Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #4486
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Just a thought, but if you can't get a Zerk to work, you can drill a couple of holes in spots where the bearings will get lubed, and just use a self tapping screw to fill the hole. Reason for the holes is to simply have a place to spray in some aerosol spray grease on occasion. I usually add a dab of shoe goo or plumbers goop over the screw when replacing it to seal it and keep it from working out. I've only lost one in many times doing this. You can also do it at the steering head. A zerk and grease gun would be best, but isn't always possible to space restrictions either externally or internally. I went to alot of trouble to put in zerks on a swingarm once only to find that I couldn't get the grease gun on the zerk, then thought of the simple hole idea.

Industrial lubricant supply houses can sell you most any type of grease in a can so you can simply use the little plastic spray tube to get the grease in.

Allied Lubricants makes a waterproof red grease that sprays thin but thickens like regular grease on contact with air. Usually this type of spray grease fails to last as long as regular grease in a tube or tub, but it's so easy to just lube it a bit more often.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #4487
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Thanks willbe and jgas for your ideas.

js: not quite the same as an HD spring but you can crank up the OE spring preload by adding in a collar spacer between the loose sleeve on the shock top and the locking rings. We added half an inch to mine as I'm heavy and riding around with a load. Works well enough if you're not racing over rocks and washboard.
Was out today with no luggage and still works pretty well.

In the pic the half inch collar (sawn off a pipe and split) has been added between the sleeve on the right and the top of the shock on the left - then tacked with a bit of weld.

I was then able to back off the locking rings to midway, so giving me some adjustment in either direction.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:06 AM   #4488
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead88 View Post
What are my options for folding shifters?

I like the hammerhead but forget which bike to order it for since its not made for the L

RFX looks cool too but Im worried about durability. Has anyone actually tested it? Just owning one doesnt count

Or the Apico? I think it might be the same as the RFX
07-13 CRF150 will work.

gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #4489
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I have never greased the swing arm bushings or the head bearing on any bike that I've owned, but the KLR 650's have never come from the factory with any or very little grease on these bearing and there are probably millions of these bike still out there today with dry bearings. Now I'm now saying this is right or wrong, but it happen more then not. My conclusion is that bikes assembled in Asia don't us grease.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #4490
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Are there other sources for heavier rear springs other than Cogent? Not interested in a new shock right now.
We can provide a new spring for your OEM shock on special order. With enough demand, those could become stocked items.
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #4491
feralchimp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
ask and ye shall receive

This guy lost his job and needs to sell his brand new CRF250L. Asking $500 under MSRP. If I didn't have a deposit down on one at a dealership I'd probably be buying it.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/3763355526.html

Tell him Jared sent ya. :)

/j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Long story short, PO said he would pay off the lien. He did not. Repo man rang the doorbell and now I am CRF and bike less. Lesson learned.

These are harder to find than pope .... and stealership wants stupid amount and dealers cant have one before mid summer. Found the perfect one somewhere in NY state but it is just too far for my eastern Canada / Maritimes ass.

I am trying not to go to the darkside (WR250) but the prospect of a bikeless summer is getting to me and there is a decked one for an acceptable price local-ish.

Heck Boston or southern NH would be great and Maine would be perfect.
feralchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #4492
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Hyperpro

Just sent off an inquiry to Hyperpro about a rear shock. Us distributor is in NJ.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #4493
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post
We can provide a new spring for your OEM shock on special order. With enough demand, those could become stocked items.

Rick,

OK. Nothing against Cogent by the way. Just wondering what else was out there. What kind of pricing am I looking at?
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #4494
pandamanprod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Anyone with Big Bore Kits?

Still looking for any input on wether or not someone has a big bore kit on the CRFL. I know about ricks site, but he does not have too much information on performance increase. Looking for other input.
pandamanprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4495
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #4496
Okie03
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
07-13 CRF150 will work.

Where did you order this from? Thanks! I bent my shifter 200 yes into the trail i was riding today. So its time to purchase one.
Okie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #4497
Dago52
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
So I'm about to perform my first oil change with 300 miles on the bike. Is it safe to switch to an approved synthetic oil? I purchased some Lucas 10w30 synthetic oil with the correct additives.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #4498
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago52 View Post
So I'm about to perform my first oil change with 300 miles on the bike. Is it safe to switch to an approved synthetic oil? I purchased some Lucas 10w30 synthetic oil with the correct additives.

Thanks
Personally, I would not this early in the life of the motorcycle. You really have nothing to gain by going to synthetic at this point. Get some more miles on it with dino oil before you switch to synthetic. Although a majority of the break in has probably happened by now, you still have some time for things to seat properly and if you switch to synthetic now, you could end up with a bike with rings that don't make a good seal and use oil. So what good does that do you?

I had a bike I purchased with low miles (2k miles) and pretty new. The previous owner had put synthetic in at under 600 miles. From the beginning that bike used oil and by the time I got to 7500 miles, that bike was using a quart of oil every 1k miles!
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #4499
willbeoutdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Isn't the honda oil synthetic from the factory? I thought the honda oil from the dealer is synthetic too?
willbeoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #4500
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie03 View Post
Where did you order this from? Thanks! I bent my shifter 200 yes into the trail i was riding today. So its time to purchase one.

I bought mine from Best Dual Sport Bikes ....
I posted that pick from another forum and a reliable source that said that shifter fit perfect.

So I think as long as you get one for the CRF150 07-13 your good to go.

Mine is unbranded and came with no packaging ....

gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote