Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #5056
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Im looking at the LRP over the KLR,my habit of just jumping over the cliff is helped by the fact my dealer can't get many and the ones coming are all spoken for,I hope the used market has some soon but people seem to like these bikes and probably won't be doing the "it's to small" trade up.I like hearing distance rides because I do about 12000 miles a year between commuting and using a bike as my only vehicle.The KLR has worked but I need a new women in my life,it's been a year.
I have both, and really like both the KLR and the CRF. They are alike and different all at the same time. Just completed a very nice ride down into northern PA with the KLR....day 1 was perfect....day 2 was a nasty wet slog. Both bikes did, or could have done the ride no sweat....but I was sure glad I had the KLR...better seat (both are stock), better wind protection, heated grips, more luggage space, and much bigger gas tank....WAAAAY better choice. Even accessorized to the same level, the CRF woulda been a poor choice....especially the tiny tank. Considering the mileage you ride, and it being the only vehicle, don',t give up the KLR. Considering the price of the CRF, keep shopping...wait for a good price...and pray for the 2015 CRF to become a 300 or a 325.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #5057
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I have both, and really like both the KLR and the CRF. They are alike and different all at the same time. Just completed a very nice ride down into northern PA with the KLR....day 1 was perfect....day 2 was a nasty wet slog. Both bikes did, or could have done the ride no sweat....but I was sure glad I had the KLR...better seat (both are stock), better wind protection, heated grips, more luggage space, and much bigger gas tank....WAAAAY better choice. Even accessorized to the same level, the CRF woulda been a poor choice....especially the tiny tank. Considering the mileage you ride, and it being the only vehicle, don',t give up the KLR. Considering the price of the CRF, keep shopping...wait for a good price...and pray for the 2015 CRF to become a 300 or a 325.
Thanks,what I really need to do is keep the KLR and make it my street bike,and get something with a plate that's lighter for dirt,Im small and the KLR has limited my dirt riding to zero single track,but it does great on most everything else and cruises the freeway well,but I miss the outback rides,and yes 250 miles to a a tank is hard to lose!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #5058
Buckshot77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
250L air

Buckshot77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #5059
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot77 View Post

Your not helping my decision to go buy a new bike,you may hear from my wife when she finds out you can jump these things,she was never happy with my Evil Kenevil antics on my YZ250 cause I wipe out.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #5060
Auto-X Fil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonder View Post
In that write up, you talk about having to increase the size of the exhaust shims.

The Street version of this bike has a much larger exhaust shim freeplay (nearly twice that of the intake) allowing (I would guess) for more expansion of the hotter valve.

Double check the specs in the service manual for the 250L and see if the exhaust valve lash is greater than the intake valve lash.

Otherwise, it was a great write up.
The specs I have are 0.16 +/- 0.03mm for the intake, and 0.27 +/- 0.03mm for the exhaust.

Mine were pretty centered within that tolerance when I finally checked them at 2k miles.
Auto-X Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #5061
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

8 Lives & Buckshot:

jumping that poor crf onto gravel with no elbow or knee protection? No wonder your wife is on your ass!

Ed@Ford screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 10:08 AM
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #5062
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X Fil View Post
The specs I have are 0.16 +/- 0.03mm for the intake, and 0.27 +/- 0.03mm for the exhaust.

Mine were pretty centered within that tolerance when I finally checked them at 2k miles.
Auto-x...you are exactly right.....but use the narrower feeler gages as suggested recently....and I had the same thing at 600 miles....no reshimming needed
Old 06-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #5063
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:
8 Lives & Buckshot:

jumping that poor crf onto gravel with no elbow or knee protection? No wonder your wife is on your ass!
I've been accused of doing dumb stuff before and will continue too no matter what mom says,and that's the story Im stuck with and it often hurts on cold damp days.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #5064
EEKAMOUSE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Hi

I get today my new Shock .

YSS made in Thailand for the CRF 250L

10mm length adjustment

60 clicks rebound damping

2 years Warranty 9500 THB (304 USD) at the local modify shop

Only Problem is the CRF stand 1200 km from my Workshop where
the goodies pile up until end of Sepember
How bout a part # or website to order from! There is a yss distributor on the east coast in Jersey the part # would help us all out to get this Lil gem
EEKAMOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #5065
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
8 Lives & Buckshot:

I used to do stuff like that all the time. That was back when I knew I was invincible. Crash, dust yourself off, and blast off again. Never broke any bones on bikes, and I'm leaning on my experience to keep me out of trouble now. When I see something up ahead that looks questionable, I turn around, especially when you aren't riding with somebody else. But, I've had more fun on the CRF, than with nearly all the other bikes I've had recently, most all of which have been street bikes. 92 degrees here today.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #5066
8lives
Runnin on wonder

I used to be a Logger,and Rode Bulls for a sport,my body likes to remind me of these things,my mind still remembers with good stories about both hobbies and occupation.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #5067
JRaye89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapchik View Post
Has anyone figured out a different gas cap yet? I don't want to paint the factory one, but that seems to be the only option so far.
I plasti-dipped mine black. Its $5 for a can of it. You can peel the plasti-dip off easily if you don't like it and it doesn't hurt the chrome. It looks way better and the color matches the tank so it almost blends in. I love it now.

Josh
JRaye89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #5068
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRaye89 View Post
I plasti-dipped mine black. Its $5 for a can of it. You can peel the plasti-dip off easily if you don't like it and it doesn't hurt the chrome. It looks way better and the color matches the tank so it almost blends in. I love it now.

Josh
Still waiting for the IMS tank to be available. You can pre-order from CRF's only, but based on my purchase of the 13t front sproket, they will probably charge $7,000 to ship it.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #5069
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Whatever 250 I end up with I will probably try the Kolpin fuel pack jr,it's not perfect but for the price you get 1.5 gallons when you need it and it looks like because it's flat you can pile touring junk on it,and set it aside when not using it.Anyone have any thoughts on this?Big tanks are nice but spendy.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #5070
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Whatever 250 I end up with I will probably try the Kolpin fuel pack jr,it's not perfect but for the price you get 1.5 gallons when you need it and it looks like because it's flat you can pile touring junk on it,and set it aside when not using it.Anyone have any thoughts on this?Big tanks are nice but spendy.
Yup....I went to a lot of fuss when I first got my CRF to put that Kolpin on my CRF cause I was paranoid about the little tank. Haven't had a need for it. Some comments were made about their filler necks being leaky...mine hasn't leaked. But IF I get into some really long rides out west, I think Iwould go with side mount racks and keep the tank vertical instead of flat.