Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #466
goondock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Well just bought mine a couple weeks ago. Loving it so far. I hated the rear fender/reflector business so rather than buying something i figured i would get out the dremmel and heat gun first to see if i can make something work.

DIY fender eliminator project. VERY easy only took me about an hour because i was taking things slow.

First i took the metal bracket off that the plate mounts to. put some blue tape around the plastic and mounted the license plate where the metal bracket was mounted. Traced around the plate for my cut guides. Unbolted the plate and started cutting. At the top, where it mounts back under the tail light I just angle cut it back under to make it look nice and clean. Gave it a quick edge sanding to clean it up and done! well i thought i was done.. It still sat pretty straight down so i busted out the heat gun. Took the plate off and heated the plastic where the natural crease is, bent it up then sprayed some cool water on it and there we go. Jsut angled it up a bit. It was fun, personally i like the look and cant beat the cost.. FREE! next thing I would like to do is replace the license plate light with something smaller or modify the current one to bring it in closer. Here are some photos.

Future mods, HDB hand guards and mirrors, fmf slip on, possibly the powerbomb, and currently working on a wrap to give it some style.

goondock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #467
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
Well just bought mine a couple weeks ago. Loving it so far. I hated the rear fender/reflector business so rather than buying something i figured i would get out the dremmel and heat gun first to see if i can make something work.

DIY fender eliminator project. VERY easy only took me about an hour because i was taking things slow.

First i took the metal bracket off that the plate mounts to. put some blue tape around the plastic and mounted the license plate where the metal bracket was mounted then traced around where the plate was, unbolted the plate and started cutting.then at the top just angle cut it back under to make it look nice and clean. gave it some sanding to clean up the edge and done! well i thought i was done.. it still sat pretty straight down so i busted out the heat gun. took the plate off and heated the plastic where the natural crease is bent it up then sprayed some cool water on it and there we go jsut angled up a bit. it was fun, personally i like the look and cant beat the cost.. FREE! next thing i would like to do is replace the license plate light with something smaller or modify the current one to bring it in closer. Here are some photos.

future mods, HDB hand guards and mirrors, fmf slip on, possibly the powerbomb, and currently working on a wrap to give it some style.

Looks good, I like it.

joec63 screwed with this post 10-11-2012 at 08:37 AM
joec63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #468
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
Any HP gain when you only start with 18 is significant equivalent to a 15-20% increase in power is amazing I have a Wr250r and just taking it from 25 stock to 29 modified made a world of difference in real world rideability just my 2 cents! It's great the aftermarket is supporting this bike so well a big part of owning these cheap bikes is having fun playing with the mods and sharing them with the community.
If your looking for torque just reheat it my buddy went 13-48 and its great can still ride the highway although we font much. I agree more informative numbers would be nice! But hey the bike out the door is only 5000 so what the heck dropping 800 and programmer header and can is nothing even if it just makes it go bbbrrraaappp!
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #469
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Just regear it damn auto correct
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #470
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
... I would be more interested in seeing the difference in torque. That is more important to a dirt bike...
You can make your own torque curve by multiplying the hp X 5252 and dividing by rpm. That gives torque in ft.-lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
... but HP in the higher revs is a little misleading. Torque is what you mostly feel...
All the torque in the world won't move your bike a flippin mm. It's not until torque turns the wheel that it does work. Then it becomes hp.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #471
SugarDust
Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEKAMOUSE View Post
If your looking for torque just reheat it my buddy went 13-48 and its great can still ride the highway although we font much. ....

on the 13-48 did he have to gt a new chain as well? - just a thought, your buddy should join in here too

2013 KTM 250 XC-W
2013 Honda CRF250L
2011 BMW F650GS

SugarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #472
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep New chain too just went big and cut down don't know exact # of links we didn't count
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #473
TypeSH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Do not use these if you go off road. I've had 2 on my DRZ and they bend super easy. Both times I bent one it ruined my weekend ride, the second time I also burnt up my clutch as I was stuck in 3rd in a OHV park. I would carry the stock one as a spare with your tools if you do get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Does anyone think the shifter for a CRF/R/X would work on this bike? Oh and the Seatconcepts seat is ready.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #474
Glennius
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Anyone went from CRF230L to CRF250L? I'm interested in how these two compare.
I just replaced the 2008 CRF 230L with a '13 250L!

Alot bigger bike....it's TALL compared to the 230. I loved boting around town on it but way more torque on the 250...10 more MPG and very crisp throttle response due to the fuel injection (keihin) and the 4 vlaves.

Motor is buttery smooth (counterbalancer and roller followers) as the 230 was old technology but extremely durable.

I love this bike! So far...

cu,
Glenn.
Glennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #475
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Already ordering stuff before I even have the bike. Amazon (Motorcycle Superstore) has Neutec TUbliss 21/18 for $175.43, free shipping, subject to change at any time.
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #476
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
Oh and the Seatconcepts seat is ready.
Ordered mine just a few minutes ago. I'm not expecting a Russell Day Long like my FJR has, but ANYTHING has to be better than the stock seat! My number one complaint about the bike.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #477
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSH View Post
Do not use these if you go off road. I've had 2 on my DRZ and they bend super easy. Both times I bent one it ruined my weekend ride, the second time I also burnt up my clutch as I was stuck in 3rd in a OHV park. I would carry the stock one as a spare with your tools if you do get one.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #478
joec63 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Ordered mine just a few minutes ago. I'm not expecting a Russell Day Long like my FJR has, but ANYTHING has to be better than the stock seat! My number one complaint about the bike.
Yeah, the stocker is very hard.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #479
willu707
Will, 2006 Yamaha XT225

Oddometer: 45
Has anyone tried to finance one of these bikes? I know their only about $5K, but I just don't have that laying around LoL. Just curious what its like payment wise, insurance, etc. I know there are many factors that vary the equation in that question, but just trying to get a general idea. I love the look of the bike, and i think it would be a great upgrade from my 2006 XT225. I might just hold off and save for a few months, but I have a car loan from Honda so I thought that might make getting a bike loan easier.
-1998 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic: Leather Saddle Bags
willu707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #480
cybertrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by willu707 View Post
Has anyone tried to finance one of these bikes? I know their only about $5K, but I just don't have that laying around LoL. Just curious what its like payment wise, insurance, etc. I know there are many factors that vary the equation in that question, but just trying to get a general idea. I love the look of the bike, and i think it would be a great upgrade from my 2006 XT225. I might just hold off and save for a few months, but I have a car loan from Honda so I thought that might make getting a bike loan easier.
Credit unions!!!! They have the best rates even if your credit isn't the greatest. I've never had a dealership ever beat my credit union's rate. BTW, bankrate.com has an auto loan payment calculator. Also, dmv.ca.gov has a registration fee calculator.
cybertrip is offline   Reply With Quote