Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #4726
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Why are you guys so far away
Fly there, Ride back!......Still surprising that folks are selling mostly new bikes already.....I understand the bike being too tall for the guy's wife though......heck,I'm 5'09" and can't flat foot one.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #4727
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
I greased the swingarm bearings today. It took about half an hour start to finish. They were not packed with grease, but rather had a thin coat of a clear oil/grease on them. The whole assembly is so well sealed that I see no cause for alarm. If you put the swingarm pivot underwater regularly, maybe pop it open and put some marine grease on it. Otherwise, I think Honda knows what they are doing, and the lube is sufficient, if not traditional. I won't be opening the steering.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #4728
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Yeah, I am not to worried about greasing my steering bearings for the first year and I will be doing the swingarm bearings for peace of mind. The linkage bearings were a different story on my bike, corrosion had already started on one of the bolts and if I had waited another six months or so it would have been pretty ugly. Guys who ride offroad all the time grease all these bearings on a regular basis but for the casual gravel rider I would recommend doing all the linkage and swingarm bearings when you first buy the bike- then forget about it for a couple years!
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #4729
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Fly there, Ride back!......Still surprising that folks are selling mostly new bikes already.....I understand the bike being too tall for the guy's wife though......heck,I'm 5'09" and can't flat foot one.
Sadly the price of the plane ticket would render the savings null. I just have to wait for the '14 to come in ....
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #4730
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

In case anyone cares, I've got 800 miles on my CRF, and a cumulative average of 63.2mpg. The split it probably 60% paved, 30% dirt, and 10% fireroad and worse. This is with stock gearing and tires.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #4731
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vspec View Post
Sadly the price of the plane ticket would render the savings null. I just have to wait for the '14 to come in ....
They don't fly to the great white north, but Allegiant Air can be a killer deal for one-way flights. They fly to all sorts of odd airports with hubs at vacation destinations, and very limited flight schedules. But if you can book ahead, out of vacation season, prices are CHEAP.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #4732
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Has anyone had luck with having their dealer cut a key with the key number? My dealer has the blanks but doesn't have the accessorie(?) to cut them. I am waiting on a call Mon. to try to rectify this situation. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #4733
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
In case anyone cares, I've got 800 miles on my CRF, and a cumulative average of 63.2mpg. The split it probably 60% paved, 30% dirt, and 10% fireroad and worse. This is with stock gearing and tires.
Is that figured from the stock speedo? Chris S posted here, that the speedo/GPS reading were off:http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...-trans-nevada/

After doing the 13t sproket, and then calibrating the Speedo DRD, I am getting better mileage than before. Even though I never rode with the Garmin & the 14t, this tells me the mpg's I figured before were not correct.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #4734
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Is that figured from the stock speedo? Chris S posted here, that the speedo/GPS reading were off:http://adventure-motorcyclingh.com/2...-trans-nevada/

After doing the 13t sproket, and then calibrating the Speedo DRD, I am getting better mileage than before. Even though I never rode with the Garmin & the 14t, this tells me the mpg's I figured before were not correct.
When my bike was stock and I drove by the local speed sign wich is spot on when I am in my car .... 35 on the sign is 35 on my cars speedo. But on my bike 35 on the bikes speedo showed 29 on the sign.
gnath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #4735
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi5 View Post
Yeah, I am not to worried about greasing my steering bearings for the first year and I will be doing the swingarm bearings for peace of mind. The linkage bearings were a different story on my bike, corrosion had already started on one of the bolts and if I had waited another six months or so it would have been pretty ugly. Guys who ride offroad all the time grease all these bearings on a regular basis but for the casual gravel rider I would recommend doing all the linkage and swingarm bearings when you first buy the bike- then forget about it for a couple years!
My local race shop did a full race prep for $125.00 and to me that was money well spent. He greased everything from swingarm to suspension linkage, steering stem and all wheel bearings. and also the chain and checked out the whole bike in general.

He told me... that is standard practice on all their new race bikes and also said I would probably not need to do it again for 2 years unless I road it a lot off road.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #4736
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
35 on the bikes speedo showed 29 on the sign
That is some 20% off...
And yet mine is 8-9% off in the other direction; reads 9% less than true speed.

Odometre is even worse, but corrected mpg continues to amaze me.
Up to 9300', turned back by snow.
Round the mts to the south side along the highway (gasping down to 45mph up hill at times...)
Then an 80-mile dirt loop: 126 miles on 1.65 gals.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #4737
gnath9
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
That is some 20% off...
And yet mine is 8-9% off in the other direction; reads 9% less than true speed.

Odometre is even worse, but corrected mpg continues to amaze me.
Up to 9300', turned back by snow.
Round the mts to the south side along the highway (gasping down to 45mph up hill at times...)
Then an 80-mile dirt loop: 126 miles on 1.65 gals.
This really is weird ... your not the first person I have heard that the speedo reads slow.
One would think whatever they are off by ... they would be the same especially when it has a speed sensor and not the old school hub and cable setup.

I have the speedo calibrator and tonight on my phones GPS I was going 79 mph and the bikes speedo read 88
12 o'clock labs shows I am -11.6% for adjustments .... But I should also mention my new rear tire is taller than stock by at least an inch or so ...
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #4738
Chris S
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I also fitted a new tyre in the last week with the same increase in but can't say I noticed a difference. Will check.
Should make my speedo read even slower, right?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #4739
harveymushmann
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Are there any tank and seat kits that can make the bike have more of a competition seating position? I've been trying to learn how to dirt ride but its difficult to stay up on the tank in the turns since the seat slopes down so much.
harveymushmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #4740
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Instantaneous GPS values can be pretty far off, especially those on a smartphone. I have three LRPs, and each one reads distance perfectly (within 2%), as tested by riding a known-length section of road. Speed seems to be the same, which makes sense given that it's the same sensor, and a digital receiver.

I would seriously doubt that any LRP is more than a couple percent off when equipped with stock gearing and tires.