User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #4876
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Vzuke:

Absolutely stunning! Certainly a labor of love so your wife can ride with you.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #4877
Vspec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post

The whole family wants in on the action. Three Little (Red) Pigs!

That is a lot of littles piggies!
Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #4878
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Congrats Sanjoh. Sarah is absolutely loving her CRF. You are right it has great torque and doesn't require winding out like the WRR motor.

IMS is first working on around a 3.1 tank. Latest news is they are about 2-3 weeks out?

From a buddy of mine that has been talking to them.

Quote:
Rcvd a call from IMS, tank mold is done they are working on the placement of the brass inserts. Maybe 2 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Picked up a used CRF250L

What a great motor, it has the torque I expected from the WR! It is so quiet, kinda funny when you "hear" the motor, look down to find you are going way faster than you should

Any news on a larger tank for the Honda?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #4879
feralchimp
n00b

Oddometer: 3
finally!

After months of waiting, my local dealer found one: another dealer's demo model with ~60 miles on it. I trust Honda to build a counterbalanced single that'll put up with some demo hooning right out of the crate (seat that ring!) and if all goes as planned it should be plated and ready for pickup TODAY.

This'll be my first dirt-capable ride, but honestly I'm just as interested in getting 60+ mpg around town.
feralchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #4880
goldham
Super Geek

Oddometer: 18
Install / Review: RDC Tail Light With Stock Turn Signals

My RDC tail light came in yesterday. Was reassembling the bike after the first valve check and decided to stay up a little later and install the tail light.

**Disclaimer - None of this should be used as a tutorial, this is only an opinion on the product. Install at your own risk**

First Impressions: Fit and finish of bracket and tail light are great. Bracket lined up perfectly with mounting holes on the sub frame and had a nice powder coating on it.

Installation: Instructions were simple enough. As long as you can read and aren't color blind, you'll be able to get it done. One thing I did as an extra was solder all the wires together, heat shrink, and then wrap them with electrical tape. I've just never been a fan of using crimp connectors on anything that sees a lot of vibration/movement. If anyone would like a write up on soldering this set up just let me know. If I wasn't so anxious to see what it looked like on the bike, I would have slowed down and taken pictures.

Gripes: Only gripe I have is the license plate mounting area. As seen in the picture below, you cannot easily install a flush mount license plate bracket because the hanger in the kit is just a bit too wide and partially covers the holes of the license plate. Two options that I thought of were to get a bracket that was raised a bit (like the stock bracket), or drill the license plate. I didn't want a raised license plate and interpreted the law (I am NOT a lawyer, proceed at own risk) that it is legal to drill holes for mounting purposes (CA DMV Rule Link).

Pictures of license plate bracket supplied with kit in relation to mounting holes in plate:

I should note the tail light's product page states that you may need an additional bracket to mount your license plate so I was aware of this possible challenge ahead of time. Although I wish it was just a little bit smaller so the bolts would clear the kit's bracket allowing for a flush bracket to be installed.

Brake Light Performance: Pictures below. From my eyeball light meter test, it is brighter than stock both during running mode and with brakes applied.

Final Thought: Great product. Definitely recommend if you're looking for a smaller and brighter tail light that allows you to use stock turn signals while shedding the ugly stock tail section.

Pictures:

Lights in garage on

Light in garage off

goldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #4881
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Congrats Sanjoh. Sarah is absolutely loving her CRF. You are right it has great torque and doesn't require winding out like the WRR motor.

IMS is first working on around a 3.1 tank. Latest news is they are about 2-3 weeks out?

From a buddy of mine that has been talking to them.
Thanks for the update!

I'm sure the wife will enjoy it after the XT. In the mean time I get to test ride it!

The bike seems setup for more weight than the typical jap bike. That being said the shock rebound dampening is severly lacking! I'm sure there are 6-9 hundred dollar replacement shocks out there but seriously has anyone found a reasonably priced rear shock replacement?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #4882
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
After months of waiting, my local dealer found one: another dealer's demo model with ~60 miles on it. I trust Honda to build a counterbalanced single that'll put up with some demo hooning right out of the crate (seat that ring!)
I agree, and drove mine like I stole it from day 1.

Quote:
and if all goes as planned it should be plated and ready for pickup TODAY.
Congrats!

Quote:
This'll be my first dirt-capable ride, but honestly I'm just as interested in getting 60+ mpg around town.
I have just as much fun around town as on the dirt. Rowing the lower gears is fun, and it scoots great in the 30-50mph range. The stock tires look knobby, but they grip!
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #4883
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
This just came up on CL, I already have one, but for someone who lives close it could be a good buy. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3836424293.html

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #4884
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I like the new DRZ Tail lamp.

John

trainman screwed with this post 05-29-2013 at 06:02 PM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #4885
RuffnReadyXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I've been eying this bike for a while, cheap sticker price, looks good and it's efi. Not to mention the rave reviews! Looks like Hondas special on 3.99 fixed APR runs out next month so I might just pull the trigger in the next week or two. I've seen zero used ones in my area. What have you guys been paying OTD on these new?
RuffnReadyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #4886
RuffnReadyXJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffnReadyXJ View Post
I've been eying this bike for a while, cheap sticker price, looks good and it's efi. Not to mention the rave reviews! Looks like Hondas special on 3.99 fixed APR runs out next month so I might just pull the trigger in the next week or two. I've seen zero used ones in my area. What have you guys been paying OTD on these new?
My god, that's my first post? I've been a lurker for 3 years almost
RuffnReadyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4887
Auto-X Fil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610

Pump is strapped to the bars, now I just need a good place to stick a spare tube.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #4888
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Looks great, can you show a close up shot of your lower bracket?
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #4889
Woody2627
Skinny Decaf Latte Thanks

Oddometer: 897
I had a tool tube like that on my BMW. Broke off in less than 60 Ks, goodbye BMW tool kit. I reckon it was mounted more solidly than yours appears to be, so if I were you I would be very careful.
Woody2627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #4890
lccpmj
Totes amaze balls

Oddometer: 13
Bike hard to start when left for more than a week

Hi Everyone, My bike takes around 10 tries to start after being left for over a week. I use the normal starting procedure - don't touch the throttle and thumb the starter. The engine turns over but fails to fire, it eventually starts but I have to try varying throttle positions before it will fire. Is there a different starting method if the bikes been left for a while? If used on a daily basis or every other day, the bikes starts first time. Cheers.
lccpmj is offline   Reply With Quote