well i finished greasing the suspension linkages and swingarm bearings. I have no experience with this kind of thing and i reckon it took me about 3.5-4 hours total time. i worked at a relatively slow pace making sure that i didn't forget anything. I left the wheel on and just took off the things in the way like brake line clips, mudflaps, rear brake spring, and black chain guard.

The suspension linkage bearings weren't too bad but the assemblers are not very generous with the grease like me the swingarm was slightly awkward to work with, mostly because the wheel being attached still and the brake line being short. The swingarm bearings were quite dry and the bolt had some rust discoloration in patches. None of the bearings were really dirty so I mostly just added new grease all over rubbing it into the bearings with my fingers. I never removed any of the needles in the bearings. My bike only has about 350 miles so i don't think you would want to wait too long before you grease it for the first time. I used the grease in my grease gun which i believe is super-tech marine trailer grease.

Having completed this I would say it is definitely worth doing and even a beginner can do it as long as you take your time and lay the parts out in the order they were taken off or you can take pictures or label the parts to keep track of what goes where. I would suggest doing it all in one day so that its fresh in your mind when you put everything back together. You will need a metric socket set and wrench set. I used my ridgid electric impact wrench for nut removal which seemed to work nicely. I don't have a bike stand so I used a ratchet strap slung over my garage roof beam and attached to my rear rack, lifted and then put a little foot stool under the skid plate and left most the weight on the stool while keeping the straps snug. Anyways, it all went well and if anyone knows of any other preliminary maintenance other than the obvious oil changes and chain lube i'm all ears
willbeoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #4482
Copperhead88
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
What are my options for folding shifters?

I like the hammerhead but forget which bike to order it for since its not made for the L

RFX looks cool too but Im worried about durability. Has anyone actually tested it? Just owning one doesnt count

Or the Apico? I think it might be the same as the RFX

Copperhead88 screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 06:37 PM
Copperhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #4483
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 211
Are there other sources for heavier rear springs other than Cogent? Not interested in a new shock right now.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #4484
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
zerking about

Quote:
... the swingarm...
Hi willbe (or anyone else who might know). Having taken the swingarm apart do you think a zerk fitting would work in there?

I did my links the other day but didn't do the arm - looked too hard and I rationalised it was under less load than the smaller pivot links.

There looks like room from the top side or even underneath to get in there with a drill and a grease gun later.

I found a drawing of the assembly: http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...-assembly.html
(screenshot below)
It looks like the swingarm bolt (4) has a sleeve (6) and the bearings (23) sit on that sleeve.

So do you recall if there was:
a. a good place to drill a hole for a zerk or two on each side without wrecking the bearings inside but that would pack the bearings, and
b. would the assembly contain the grease in the bearing region (give or take) so you don't end up pumping and pumping until the entire swingarm is holding 4lbs of grease!
Ideally the swingarm pivot cross tube area is sealed off from the actual arms. Drawing can't show that.

Thanks

Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #4485
willbeoutdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I have never installed a grease zerk before but I believe it might be possible on the swingarm. I am like 85% certain that the tube for the bolt going across is sealed off from the rest of the swingarm so only so much grease would fit in there and would not fill up the rest of the swingarm. There is a collar that slides inside the bearings and then the bolt slides inside the collar. I believe there are spots towars the middle of the swingarm that have a gap of dead space between the collar and the swingarm metal in which a zerk could be attached and would not rub on the collar. I think that if a zerk was put there it would fill all around the collar and eventually go into the bearings as well. I wish honda would have put some in from the factory because a person should not have to disassemble major parts of the bike to grease areas on a regular basis in my opinion.

These are some pics I took of the swingarm bearing:
 photo IMG_1872.jpg
 photo IMG_1873-1.jpg
willbeoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote